Verifying that my LUN configuration is correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisherSweet

Contributor
I'm running iSCSI to share multiple iSCSI targets. Since I'm new to iSCSI I'm concerned I have the LUN IDs or other settings setup incorrectly.

Here's how I'm connecting:
  • I'm running globalSAN Initiator on the connecting Mac Mini (mac-data).
  • I'm running the built-in iSCSI Initiator in Windows 2012 R2 running in Parallels VM on Mac Mini (starscream-backup)
  • I'm running the built-in iSCSI Initiator in Windows 8.1 in Parallels VM on Mac Pro (bonecrusher-data and bonecrusher-backup)
Should there be a unique LUN ID for each Target-Extent combination?

Or, should there be a unique LUN ID for each Target?

Or, is there some other rule one should be following when assigning LUN IDs?

Let me know if you need more setup information. Thank you.

Server iSCSI config:
2017-07-05_07-34-52.png

2017-07-05_07-33-37.png

2017-07-05_07-30-05.png

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Did you decide upon a method or get the answer to your question?

SwisherSweet

Contributor
Did you decide upon a method or get the answer to your question?

Seeking a pure theoretical answer about iSCSI setup, I got the following answer from ServerFault.com:

If you are going to mount different devices (extents) to the same host, the corresponding LUNs should have unique IDs. In another case, you can end up facing various weird issues when remounting datastores / CSVs.

However, whenever I asked for a clarification (below) I got crickets:

So each target-extent needs to be unique, but LUN Ids can be reused in other target-extent combinations? If so, then my configuration as shown in my question is correct?

Do you know the answer? :)

D

dlavigne

I asked our iSCSI dev and got this answer:

LUN IDs are target-specific. Different targets may use same IDs. The only requirement to remember is that vmware does not like lun id change, thinking it is a lun snapshot.

SwisherSweet

Contributor
I asked our iSCSI dev and got this answer:

LUN IDs are target-specific. Different targets may use same IDs. The only requirement to remember is that vmware does not like lun id change, thinking it is a lun snapshot.

Thank you for doing that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.