two volume - iSCSI LUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickygm

Explorer
Hi forum , I am building a FreeNAS 11-u2 with multipath for proxmox HA to 10GB network, and I have two volume created, now I want to associate the target in iSCSI for these two volumes, but I have a doubt and I want your advice.

When associating the first volume I choose LUN 0 in both target

To associate the second volume I choose the LUN 1 in both target

But I'm not sure if this is the best practice.

iSCSIA --------> LUN 0 ------> volume1
iSCSIB --------> LUN 0 ------> volume1

iSCSIA --------> LUN 1 ------> volume2
iSCSIB --------> LUN 1 ------> volume2

thank for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas102

Explorer
Hi,
Everything I read about sharing iscsi target says you need to have some kind of "cluster" to synchronises the hosts when they access the shared block device.
I think this is the hard part you have to look for first.
I am on the way of NFS for this reason.

Stux

MVP
Hi,
Everything I read about sharing iscsi target says you need to have some kind of "cluster" to synchronises the hosts when they access the shared block device.
I think this is the hard part you have to look for first.
I am on the way of NFS for this reason.

If you are sharing a single block device amongst multiple clients, then the clients/block device need to be using a cluster aware fs. Most aren't.

Generally, you need to think of an iscsi LUN as a physical disk, connected via ethernet. You wouldn't connect a single harddrive to multiple computers at the same time... if you physically could... would you? They'd all write/read over the top of each other.

That's why you need to use a cluster aware FS... it *knows* about others reading/writing to the disk.

I don't know if ProxMox knows how to do this or not.

genBTC

Dabbler
I think if the cluster FS does support it, you can just do something like
b8b3a193f9.png

and connect to 1 target from both clients, making sure they are aware that something else is also writing the target LUN behind its back.
That is pretty advanced so good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.