Drive Replacement

Fastline

Patron
Hello,

So, i have my old NAS which has 6x10TB. One of the disk has a CRC error and is causing issues. Unfortunately, i don't have the same model drive anymore. Back then, i did not buy one or two as a spare. However, I do have the same capacity drive and the same lineup. But the issue is it has a different firmware than rest of the drives and is also higher in terms of specs such as cache speed, workload etc. So my question is would it effect my pool in any way?

Will it make any impact on the pool? Will be my data at risk? Will it cause any data integrity issues?

Thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
None of these. Just replace the defective drive.

Davvo

MVP
So my question is would it effect my pool in any way?

Will it make any impact on the pool? Will be my data at risk? Will it cause any data integrity issues?
No.

CRC errors doesn't always mean you need to replace the drive.

Fastline

Patron
None of these. Just replace the defective drive.
Thank God! Will do that. Thank you again :)

So, basically, the drive should be of the same capacity right? Same lineup would be much better right? For example, EXOS with EXOS (if replacing single or multiple defective drive instead of all of them).

danb35

Hall of Famer
the drive should be of the same capacity right?
Same or larger.
Same lineup would be much better right?
Eh, not really. You definitely wouldn't want a drive that's slower than the rest of the drives in the vdev, and it'd be a waste to use one that's faster. It'd be good to use one that's rated for 24x7 workloads. But same manufacturer/series? Not on my radar.

Fastline

Patron
No.

CRC errors doesn't always mean you need to replace the drive.
Okay. Well, i need to cause, the performance is decreasing like crazy. First it was 100% then it is now 90%. Moreover, everytime BIOS reports SMART error asking to replace the drive. Moreover, it causes the whole system and sometimes file transfer freeze. But when the drive is removed, its all normal.

Fastline

Patron
Same or larger.

Eh, not really. You definitely wouldn't want a drive that's slower than the rest of the drives in the vdev, and it'd be a waste to use one that's faster. It'd be good to use one that's rated for 24x7 workloads. But same manufacturer/series? Not on my radar.
Got it. Thanks for clearing it up.

Also, i have got another question.

For example, i have 8 drives and let's say there are 6 onboard SATA ports. So, can i use those 6 onboard SATA ports and then drive two more from the SAS or vice-versa? Will be there any negative impact in terms of reliability? Will it effect drive/pool speed or affect the data integrity in any manner?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Fastline

Patron
Guys, can anyone tell me if LSI 93XX or 94XX supports PCIe 4.0 NVMe (U.2) drives?

Davvo

MVP

Etorix

Wizard
U.2 devices are best plugged directly to the computer than through a tri-mode "HBA". Use adapters from PCIe or M.2 slots are required.

Etorix

Wizard
No risk, just a loss of performance because what should be a direct NVMe transaction goes through the SCSI stack instead.
And a PCIe 3.0 card obviously serves PCIe 4.0 devices as 3.0.

Fastline

Patron
No risk, just a loss of performance because what should be a direct NVMe transaction goes through the SCSI stack instead.
Hmm. How much is the performance loss though?

And a PCIe 3.0 card obviously serves PCIe 4.0 devices as 3.0.
Ah, i see. Of course, its backwards compatible but i was looking for an actual PCIe 4.0. I guess 9500-16i is PCIe 4.0 and supports native U.2 SSDs?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Of course, its backwards compatible but i was looking for an actual PCIe 4.0
Are you really going to see a loss in performance on these devices if they "only" have four lanes of PCIe 3.0 available?

Fastline

Patron
Are you really going to see a loss in performance on these devices if they "only" have four lanes of PCIe 3.0 available?
Sorry, but can you please explain what you're trying to say? I'm still learning

Etorix

Wizard
Hmm. How much is the performance loss though?
Here are some figure and tables to ponder (direct NVMe vs. 9600-series RAID controller in Dell servers):
With respect to the conclusion, mind that ZFS would be "software-defined storage", so a case where one wants direct drives.

Sorry, but can you please explain what you're trying to say? I'm still learning
You shouldn't confuse the theoretical maximal performance (interface speed) with what you can actually achieve, and much less what you can actually use.
It would help to know your use case, your performance requirements, and your hardware (server and drives).

Fastline

Patron
Here are some figure and tables to ponder (direct NVMe vs. 9600-series RAID controller in Dell servers):
With respect to the conclusion, mind that ZFS would be "software-defined storage", so a case where one wants direct drives.

You shouldn't confuse the theoretical maximal performance (interface speed) with what you can actually achieve, and much less what you can actually use.
It would help to know your use case, your performance requirements, and your hardware (server and drives).
Got it. Still systems are under several tests so the production hardware is not confirmed yet. I've been currently testing with the spare hardware i have.

I have a tower and it will be soon a production NAS. I'm looking to add a couple of drives. Should i go for SATA or SAS? Are there any caveats between the two?

Thanks

Last edited: