SmartCtl Issues/ USB Drive Issues

clifford64

Explorer
Has anyone had issues getting smartctl tests and information since upgrading to TrueNAS 13?

I have been in the process of upgrading my drives. I have been buying elements and easy stores and schucking them. Before I Schuck, I run a smart short and long test. Then I run a bad blocks test.

I have never had any problems running this from the USB drives and even putting red drives in the USB enclosure and running the tests before swapping them into my system. The issues started as soon as I upgraded to TrueNAS 13. Specifically 13 U1 is when I really noticed it.

I bought an elements and I thought it was a bad drive because the short test would run without problems, but the long test would hang after 15 minutes and I wouldn't be able to pull smart info via smartctl until I unplugged and plugged the drive back in. I returned the drive and got a red plus. Same issue with the smart tests. Running a bad blocks would keep the drive more active and I would be able to run a long test, but it would never finish. Could very well be another drive as this one I did put into my system and started getting ata errors.

I then purchased a few other red drives on Amazon prime day and these are same model drives I have used before with no issues at all. Same story though. Long tests don't complete when plugged in via USB.

Any ideas?

TLDR; testing drives via USB no longer works on TrueNAS 13.

clifford64

Explorer
Update, it is possible the drive it going to sleep after inactivity causing the long test to timeout. When it does this, the smartctl -a /dev/da12 command times out the first time while the drive wakes up, and then it works if I run it a second time. It doesn't show any information about the long test, although sometimes it has shown that it was aborted by host.

Although, I am not sure why the drive would be going to sleep as it has never done this in the past.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you rolled your boot drive back to the previous version of TrueNAS and tested it out? If the smartctl command works properly again then I'd recommend a bug report, and you evaluate if you should just stay on the working version or not.

The problem you are having sounds so familiar to me but it was a long time ago and I don't recall the fix, if there was a fix.

clifford64

Explorer
Have you rolled your boot drive back to the previous version of TrueNAS and tested it out? If the smartctl command works properly again then I'd recommend a bug report, and you evaluate if you should just stay on the working version or not.

The problem you are having sounds so familiar to me but it was a long time ago and I don't recall the fix, if there was a fix.

Unfortunately, I jumped the gun too soon and I already upgraded my pool. I don't think I would be able to to roll back. I hadn't experienced any issues upgrading to 13 until I bought new drives which were a couple months after the upgrade.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Unfortunately, I jumped the gun too soon and I already upgraded my pool
My advice, never upgrade your pool unless you know a new feature will benefit you, and then only after having run the system for an appreciable amount of time. I haven't updated my pool since I initially installed my current drive set. It's a tuff lesson to learn and I learned mine a long time ago.

clifford64

Explorer
My advice, never upgrade your pool unless you know a new feature will benefit you, and then only after having run the system for an appreciable amount of time. I haven't updated my pool since I initially installed my current drive set. It's a tuff lesson to learn and I learned mine a long time ago.
Yeah, I have always been latest and greatest when it comes to homelab.