Disk Replacement

heldchen

Cadet
Hi,

i set up a new server for Truenas. 1 Pool with 2 SSD für System, and it workes perfect. Now i wanted to test a pool of HDD, get 4 of them into the system and build a z1 pool. Now i wanted to simulate a drive replacement for a faulty or damaged drive. No encryption no dedup or other things. I took of the drive physicaly, like it should be with a damaged electronic or equal things. I marked the removed drive as offline in Pool Status. Then i put a new drive to the same connection, go to pool status and push replace. Here i can choose the new devide da2 , and when i do so, the replace button is marked as pushable. But i cannot push it. It does nothing when i hit the button. I tried to choose "force" also, but the same happens-nothing. What to do??

heldchen

Cadet
Oh, Replacement HDD is same model with same size withzout any partitions or something else!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Are you using TrueNAS 13? (seems you are... since the thread is in that section)... maybe you should read the release notes:

See the workaround at the bottom of the page.

profwalken

Patron
tryed the same but unfortunatelly in my case process fails displaying "device is too small" and they are same size HDD 2Tb but not same brand and model, one is WD red and the one I try to attach is Seagate Ironwolf , they are both 2TB disks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Drive sizes are pretty well standardized these days, so you wouldn't ordinarily expect to see an error like this. Can you post the output of smartctl -i /dev/adaX for the old and the new drive?

profwalken

Patron
The result for ada1 new disk I try to attach
1654409660583.png

Result for ada2 old disk with datas
1654409825832.png

profwalken

Patron
When i try to extend Vdev Volume1 I get this
Code:
Erreur: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 391, in __run_body
    rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/attach_disk.py", line 86, in attach
    await job.wrap(extend_job)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 484, in wrap
    raise CallError(subjob.exception)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 212, in extend
    i['target'].attach(newvdev)
  File "libzfs.pyx", line 392, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 212, in extend
    i['target'].attach(newvdev)
  File "libzfs.pyx", line 2092, in libzfs.ZFSVdev.attach
libzfs.ZFSException: device is too small

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 243, in _process_worker
    r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 111, in main_worker
    res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run
    return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 215, in extend
    raise CallError(str(e), e.code)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_BADDEV] device is too small
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 386, in __run_body
    rv = await self.middleware._call_worker(self.method_name, *self.args, job={'id': self.id})
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1276, in _call_worker
    return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1192, in run_in_proc
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1166, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_BADDEV] device is too small

1654413877857.png

sretalla