Disks not spinning down

Kosta

Contributor
Hello,
I've set disks to spin down after 10 minutes (only for testing). However, they do not spin down.
I disconnected or moved everything from that VDEV, all I could think of. There are still data on it, obviously.
I've set adv. power management to 1 and sleep time to 10. Also checked force.
I am using following command in SSH:
camcontrol epc da3 -c status -P
This is what I get: Current power state: PM0:Active or PM1:Idle(0xff)
This should be standby if I understand it correctly.
Am I missing something?

ragametal

Contributor
I managed to put my disks on standby but i set their power management to 126 in where the disks use the maximum power while allowing them to spin down.

I have not tried to set the disks to 1 which i believe is considered "sleep". I personally did not want to put them to "sleep" because i was concerned that they could go "offline" if they did. I have no data to back those concerns so you might be fine.

Anyway, I can think about 2 things you can try.

1-Move the "system dataset" from the data pool (that is using the disks you want to spin down) to the boot pool. This is because TrueNAS writes its logs to the System Database every +/- 5 seconds. This action will prevent your disks from spinning down if the System Dataset is located on those disks.
system dataset.jpg

2- Make sure to change the "Power Mode" settings for the S.M.A.R.T service accordingly. I set it to "Stand-by" but in your case it may make more sense to use "Sleep". If you don't, the smart service will run its diagnostics every 30 minutes which will wake up your disks.
SMART Standby.jpg

At least on my system, these settings allowed my disks to spindown.

Attachments

• SMART sleep.jpg
    SMART sleep.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 504

Davvo

MVP
This might be helpful.