Drives spin up for a few seconds

sashkus

Cadet
Hello!

I have a TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U2 on AsRock J4125-ITX motherboard with 3 Segate NAS HDDS as a pool and one ADATA SSD as a system disk.

I have configured each of my 3 HDD drives of the pool to spin down after some short time. They do spin down, but often they wake up just for a few seconds and then they "sleep" immidiately again.

The smart is configured as "force standby" for each of my drives individually, the dataset is on the boot partition and not on the spin-down-pool, I have no any jails.

I have configured SMART service period to 604800 seconds (one week) and the disks do not spin up immidiatally, but after some time, like every 10 minutes just for a second.

If I disable SMART on each of disks instead of force sleep option, the disks stay down much longer but still wake up periodically.

It seems to be the "SMART force standby does not work properly".

How to make my pool down and wake it up only if I need to read or write any file to my NAS storage? Still SMART service would be usefull at least once a week.

! - Please do not answer "you should not spin down your disks", as such answer is not related to my question at all. - !

Thank you for help!

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Disks will spin up when something needs to access them. The latter seems to not match your observed usage/what you expect. Don't shoot the messenger, but that is how things work. In 1998 it took me days to configure my Linux server to only use the dial-up (no always-on broadband available at the time for less than a couple of hundreds of Euros per month) when I wanted; sendmail was a particular nightmare. So, you will either need to say good-bye to disks spinning down, or you need to find out what causes them to spin up. TrueNAS is not made for this scenario. That does not mean you cannot make it work. But you need to be willing to spend some time on it.