Drives keep spinning up

csax

Dabbler
Hello Everybody

I am building my second TrueNAS system and came across an issue with my drives. I configured the system to spin down the drives if no activity within 30 minutes. It's mainly a comfort feature and the idea to turn off something that is not used, rather than idling around. I did this for years now and have seen a positive effect on the drives when operated under windows server and since this option is there with TrueNAS I would like to keep it that way.

The system is based on a Supermicro x10DRi with Dual Xenon E5 2600 v4 with 126GB ECC Ram (HP Chips) and dual I350 1Gbps NIC's (in the same subnet)
There are three RaidZ2 Pools each with four disks for storage. Each disk is connected to a LSI 9207-8i Controller (two in total)
-- Pool1: 4x Seagate ST14000NE0008 ==> HDD Standby 30, Level 1, Smart Enabled
-- Pool1: 4x Seagate ST12000NE0008 ==> HDD Standby 30, Level 1, Smart Enabled
-- Pool1: 4x WD Red WDC WD60EFRX-68M ==> HDD Standby 30, Level 1, Smart Enabled
Plugins and VM are hosted on 2x Barracuda 250GB SSD and 2x WD Red 1TB SSD respectively.

Now the spin down after 30 minutes works well for all pools. However, the Seagate pools spin up after a couple of seconds. It is not the SMART Timer configured in Services/SMART, since I tested this changing it which had no effect on the spin up. The drives keep on spinning up after spin down unless I deactivate SMART on the disks directly. Stopping the service unfortunately does not work, it has to be on the disk level to keep the disks from starting up again.
The problem is obvious, when SMART is disabled. So I'd prefer it to be on. Interesting enough the WD Pool works fine. The never spin up unless there really is disk access.

Four of the Seagate disks were operating under Windows server in Raid10 and there the disks did not spin back up.
Also I made the tests with no shares, no plugin just a fresh install no changes whatsoever. The problem still persists now with all the plugins on and in operation.

I also tried the SMART option -n standby which apparently did not change anything, although according to the documentation here this should address exactly this problem.

Thus I was wondering if there are others with the same problem or maybe a solution or just something I may have not tried yet.

Thanks very much for your help and hints.