How to Let Drives Spin Down

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
I created a new spincheck.sh file, this time spincheck2.sh. I ran ls -l before I did anything and this is what I got. So if I'm not mistaken, it is already executable, without having to run chmod +x spincheck2.sh The new file still does not execute. Are there dependencies that need to be in the same directory for it to execute properly? I can't help but think, normal people don't have the problems I do....
Code:
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% ls -l
total 27
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 Behemoth  wheel  3 Feb  4 18:56 ./
drwxrwxr-x+ 6 root  wheel  7 Feb  4 18:30 ../
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 Behemoth  wheel  2411 Feb  4 18:44 spincheck2.sh*
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% sudo ./spincheck2.sh
Password:
sudo: unable to execute ./spincheck2.sh: No such file or directory
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% su
Password:
[Behemoth@freenas] /mnt/MainVolume/BehemothTest# ls -l
total 27
[Behemoth@freenas] /mnt/MainVolume/BehemothTest# ./spincheck2.sh
./spincheck2.sh: Command not found.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
I'm a bit befuddled why the shell is unable to find the script when it is right there.

The letters in front are permissions. You'll need to start doing a bit of independent research. Briefly, the first is d if directory, otherwise -.

There are 9 more:
3 for user, 3 for group, then 3 for everyone else.
Each group of three is r for read, w for write, and x for execute.

So for spincheck.sh,
owner and group both have read, write, and execute permission.
everyone else has read and execute permission.
I will start looking. Thanks again for your help.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
OMG,

Permission to speak freely? What the fsck's the difference between 'Standby' and Spindown? Specifically in the GUI behavior?

Old thread from 2012:
'View Disks has entries for both "HDD Standby" and "Advanced Power Management." I don't understand if these are configured together, are complimentary or antagonistic in their use, are there any other settings i must configure/turn on. I want the drives to spin down after not being used but with the new fn8.0.4 I am not sure if they are doing that by using the HDD Standby. Documentation and forums are scant in discussion AFAIK.'

ZFS is designed to use commodity hardware and obviously there is huge demand for HDD spindown. If someone is backing up their precious files every few days and doing a scrub once a month on 8 drives, they don't need to hear the disk drive heads seeking continuously in their office. Home NAS HDDs alone easily use 50-100$/year in electricity at 10cents/KwH. (for 4 to 8 drives).

This is a frequent topic in the forums, and I know FreeNAS is Free.. as in beer, but I'm a noob and even I can see this gives OSS, FreeBSD and IX a bad image.
Why document a feature, give the toggle box, or drop down option, then lead us all down a rat hole of troubleshooting.
(BTW, is there a section in release notes, or anywhere, that explains 'Known issues"?)
{{Seems to me there are LOTS of known issues that span many releases over YEARS!}}

Now to stop ranting and provide what little technical debugging info can be expected of my humble self...

Is it simply that the suggested swap partitions, of 2GB per drive, are not letting my pool 'sleep'?
What are they used for anyways?? I have 48GB of ram and only 12TB of usable storage?
This doesn't seem like a 'sane default'.

More likely it seems like the collectd process won't STFU.

I KNOW these can be complex issues, but seriously? No explanations forthcoming?

So you save 50-100$ of electricity but you'll pay 100$+ for each drive you need to replace earlier because you spin them up/down, let alone the inconvenience to replace them...

There's many issues and bugs but this isn't one. FreeNAS is made for a server and is expected to run 24/7 (especially for things like SMART tests and scrubs).

If you don't even know what swap is used for then don't criticize it... Swap is used if the system run out of RAM to avoid a panic, it shouldn't be used during normal usage.

Last edited:

Glorious1

Guru
Code:
total 27
The + after the permissions indicates that the files have ACLs, special "access control list" permissions. I assume this is done by windows. I don't use windows with freenas so am not familiar with the quirks involved. Grasping at straws, I wonder if that is making the file invisible as a command to FreeNAS.

You can see what the ACLs are for a file with getfacl spincheck2.sh
You can remove them with setfacl -b spincheck2.sh or setfacl -k spincheck2.sh
(-b and -k remove different kinds, I would try them both)

After removing the ACLs, try to run it again.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The + after the permissions indicates that the files have ACLs, special "access control list" permissions. I assume this is done by windows. I don't use windows with freenas so am not familiar with the quirks involved. Grasping at straws, I wonder if that is making the file invisible as a command to FreeNAS.

You can see what the ACLs are for a file with getfacl spincheck2.sh
You can remove them with setfacl -b spincheck2.sh or setfacl -k spincheck2.sh
(-b and -k remove different kinds, I would try them both)

After removing the ACLs, try to run it again.
This does indicate that "windows" permission type is set on the user's home directory. I probably wouldn't do this unless I had a very specific reason to do so. This is because sometimes you want to be able to chmod a file in a user's home directory.

I typically make a "homes" dataset with unix permissions type and put all of my users home directories there. It helps avoid permissions problems.

Glorious1

Guru
This does indicate that "windows" permission type is set on the user's home directory. I probably wouldn't do this unless I had a very specific reason to do so. This is because sometimes you want to be able to chmod a file in a user's home directory.

I typically make a "homes" dataset with unix permissions type and put all of my users home directories there. It helps avoid permissions problems.
Ok, thanks for chipping in. I'm clueless about windows. So if you do as you describe, then you can't access the directory from windows? Sounds like a big inconvenience either way.

Linkman

Patron
Double check the contents of your spincheck script, that second error (when executing after su) looks like what you'd get if one of the commands within the script couldn't be found. You could try running with "set -x" (I believe that's POSIX, so should work...) to see the commands executed.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Ok, thanks for chipping in. I'm clueless about windows. So if you do as you describe, then you can't access the directory from windows? Sounds like a big inconvenience either way.
What I'd probably do is create a separate CIFS share for the dataset containing home directories, check the box "use as home share", then disable the "zfsacl" vfs object by setting the auxiliary parameter "vfs objects = zfs_space streams_xattr".

This will prevent samba from writing ACLs on data in the Homes share. Note that you can't name the share [Homes] as this is a special reserved name in Samba. Once this is done, samba will dynamically create a share for each authenticated user exporting that user's home directory as \\<server>\<username> I haven't messed with Homes shares much in FreeNAS, but I'm assuming a procedure like this will work fine.

Glorious1

Guru
Double check the contents of your spincheck script, that second error (when executing after su) looks like what you'd get if one of the commands within the script couldn't be found. You could try running with "set -x" (I believe that's POSIX, so should work...) to see the commands executed.
If I put a bogus command in the script ("dinkadonk"), here's what I get, first with sudo:
Code:
[jim@Tabernacle ~]$ sudo ./spincheck.sh
Password:
./spincheck.sh: line 19: dinkadonk: command not found
How many minutes do you want between spin checks?

Friday, Feb 05
          da0      da1      da2      da3      pass4    pass5    pass6
08:51:25  Spin 30  Spin 31  Spin 32  Spin 32  Spin 25  Spin 27  Spin 25

and with su:
Code:
[jim@Tabernacle ~]$ su
Password:
[jim@Tabernacle] /mnt/Ark/Jim# ./spincheck.sh
./spincheck.sh: line 19: dinkadonk: command not found
How many minutes do you want between spin checks?

Friday, Feb 05
          da0      da1      da2      da3      pass4    pass5    pass6
08:55:14  Spin 30  Spin 30  Spin 32  Spin 32  Spin 26  Spin 27  Spin 26

So the shell reports the bad command and keeps right on going. I think he's got something else going on.

Linkman

Patron
It was a thought. :) Thanks for checking, I wasn't in a position to do so prior to posting.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
Running getfacl spincheck2.sh returns:
Code:
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% getfacl spincheck2.sh
# file: spincheck2.sh
# owner: Behemoth
# group: wheel
  owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:------:allow
  group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:------:allow
  everyone@:r-x---a-R-c---:------:allow

setfacl -k spincheck2.sh Returns:
Code:
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% setfacl -k spincheck2.sh
setfacl: spincheck2.sh: there are no default entries in NFSv4 ACLs; cannot remove

setfacl -b spincheck2.sh Doesn't return anything, just anther promp.

After running those commands ls -l now returns:
Code:
total 36
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 Behemoth  wheel  4 Feb  4 20:05 ./
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 Behemoth  wheel  2410 Feb  4 20:18 spincheck.sh*
-rwxrwxr-x  1 Behemoth  wheel  2411 Feb  4 18:44 spincheck2.sh*

So those commands do take away the ACLs

Then I tried to execute spincheck and spincheck2 as they are both on my share.
Code:
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% sudo ./spincheck.sh
Password:
sudo: unable to execute ./spincheck.sh: No such file or directory
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% sudo ./spincheck2.sh
sudo: unable to execute ./spincheck2.sh: No such file or directory
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% su
Password:
[Behemoth@freenas] /mnt/MainVolume/BehemothTest# ./spincheck.sh
./spincheck.sh: Command not found.
[Behemoth@freenas] /mnt/MainVolume/BehemothTest# ./spincheck2.sh
./spincheck2.sh: Command not found.

Not sure about the set -x thing. this is what I ran, but I have no idea if that was how I should have done it.
Code:
[Behemoth@freenas] /mnt/MainVolume/BehemothTest# set -x ./spincheck.sh
set: Variable name must begin with a letter.

I tried creating a separate CIFS share for a new dataset (in this case datasettest) containing home directories, checking the box "use as home share", then disabled the "zfsacl" vfs object by setting the auxiliary parameter "vfs objects = zfs_space streams_xattr". I copied over my script, then tried to execute.
Code:
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% sudo ./spincheck.sh
Password:
sudo: unable to execute ./spincheck.sh: No such file or directory
[Behemoth@freenas] ~% su
Password:
[Behemoth@freenas] /mnt/MainVolume/datasettest# ./spincheck.sh
./spincheck.sh: Command not found.
[Behemoth@freenas] /mnt/MainVolume/datasettest# ls -l
total 37
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root  wheel  5 Feb  5 20:26 ./
drwxrwxr-x+ 7 root  wheel  8 Feb  5 20:15 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Feb  5 20:15 .windows
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 Behemoth  wheel  2411 Feb  4 13:02 spincheck.sh*
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 Behemoth  wheel  2411 Feb  4 13:02 spincheck2 (2).sh*

When I ran ls -l the + is showing up again, so I'm not certain I applied all the correct settings in my share. I'm about to give up on this whole thing. FreeNAS is obviously much smarter than I. I'm going to find another script and see if it will execute. Another thing I noticed the other day when I was messing with this, is with the "use as home share" box checked, when I browsed the network there appeared to be an additional share call <username>-Homes. I didn't mess with that, and only worked with the share I had actually created. I will have to wait till I get home before I mess with that again, as my network isn't browse-able over VPN.

Glorious1

Guru
Running getfacl spincheck2.sh returns:
setfacl -b spincheck2.sh Doesn't return anything, just anther promp.

After running those commands ls -l now returns:
Code:
total 36
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 Behemoth  wheel  4 Feb  4 20:05 ./
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 Behemoth  wheel  2410 Feb  4 20:18 spincheck.sh*
-rwxrwxr-x  1 Behemoth  wheel  2411 Feb  4 18:44 spincheck2.sh*

So those commands do take away the ACLs
Yes, the setfacl -b did it. When a command doesn't give you any feedback, that usually means it executed without error.

But apparently that wasn't the problem. Frankly I am stumped, and hopefully one of the experts here, ideally one that uses windows, will jump in and figure this out.

I guess if I were going to troubleshoot further, I would set up a dataset with unix permissions, no windows share, and see if I can execute a/the script in there. That would help determine if it is something the windows share is doing.

Another thing I would try is putting the script somewhere that the system already looks for commands. If you type
echo $PATH
you get a list of them separated by colons. /usr/local/sbin would be an appropriate one. You can put it there by using the copy command, cp <source path and file> <destination path and file> , e.g.
cp /mnt/MainVolume/BehemothTest/spincheck.sh /usr/local/sbin/spincheck.sh
There are shorter versions depending on your current directory, but that would work anywhere. Then you can just type spincheck.sh without the ./

toadman

Guru
I guess if I were going to troubleshoot further, I would set up a dataset with unix permissions, no windows share, and see if I can execute a/the script in there. That would help determine if it is something the windows share is doing.

Yes, this would have been the first thing I tried.

Also, after the various "setfacl" commands I didn't see another "getfacl" run. The spincheck.sh file appears to still have ACLs set from the "ls" command. Can the OP verify with another getfacl?

Last edited:

Montel Bahn

Dabbler
Might be simpler to type this as root, after switching to BASH, for like-minded green troubleshooters with only ada disk devices:

for d in /dev/ada?;do camcontrol cmd /dev/ada$d -a "E5 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00" -r -;done

(Less patient freaks just put a fret finger on fan blade, to stop it, and string finger on disk top, haha)

Back On topic !!...
After testing many permutations of settings(that I thought might be relevant) on 2 separate systems I have minor conclusions to report.
If any users want to test further, the (sometimes?) flaky behavior of HDD Standby setting, ##remember this isn't a feature that the professional will use!
Some clues and observations:

9.2.0 with a Z1 of:
============================================================
3x Seagate 7200 (320GB) <ST332062OASAS 3...>
2x WD Caviar (320GB) <WDC WD3200KS 00PFB0 21.00M21>

The 3 Seagates spindown per HDD Standby setting, 1 WD HDD spinsdown after more time has elapsed(something like 7-10 minutes) and 1 WD never spinsdown.
FWIW: My guess is that a Python script and/or collectd has i/o on that single disk???; but this flies in the face of my understanding of how ZFS works, and is a complete mystery to me. So maybe it is swap. I turned it off by putting 0 in that Advanced field, but did not help spindown.

All 5 [of MY ] drives report APM feature is: Unavailable with, ex: smartctl -x /dev/ada1|grep -i APM
and thus Advanced Power Management setting, as expected, has no effect on spindown times, for my 5 drives.

I have no idea why the GUI alludes this is settable on disks for which it clearly isn't. This creates a lot of Uncertainty and Doubt!
The manual is also silent/misleading in this regard.

To wit, the next row in the settings table, per manual, for Acoustic Level, ... 'can be modified for disks that understand AAM'. Yet, 3 of my drives report AAM setting: Unavailable with, for ex: smartctl -x /dev/ada0|grep -i aam
Yet the setting can be modified in the GUI! so the manual and/or the GUI code is wrong here also.

(As an aside, AAM, unlike spindown of drives, I believe is a FEATURE that most, even 24/7, max performance servers zealots could benefit from?
Like, say even if you don't have SSDs for some reason, but you want good Random I/O performance, AAM can have minimal performance impact.
However, the noise don't lie, your drives will get 'less beat up', thus helping the primary objective of FreeNAS and ZFS...not mangling your bits.
From what I read AAM seems won't be a feature going forward because of patent issues, and hasn't been used, per se, since like 2011.)

2 of my drives support AAM, or 'Acoustic Level' as FreeNAS calls it, and AAM had no effect on all HDD spindown behavior, per my tests.

9.3 (Release p28 something or other from past couple of weeks) with striped mirrors ....
4x HGST 6TB Deskstar NAS, OS installed to separate SSD

This fresh install reacted strangely with regard to spindown (now working and I can't reproduce the erroneous behavior previously experienced).
I suspect that a setting didn't 'stick' during my testing. Perhaps some random-ish reboot(that I did) was required or the Scripts were slow to make these settings, and thus 'threw me off'.

Perhaps the order of the setting changes mattered, as opposed to just the combination of settings, per the GUI. Perhaps a setting wasn't completely reversible....
(i.e. Moving System Datasets, for the first time, left something flipped, that wasn't reversible?). Bottom line, I have no revelation. I had also assumed that all logs, settings, and smarttest results, and freaking monitoring data would be stored on the boot SSD drive by default, along with Boot Environments.

Anyways, I suspected 'System Dataset' settings weren't 'sticking' or getting applied properly on my system, but I figured out it's simple to see the dot directies with df -h
I thought I'd seen some . directories but I can't find any now...

TLDR:
In my tests APM and AAM don't affect spindown.

In my 9.2 Z1 pool, all but 1 of my disks would spindown, even though I have 2 the same model, same fiwmware, settings, etc. I HAVE NO IDEA how this is even possible with the partitions the same. It is all on the same volume so how can there be I/O on the 1 disk?

If you want to test spindown on a disk, the manual/GUI in 9.3 is misleading. First run :
smartctl -x /dev/ada0|grep -i 'apm\|aam'

on your disk, to see if these 'proprietary/not always available' settings are even a factor, then proceed to troubleshoot/test without Fear, and without sucking on these "phantom UDders" like this noob did.

edit: Even easier, I just discovered:
ataidle /dev/ada0

Then, I would start by moving System Dataset off of the main pool(aka zpool aka Volume) which has the disks you are testing.
(Don't feel silly, for I TOO had assumed the 'System Dataset' would be on the SSD drive I first installed FreeNAS on and I also
find settings in section 5.6 misleading/confusing i.e. Syslog; to tick or not to tick? That is the question!) One of the MANY bug reports that deal with HDD spindown seemed to ask why the GUI/manual doesn't explain that setting HDD spindown time is pointless in the default state, with the logs and such on your main pool, but some head-honcho wants it that way for some reason.

Tick those 2 boxes under it; Syslog and Reporting Database, cause yeah, same as above paragraph, from what I gather. Maybe reboot and cross your fingers.
That worked for me. Not sure why it had to be SOOOO... painful to figure out.

edit: Oh wait.. its NOT working again. OMG.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
I want to thank everyone for all their time, effort and suggestions, but I am giving up on this and running any scripts. I'm marking it in my mind as impossible. I did try the most recent suggestions, which still didn't work. With the NFS/UNIX dtaset/share I can't mount it, even with NFS turned on in windows 7. I tried copying to /usr/local/sbin and I think it did copy, but I either get permission denied or or not found when trying to execute. Also, the script posted in the first post, I remember it being different than it currently is. Did someone change it or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Montel Bahn

Dabbler
I want to thank everyone for all their time, effort and suggestions, but I am giving up on this and running any scripts. I'm marking it in my mind as impossible

Nooooooooooooooo,
Put it down for a bit, then come back in 2-4 days; don't give up on running a script. I need to review the thread but I'll try to help you since I be noobish too, and could learn from working through your issues.

And feel free to hijack this thread if you continue to get help. From what I've seen they can be strict with off-topic hijacks, but you are sympatico with the philosophy of this thread and I think it would be wrong to push you out or whatever.

Montel Bahn

Dabbler
More of a general computing issue. You're putting the hardware in a state none of the software is set up to deal with; neither ZFS nor FreeBSD are aware that you've spun down the disks, and there's no code to deal with that and spin up the disks.

WHAT????
does that even mean???
(I must preface with all due respect, not just 'cause of the amount/quantity of your posts #### do you work/contract for IX btw?
but mostly 'cause I and I'm sure many others have read tons of helpful, valuable information from your posts). But...
the GUI has, for years, had a setting for Spindown time, ipso facto, the software is/should be aware of it's state.

Correct this noob if he's wrong, but i'm pretty sure both Python, and Shells have the succinct ability to check if a drive is spundown and to wake it. ( Lord knows I think Ix scripts have the power to be waking the drives). And even this noob is almost positive that it would be almost trivial to offer a staggered spin-up option in the GUI. (to the inexperienced, don't be confused with BIOS setting for Delayed/Staggered Spinup, that has nothing to do with FreeNAS, which isn't even loaded at that time obviously).

PS. I first got all excited about ZFS when I saw some stupid demo with people pulled USB!!!! keys out physically without warning the computer/ZFS what was going on....So even if the scripts were still very unpolished (i.e. crappy) no data would be lost. There might be some noobish assumptions here, but this is the cool-aid i'm drinking.

Last edited:

Glorious1

Guru
Also, the script posted in the first post, I remember it being different than it currently is. Did someone change it or is my mind playing tricks on me?
Yes, I updated it. But any version will work. Sorry for adding to the confusion. ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
WHAT????
does that even mean???

Pretty much just what it says.

(I must preface with all due respect, not just 'cause of the amount/quantity of your posts #### do you work/contract for IX btw?

No. But they did send me the nice Beastie plushie I'm strangling.

but mostly 'cause I and I'm sure many others have read tons of helpful, valuable information from your posts). But...
the GUI has, for years, had a setting for Spindown time, ipso facto, the software is/should be aware of it's state.

The setting in the GUI configures a number within the hard drive that might possibly suggest to the hard drive whether or not it should spin down after a certain amount of inactivity. A decision made by the hard drive. The drive does not communicate spindowns back to the host system in a meaningful manner. The software is unaware.

So, let me say this gently, your understanding of what that number in the GUI is, is incorrect.

Correct this noob if he's wrong, but i'm pretty sure both Python, and Shells have the succinct ability to check if a drive is spundown and to wake it.

Possibly. (And I damn well mean *POSSIBLY*, I'll concede that with a hell of a lot of work you might be able to get 80-90% success there).

But you cannot seriously believe that all the data going back and forth to your NAS is being processed by shell scripts (Python included). NFS and iSCSI are handled within the kernel itself. No userland application sees that data. AFP and CIFS are handled by daemons written in C by outside projects (Netatalk, Samba). There aren't hooks in there to cause FreeNAS to be suddenly aware of when data is about to be written.

Further, ZFS itself would have to be responsible for such functionality, because the only subsystem on the platform that is aware of which disks are going to be involved in any particular transaction. If you've spun down an array of a thousand disks, you don't want all thousand disks spun up in order to read a 1K text file! ZFS lacks this functionality.

FreeNAS is largely just a framework around existing UNIX features and services that helps users administer and monitor those services. FreeNAS doesn't actually provide file services itself. Again, trying to put this gently, your understanding of what FreeNAS itself is would seem to be incorrect.

PS. I first got all excited about ZFS when I saw some stupid demo with people pulled USB!!!! keys out physically without warning the computer/ZFS what was going on....So even if the scripts were still very unpolished (i.e. crappy) no data would be lost. There might be some noobish assumptions here, but this is the cool-aid i'm drinking.

There are lots of stupid ZFS tricks one could do (and probably shouldn't). I know a guy who took something like a hundred USB thumb drives and made a ZFS pool out of them, because he got them for free as trade show leftovers. While cool, I wouldn't want to store my data on it.

Montel Bahn

Dabbler
So the GUI/scripts wants to know what spindown setting to tell the drive, but it's going to access the drive in secret regardless, thus keeping it spinning??????

No matter how long-winded or brief you choose to be, DON'T BE GENTLE! I only ask for accuracy and precision.

To your tangential points about NFS, iSCSI.... obviously I'm testing with all my services turned off, I'm noobish but what's with the red herrings of confusion?

(I'll digress slightly, because it seems important.....Why does sshd run (per top) even though I have it turned off in 'Services'?)
(Less important, but my terminal is still piping, even though I have ssh service turned off)
(Also On my 9.2 system SSH is reponding even though service is diabled.)

The drive does not communicate spindowns back to the host system in a meaningful manner. The software is unaware.
What I CLEARLY wrote is any plain ol' script (OBVIOUSLY) can know/inquire as to the state of the disk. Again, any constructive advice/insight is appreciated!
Thus FreeNAS .py files shouldn't wake the drives for ANY reason, per the current docs, let alone in such a long-standing troublesome manner (see multitude bug reports and forum postings)

I'm straining my noobish mind here but if the issue is that drives behind HBA cards sometimes don't reveal/or allow spindown/sleep state or whatever, that is also manageable in the GUI code. At the very least it should be disclosed rather than obfuscated.

Re: FreeNAS is a framework... (is that the same as nested wrappers?) where could I find docs regarding this? I have predisposed bias in favor of bsd and zfs, but so far FreeNAS is harshing my buzz.