Disk temperature while in standby mode

ragametal

Contributor
So, i'm testing some settings to put my HDDs into standby mode to keep their temps down while not in use (these disks will only be activate once a day for remote replication tasks).

In any event, i was able to get the disks to spin down but i lost the ability to monitor their temperatures. When i go to Reporting->Disks TrueNAS advises that the temperature of the disks are not available and in order to enable it i should put the disks either in "HDD Standby - Always on" or to check the option "Force HDD Standby".

I did the second and the temperature of the disks are still not available. Do anybody knows how to get the disks to spin down and also report their temperatures? I'm using a pair of WD Red Pro WD161KFGX.

Also, i was a bit hesitant about using the "Force HDD Standby" option as there is very little documentation of it. According to this youtube video Spinning Down Disks | Managing TrueNAS Core , and i quote, this is "normally to force it into standby mode if its running software checks like a scrub or doing a snapshot". The implication here is that those extremely important tasks could be interrupted by the "Force HDD Standby" feature.

Do anybody know if this is true? Because if that is the case i cannot imagine why would anybody want such feature.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If your disk is spun down, it's not generating heat, so the temperature isn't relevant anyway.

ragametal

Contributor
If your disk is spun down, it's not generating heat, so the temperature isn't relevant anyway.
I agree with you 100% but there are instances where it is helpful to know the temperature of the disks even when they are in Standby. In my particular case i constantly monitor the disks to identify how much temperature change they experience when they go from standby state to active state and back to standby.

I mean, if this cannot be done then that is fine, i will just accept it as a limitation of TrueNAS. I was just a bit surprised about it since the temperature of the drives can be obtained by smartctl -A /dev/ada0 even when the disks are in standby mode.

How about "Force HDD Standby"? do you know how it works or if i definitely should not use it?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't claim to know a lot about spinning down disks as I don't do it myself.

I know that I've seen many a thread about how people don't get to the magical land of spun-down disks despite all the native settings they seem to set, so I have noticed that many folks turn to scripts like this one:

I personally log my disk temps to influxdb all the time, but I do that via a fan control script I'm running, so I'm not sure I can help you a lot there other than to link my perl code if you want it. For the disks where I don't use their temperatures to control the fans (like SSDs), I separately run a cron job every 5 minutes to catch those in the DB for the sake of completeness of the graphs I use, so maybe that could somehow get adapted if you wanted to use it.

ragametal

Contributor
I don't claim to know a lot about spinning down disks as I don't do it myself.

I know that I've seen many a thread about how people don't get to the magical land of spun-down disks despite all the native settings they seem to set, so I have noticed that many folks turn to scripts like this one:

I personally log my disk temps to influxdb all the time, but I do that via a fan control script I'm running, so I'm not sure I can help you a lot there other than to link my perl code if you want it. For the disks where I don't use their temperatures to control the fans (like SSDs), I separately run a cron job every 5 minutes to catch those in the DB for the sake of completeness of the graphs I use, so maybe that could somehow get adapted if you wanted to use it.
I also log my disk temps to InfluxDB but i use the integral reporting feature in TrueNAS. Your script sounds like a good workaround until i realized that these are the only drives on this system (besides the boot drive), this means that the script that will run every 5 minutes will reside on these disks.

Therefore, the cron tasks calling this script will prevent the disks from spinning down.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You can store a script in root's home directory which is on the boot pool.

ragametal

Contributor
You can store a script in root's home directory which is on the boot pool.
I did not think about that. Your script might work in my case. Where can in download it?

sretalla