Continuing confusion: freenas hdd standby and advanced power management

Status
Not open for further replies.

esamett

Patron
View Disks has entries for both "HDD Standby" and "Advanced Power Management." I don't understand if these are configured together, are complimentary or antagonistic in their use, are there any other settings i must configure/turn on. I want the drives to spin down after not being used but with the new fn8.0.4 I am not sure if they are doing that by using the HDD Standby. Documentation and forums are scant in discussion AFAIK.

Thanks

morty

Cadet
Bump, I just reached this from Google and would like to know the answer as well. I can't find it anywhere. If I choose a HDD standby time, do I also need to configure power management?

Free as in Nas

Dabbler
I would also like to have a definitive answer to this.

However, I assume that APM uses the standby values if it says "with standby" and conversely the "without standby" APM settings ignore it.

Visseroth

Guru
Bump again, I also reach this post from google and have the same questions.

Stephens

Patron
You know, assuming you guys have a UPS (you do have one, right) that shows you how much power is being pulled by your NAS, you can test some of this stuff yourself. Definitive answers? Nobody can provide them because we're not in control of how all hard drives act with these options. There's no standard they have to live by. More like, "This is what this is, and the drive may support it, and even if it does, it may do so in a proprietary way." In the case of my Samsung HD204UI's under 8.0.4, all I needed was to set standby time and I could see from my UPS that power usage dropped significantly, so I knew it worked. At least until I enabled SMART monitoring. I did not enable any other options. If you don't have a UPS that shows you power pull, you can also use a kill-o-watt. Or, I guess you can just listen.

Visseroth

Guru
I do have a UPS. I have a rack mountable 2U 2200 tripplite which btw I can't seem to get nut to talk to through the serial port. But anyhow, what are the other power managements for, what do they do? I have set them before and they caused my hard drives to want to park the heads every 3 seconds which was causing network interruptions and since I have disabled Advanced Power Management and Acoustic Level.

Stephens

Patron
Sorry, but I gave the best answer I could the first time. Maybe someone else can help. If you want to save power, it seems you know what you need to do (standby) and you're just having an academic discussion now about the other options. I'd suggest Googling the options and doing some reading if you don't get any responses here.

Status
Not open for further replies.