Setting for drives.

NASr710

Explorer
After reading through multiple threads, still confused about proper setting for my drivers. I have the set up for:

HD STANDBY: Always On
ADVANCED POWER MANAGEMENT: Disabled

What I want is the disks to spin continuously, which seems to be the recommended thing as opposed to them spinning up and down all the time.

What I am really confused about is what 'Disabled' means. I would assume that FreeNAS will adjust speed according to needs and will ignore noise or power savings and work a quickly as needed. It seems like the other settings will prevent management of RPM speed of disks?

NASr710

Explorer
Anyone?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
"APM Disabled" is a drive-by-drive behavior. Most of them should disable their spin-down timer, or set it to such a long time (eg: 7 hours) that it's effectively off.

Check the SMART values on your drive, value 193 should be the Load Cycle Count - once you've set the APM to DISABLED, verify that this counter isn't increasing (or is going up at most a handful of times each day)

NASr710

Explorer
I am running the WD Red drives. I will need to look at their specs. Thanks for the tip. I will try to check SMART settings.

NASr710

Explorer
My Load cycle count was 29355 an hour ago, and it does not seem to have changed. That seems really high. I have been turning on the server when I need it. it was set to 30 min spin down. I am looking to keep it on all the time now. The r710 does not consume that much power, about 126W.