Does TrueNAS supports any kind of power management/power savings?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS writes to the system dataset pool every couple of seconds. That's a feature and not changeable. Although you can put the system dataset on a pool created from SSDs, of course.

MonkY

Dabbler
TrueNAS writes to the system dataset pool every couple of seconds. That's a feature and not changeable. Although you can put the system dataset on a pool created from SSDs, of course.
OK, thanks a lot Patrick. That's something really useful. I will set the system dataset on my SSD pool, reboot and try again... I have also moved the iocage on that SSD pool. I will test if the SAS drives will now sleep and report back.

alecz

Dabbler
Thank you. I am really sorry now I haven't tried openmediavault first. But as it doesn't support zfs, it would be almost impossible for me to migrate to it...
Actually openmediavault has decent support for ZFS. You can even dual-boot and use the same pools as created by TrueNAS (unless the TrueNAS created pools with a version unsupported by openmediavault). In addition, openmediavault also supports Linux MDRaid very well FWIW.

Did you get the SAS drives to spin down eventually?