Power Management Improvements in 9.x ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nello

Patron
I'm interested in reducing the power usage for my FreeNAS box.

I presume that the main power usage is related to the disks so I'm looking for help with these parameters (Storage > Volumes > View Disks):
  • HDD Standby
  • Advanced Power Management
Apparently using these settings wasn't entirely obvious in 8.x:

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/hdd-standby-times-not-as-expected.10106/

Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable with the CLI changes outlined here:

http://blog.raphaelabreu.com/2013/03/struggling-with-freenas-power-consumption-optmization/

Can anyone point me to GUI settings that I should review to reduce power consumption?

Thank you for your help.

- nello

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, the settings WERE obvious with 8.x. The problem is people don't know what the heck these settings mean, how they work(or how they might not work for you) and just want to see the part that says "to save watts do this". It's not that simple and you actually DO have to know what this stuff does to make it work for you(if possible).

All of the GUI settings are discussed in the manual though, and have been for more than 2 years now. There's lots of threads on power savings since every few days someone starts another thread on the topic. I'd recommend you read around the forum and look at the previous threads.

russnas

Contributor
cyberjock is correct, the setting is not the same for all drives, i dont get any difference other than the drive spinning up and down and it was better not to use that feature, my seagates dont support APM as they have their own management, same might be for wd green and wdidle (will see when mine is delivered), the best way is to buy a efficient hardware, cpu, drives, motherboard but its not economical right now.

with your signature, can you lock your cpu cores?, only use two cores at 2ghz max,you might see a difference with a kilo watt, MSI has a good rep with motherboards using less power that other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.