SOLVED Disk apparently not spinning down

oxyde

Contributor
Hi all!
Need some help, for sure i miss-config something (hardware detail in signature).
I have installed this spindown timer script, the expected result for me is to let the disk in my StoragePool spindown when not used (and they will be like this 95% of time).

I followed the 2 initial step (configured disk standby settings and System dataset placement as mentioned), then i add a post init script as below
/mnt/StoragePool/Script/SpinDownTimer/spindown_timer.sh -t 3600 -p 600 -m -i ada1 -i ada2
but, after like 1 and half our i try this command on shell (found on very old thread):
camcontrol cmd ada$ -a "E5 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00" -r -
and the disk result spinning (the 10° position is FF).
Same result using this command:
camcontrol epc ada$ -c status -P
the result is idle(0xff).

The script is placed in the StoragePool, special permission assigned.

What i'm doing wrong? Thanks in advice

Say Heading

Dabbler
I followed the 2 initial step (configured disk standby settings and System dataset placement as mentioned),
Did you also make the script executable (that chmod +x thing)?
then i add a post init script as below

And my guess is that you are missing a "." in front of your path towards the script
./mnt/StoragePool/Script/SpinDownTimer/spindown_timer.sh -t 3600 -p 600 -m -i ada1 -i ada2

oxyde

Contributor
Tahnks for the tip!
Did you also make the script executable (that chmod +x thing)?
Yes, done!
And my guess is that you are missing a "." in front of your path towards the script
./mnt/StoragePool/Script/SpinDownTimer/spindown_timer.sh -t 3600 -p 600 -m -i ada1 -i ada2
mmm... i try to launch that code via shell adding the dot but i get error *no such file or directory*, not sure to have done it properly (sorry, not so familiar with shell)

Say Heading

Dabbler

oxyde

Contributor
Maybe there is something in it that points into the right direction.
don't seems the dot is the problem :(
Forget to say: launching the command via shell, he get stuck like this:

c46619d25edb4e52045a5bcba33d8e5c.png

084e031c3ef8e1c27077a3bd2bdddf87.png

nothing happen

Say Heading

Dabbler
...hm, so at least the script/command seems to be running. When you haven't defined any other tasks that might access the drives then I'm out of ideas - and knowledge...

oxyde

Contributor
...hm, so at least the script/command seems to be running. When you haven't defined any other tasks that might access the drives then I'm out of ideas - and knowledge...
I think have made 1 single but fatal error, due to a momentary layout change (im wating component to restore a SSD pool for jail/script)... the script itself is in the same Pool of drives i want to spin-down...
I will retry soon the new SSD arrive.
Thanks a lot for the tips!

Edit: work as intended putting the script on another pool... really a mistake on my part!

Last edited: