CrashPlan updated to 4.3.0, now will not connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yup, that's why I said:
I guess I misunderstood--I think I read "version 4.3.x+ client" or something similar, but that isn't what you said. But you told Andrew, who's running 4.4.1 client and 4.3.3 server, that he didn't need to upgrade.

Nick2253

Wizard
I guess I misunderstood--I think I read "version 4.3.x+ client" or something similar, but that isn't what you said. But you told Andrew, who's running 4.4.1 client and 4.3.3 server, that he didn't need to upgrade.

He asked if how to upgrade his server, and I told him he doesn't need to upgrade his server. That's all I'm saying as far as the upgrade is concerned. But like I said in the same post, he needs to use the appropriate client to connect to his server.

Xelas

Explorer
Have you changed the ui.properties file on the client computer?

Uncomment the IP address line, and make sure it points to the jail IP.

I've never had to edit ui.properties - mine is all default, all commented out. Works just fine with just updating .ui_info. I don't think it's necessary, but you can try commenting the lines out on a known working config just to confirm.

Nick2253

Wizard
I've never had to edit ui.properties - mine is all default, all commented out. Works just fine with just updating .ui_info. I don't think it's necessary, but you can try commenting the lines out on a known working config just to confirm.

I think you're right.

For versions 4.3 and below, it uses the ui.properties file for the remote address, and the .ui_info file for the key. For versions 4.4 and up, the .ui_info file for both.

Andrew076

Patron
If the only thing you did was "pkg install pkg", all you did was update pkg. If you want to install bash, you need to do "pkg install bash".
I think I did instiall it correctly.

Just to be sure I did what you suggested above and got this result:

Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # pkg install bash
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent version of packages are already installed
root@crashplan_1:/ # 

Andrew076

Patron
No, the lack of the shebang isn't causing a problem. How do you think you installed bash? What's the output of 'which bash'? What's the output of 'ls -l /bin/bash'?

Okay... I did the ls -l /bin/bash and got this:

Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # ls -l /bin/bash
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 19 Oct 16 20:46 /bin/bash -> /usr/local/bin/bash
root@crashplan_1:/ #

Last edited:

Andrew076

Patron
I don't know but somewhere along the line it updated... not even sure what I did local side updated and now I can connect using the GUI. Thanks for all the help... I have 1.5 TB of pictures and i like the reassurance...

Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # cat /var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log | grep CPVER    
[10.16.15 20:57:30.182 INFO main com.backup42.service.CPService] CPVE
RSION = 4.4.1 - 143572

gaszto

Dabbler
Restart the service and check your log (/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/log/service.log.0) to see if there are any other issues. Shortly after the service starts there should be some INFO entries saying it has detected an update and it is downloading the files/attempting to patch. This all happens on service start, so a restart is all that should be needed to "force" the update. If it isn't happening something is going wrong.

I was having similar issues and the logs indicated it still couldn't find bash - I had forgot to create the link.

Sorry for the late answer. I've found something.

[root@crashplan_1 /]# cat /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/log/service.log.0 | grep upgrade
[10.18.15 19:01:24.741 INFO main com.backup42.service.CPService ] Completing deferred config upgrade.
<upgradeVersion nil="true"/>
<upgradePath>upgrade</upgradePath>
<upgradeDelay>15000</upgradeDelay>
[10.18.15 19:01:28.421 INFO main om.backup42.service.upgrade.PatchManager] SKIP applying client upgrades, server didn't give us patches
[10.18.15 19:02:08.778 INFO main om.backup42.service.upgrade.PatchManager] SKIP applying client upgrades, server didn't give us patches
[10.18.15 19:19:26.349 INFO main om.backup42.service.upgrade.PatchManager] SKIP applying client upgrades, server didn't give us patches
[10.18.15 19:25:33.302 INFO main om.backup42.service.upgrade.PatchManager] SKIP applying client upgrades, server didn't give us patches
[10.18.15 19:30:44.990 INFO main om.backup42.service.upgrade.PatchManager] SKIP applying client upgrades, server didn't give us patches
[root@crashplan_1 /]#

Is it normal? Why the server didn't give us patches?

Thanks

lmannyr

Contributor
I don't have a .ui_info on the plugin side....Only a ".identity" in /var/lib/crashplan/

Do I need to add the .ui_info file or copy it from the client side?

lmannyr

Contributor
I don't have a .ui_info file under the server var/lib/crashplan/ I see a .identity file but its all jiberish... nothing I can READ there. tips?

Nick2253

Wizard
You don't have a .ui_info because you're still on version 3.x.

Zaq

Cadet
Starting from scratch, I have installed the CrashPlan plugin on FreeNAS. I've also installed the CrashPlan application on Windows. The CrashPlan GUI version is 4.4.1..

I've seen lots of posts around getting the service to update once a client is connected, and in all of those post, the client is older than the currently available 4.4.1 client. I'm willing to babysit the server as it's upgraded, but to do that, I need a 4.3 or older client. Can anyone help me find that client? Or is there another way?

Thanks!

jonandermb

Explorer
Oh, my god: Here we go again. Now I can't connect anymore the way I was connecting before.

I guess my server went to 4.4.1

I updated my client and tried to connect via ssh tunneling: this does not work anymore.

I'm tired, it really took me a lot of hours last time to get it to work. I'm about to throw the towel on this, cancel my subscription and forget about crashplan.

We have zero support and everytime the app gets updated, it breaks. Instead of giving us an UI where we can enter ip and token, we have to modify a lot of files in order to get it to work. If even we could redirect the X and configure it that way on a UI, but I guess that's impossible, isn't it?: This is the way I managed to configure my crashplan back at home while I was at my work the other day. ssh with the -X option and run "CrashPlanDesktop &" from a windows pc with xming: Worked like a charm. Why can't we have the same for this jails? I'm trying right now unsuccessfully as root user

Last edited:

BlinkyBill

Cadet
I have Crashplan GUI 4.4.1 running on a Windows 10 laptop and CrashPlan 3.6.3 running in my FreeNAS jail (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201510290351).

I have been trying to follow the instructions to setup a headless service setup in post #84, but my version of CrashPlan in the jail does not upgrade, and I have no /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info file to copy from.

I have executed the following in the CrashPlan jail:

· pkg update
o Resulting terminal lines:
§ Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
§ FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
§ All repositories are up-to-date.​

· pkg install bash
o Resulting terminal Lines:
§ Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
§ FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
§ All repositories are up-to-date.
§ Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
§ The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
§
§ New packages to be INSTALLED:
§ bash: 4.3.42
§
§ The process will require 6 MiB more space.
§
§ Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
§ [crashplan_1] [1/1] Installing bash-4.3.42...
§ [crashplan_1] [1/1] Extracting bash-4.3.42: 100%
§ Message from bash-4.3.42:
§ ======================================================================
§
§ bash requires fdescfs(5) mounted on /dev/fd
§
§ If you have not done it yet, please do the following:
§
§ mount -t fdescfs fdesc /dev/fd
§
§ To make it permanent, you need the following lines in /etc/fstab:
§
§ fdesc /dev/fd fdescfs rw 0 0
§
§ ======================================================================​

· ln -siv /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash
o Resulting terminals Lines:
§ replace /bin/bash? yes
§ /bin/bash -> /usr/local/bin/bash​

Executing cat /var/log/crashplan/engine_* | grep CPVER yields:

[11.01.15 17:26:27.788 INFO main root ] CPVERSION = 3.6.3 - 1388556100363 (2014-01-01T06:01:40:363+0000)

Scanning the log file, there do not appear to be any errors of note, but if I execute cat /var/log/crashplan/engine_* | grep CPVER upg it yields:

[11.01.15 17:13:54.600 INFO main om.backup42.service.upgrade.PatchManager] SKIP applying client upgrades, server didn't give us patches

This is similar to what gaszto posted in Post #128.

I have tried numerious stopping/starting Crashplan, restarting the jail and rebooting the FreeNAS device.

Initially, I ignored the message enclosed in the == box above, but the CP version did not update to a current version. Do I need to do this step on FreeNAS?
· I did try “mount -t fdescfs fdesc /dev/fd” but this resulted in “mount: fdesc: Operation not permitted”
· I then tried “sudo mount -t fdescfs fdesc /dev/fd” but this resulted in “sudo: Command not found.”
· I also investigated adding the line suggested to /etc/fstab via “ee /etc/fstab” to an empty file appeared to be empty, although I wasn’t exactly sure what to add.​

I’m not very linux-saavy, so would appreciate some suggestions on what to investigate next.

Thank you

Update #1:
After a day or so, my CrashPlan updated to 4.4.1 in the jail. I'm not sure if it was time elapsed or some sequence of actions that triggered it. One thing I did do differently prior to this occurring was to execute
"service crashplan stop" and "service crashplan start" directly in the jail shell and not use the GUI to stop/start the service.

Update #2:
Unfortunately I ended up with a corrupted jail and had to start again from scratch. But the good news is I figured out what the trigger for the crashplan update was for me: it was having correctly added storage to the crashplan jail.

In my first install i recall adding the jail storage while I was waiting for the crashplan to update. I think this is what triggered the upgrade. In the second install, somehow I added two storage entries with the same parameters. My crashplan was stuck at 3.6.3, until I noticed I had duplicate storage entries, and when I deleted one, it updated immediately.

For those interested in how I added the jail storage I followed the instructions listed here http://thomaschung.org/posts/2014/03/21/configuring-crashplan-in-freenas-part-2/.

I hope this helps someone, as it took days for me to get to this.

Last edited:

jonandermb

Explorer
Quick question: My client is 4.4.1, my server is 4.3.3.

Could this be the reason why when I try to launch the UI, I het the error "Crashplan has been disconnected from the backup engine"?

This is really driving me nuts.

Also: everytime I restart the crashplan jail, the .ui_info file changes the ID! Evry damn time: is this also normal? How to force crashplan to update to 4.4.1?

Tahnks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Have you installed bash in the crashplan jail, and made a symlink to /bin/bash? In the jail, do:
pkg update
pkg install bash
ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash

Without bash at /bin/bash, the server update to 4.4.1 won't run.

And yes, it seems to be normal that the .ui_info file is regenerated every time the jail restarts. This is one of the ways in which crashplan is (IMO) actively hostile to headless operation.

SirMaster

Patron
And yes, it seems to be normal that the .ui_info file is regenerated every time the jail restarts. This is one of the ways in which crashplan is (IMO) actively hostile to headless operation.

This has to be something with FreeBSD/FreeNAS/jails. I've never seen the GUID in the .ui_info change on my CrashPlan installation that's running in a Linux Container and I restart the container all the time.

millst

Contributor
Anybody run into Crashplan constantly disconnecting?

[11.03.15 09:27:37.693 WARN MQ-Peer-0 aging.peer.ClientIdentifierAgent] DUPID:: Possible duplicate session detected. remote guid=42, old session=714408166928224831. Delay retry for 5 minutes. Disconnect.

-tm

stualden

Explorer
Just noted that some type of CrashPlan upgrade occurred on the server today (about 8:30 this morning). It's called a "new version" but it still appears to be 4.4.1. Version number on my history log is 1435726800441, which is the same as the original 4.4.1 version number, so I'm not really sure why an update was triggered...

As expected, the port and key changed, killing communications between the server and the front end. Fix is as noted before:

1) Copy server's .ui_info to the front end's .ui_info.
2) On the front end's .ui_info, replace the 0.0.0.0 at the end of the line with the server's IP address
3) Restart CrashPlan on the front end and breathe a sigh of relief.

jonandermb

Explorer
Have you installed bash in the crashplan jail, and made a symlink to /bin/bash? In the jail, do:
pkg update
pkg install bash
ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash

Without bash at /bin/bash, the server update to 4.4.1 won't run.

Thanks, I did this. Now, I'm supposed to wait some hours until the update triggers, right? I still get the "disconnected from crashplan" message. The version didn't go past 4.3.3 still, though (i changed this ten minutes ago and rebooted)

BTW: How to know if crashplan is updating?

EDIT: 9 hours and one of my machines updated to 4.4.1, the other is still stuck at 4.3.3. Any tips? I tried restarting multiple times, connecting a client (which fails because the client is 4.4.1) and I don't really know what else to do. There is an "upgrade" folder in the crashplan folder but I dont know how to force the update.

EDIT2: I'm retarded and didnt symlink bash properly. Corrected it and the update started immediately.

Everything workig fine again. Thanks!

I might create a step-by-step foolproof wiki for myself and perhaps, publish it here and update it regularly so we don't ask the same question over and over again everytime there's an update.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.