CrashPlan updated to 4.3.0, now will not connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

subzer011

Dabbler
just wanted to add that this fix worked for me. crashplan was stuck on 4.3.3 and it wouldn't update. after running these short commands... and about 30 minutes later crashplan updated itself just fine. i can now remotely connect to it via crashplan 4.4.1 gui from my desktop. thanks danb35!

Have you installed bash in the crashplan jail, and made a symlink to /bin/bash? In the jail, do:
pkg update
pkg install bash
ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash

Without bash at /bin/bash, the server update to 4.4.1 won't run.

And yes, it seems to be normal that the .ui_info file is regenerated every time the jail restarts. This is one of the ways in which crashplan is (IMO) actively hostile to headless operation.

sully

Explorer
Unfortunately, I've followed and implemented every step detailed within this thread, however, my engine version refuses to update. I've even uninstalled the the plugin/jail twice, still each time the engine refuses to update.

Interestingly enough, the engine sees a newer version but no update is made available.

Code:
[11.10.15 20:21:02.810 INFO MQ-Peer-1 backup42.common.peer.PeerAgentController] WE have an old version, localVersion=1388556100363 (2014-01-01T06:01:40:363+0000), remoteVersion=1437714000501 (2015-07-24T05:00:00:501+0000), remoteGuid=-5795313247234236037

Upgrade grep...

Code:
[11.09.15 23:09:32.414 INFO main om.backup42.service.upgrade.PatchManager] SKIP applying client upgrades, server didn't give us patches
<upgradeVersion nil="true"/>
<upgradePath>upgrade</upgradePath>
<upgradeDelay>15000</upgradeDelay> 

I've given the engine over a week to pull the update. I've finally submitted a ticket to Code 42 regarding the issues, asking if there's a way to force the update.

Andrew076

Patron
Unfortunately, I've followed and implemented every step detailed within this thread, however, my engine version refuses to update. I've even uninstalled the the plugin/jail twice, still each time the engine refuses to update.

Interestingly enough, the engine sees a newer version but no update is made available.

Code:
[11.10.15 20:21:02.810 INFO MQ-Peer-1 backup42.common.peer.PeerAgentController] WE have an old version, localVersion=1388556100363 (2014-01-01T06:01:40:363+0000), remoteVersion=1437714000501 (2015-07-24T05:00:00:501+0000), remoteGuid=-5795313247234236037

Upgrade grep...

Code:
[11.09.15 23:09:32.414 INFO main om.backup42.service.upgrade.PatchManager] SKIP applying client upgrades, server didn't give us patches
<upgradeVersion nil="true"/>
<upgradePath>upgrade</upgradePath>
<upgradeDelay>15000</upgradeDelay> 

I've given the engine over a week to pull the update. I've finally submitted a ticket to Code 42 regarding the issues, asking if there's a way to force the update.

I had a similar issue. What I ended up doing was starting and stopping the service several times till it updated. If that a go and see if it helps.

sully

Explorer
I had a similar issue. What I ended up doing was starting and stopping the service several times till it updated. If that a go and see if it helps.

I've restarted it well over 50 times so far but receive "server didn't give us patches" message... I guess i'll just continue on.

Andrew076

Patron
I've restarted it well over 50 times so far but receive "server didn't give us patches" message... I guess i'll just continue on.

What happens when you enter (from in side the Crashplan Jail) "ls -l /bin/bash"? You should see something like this:
Code:
ls -l /bin/bash
root@crashplan_1:/ # ls -l /bin/bash 
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  19 Oct 16 20:46 /bin/bash -> /usr/local/bin/bash 
root@crashplan_1:/ #

sully

Explorer
Code:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  19 Nov 10 23:59 /bin/bash -> /usr/local/bin/bash

I believe bash is sym correctly...

sully

Explorer
Don't bother reaching out to Code 42 (Crashplan) for assistance with this issue, yes I know, headless configurations are unsupported, however, all i asked was if there was a way to forcible kick-off an update.

Mike (Code42 Helpdesk)
Nov 16, 8:23 AM

Hi Matt,

CrashPlan will auto-update on its own, but here's an old mac installer. https://download2.code42.com/installs/mac/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_3.6.3_Mac.dmg

You are also running CrashPlan on an unsupported architecture on crashplan_1. I will be unable to help you further.

Please keep in mind that running unsupported installations may result in unexpected behavior which could put your backup at risk!

Regards,

Mike

sully

Explorer
Well, I was able to get the crashplan updated.

However, it refused to do it on it's own, regardless of how many times I restarted, waited, bash, etc. Since the headless was still at 3.6.3, i fired up my older MacBook Air, which had 3.6.7 client. While tailing the headless log, I connected from the 3.6.7 client and the headless immediately kicked off an download/update to 4.4.1.

Really gotta get the plugin update to 4.4.x to avoid this going forward.

amorak

Dabbler
Any thoughts on how to get the update? I have a fresh install and I have re installed a few times - got the bash sym working fine and ye tit won't update 24 hrs later. tried a bunch of restarts....

This is what I get for the bash symlink:
Code:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  19 Nov 18 22:57 /bin/bash -> /usr/local/bin/bash    

Nick2253

Wizard
Any thoughts on how to get the update? I have a fresh install and I have re installed a few times - got the bash sym working fine and ye tit won't update 24 hrs later. tried a bunch of restarts....

This is what I get for the bash symlink:
Code:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  19 Nov 18 22:57 /bin/bash -> /usr/local/bin/bash   

What version are you on, and what client version are you using?

Bash is only important for updates to 4.4.x and beyond.

amorak

Dabbler
Running FreeNas 9.3 - my remote (freenas) crashplan is 3.6.3_1 and my local desktop is running crashplan client 4.4.1. So I need to get 3.6.3_1 to upgrade to 4.4.X so I can use it with my PC, etc.

I currently backup my PC using crashplan to their cloud service, but wanted to run crashplan on my NAS so I can use the same program to run a local backup of my PC to my NAS as well, using the crashplan client I am already running, since Crashplan does not support network attached drives as a backup location (inexplicably)

Nick2253

Wizard
Running FreeNas 9.3 - my remote (freenas) crashplan is 3.6.3_1 and my local desktop is running crashplan client 4.4.1. So I need to get 3.6.3_1 to upgrade to 4.4.X so I can use it with my PC, etc.

I currently backup my PC using crashplan to their cloud service, but wanted to run crashplan on my NAS so I can use the same program to run a local backup of my PC to my NAS as well, using the crashplan client I am already running, since Crashplan does not support network attached drives as a backup location (inexplicably)

Are you sure you're on 3.6.3_1, or are you just reading off the version of the plugin? The plugin version is not the same as the CrashPlan version underneath.

You also shouldn't be using client 4.4.1 yet. Crashplan clients of 4.4.x+ will not work with Crashplan servers 4.3.x and below. You will need to install client 4.3.x to connect to your server.

My guess is you've never connected you client to your Crashplan server. As far as I'm aware, you'll have to login to your Crashplan account in order for Crashplan to update at all, which requires you to connect to your server using the client.

amorak

Dabbler
How do I check the actual version? You're right, I am simply reading the plugin name..

So I should download an older 4.3.0x version and connect to that following the instructions for 4.3.x from code 42 and then it will force an update?

Can I do as I am trying? backup my PC to both my NAS and the crashplan cloud? or will these mods just allow me to backup to the NAS?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'm having trouble getting my headless to talk to my CP server, I take it the guide for this is no longer applicable?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Have you installed bash in the crashplan jail, and made a symlink to /bin/bash? In the jail, do:
pkg update
pkg install bash
ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash

Without bash at /bin/bash, the server update to 4.4.1 won't run.

And yes, it seems to be normal that the .ui_info file is regenerated every time the jail restarts. This is one of the ways in which crashplan is (IMO) actively hostile to headless operation.

Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # pkg install bash                                         
Updating repository catalogue                                                 
The following 1 packages will be installed:                                   

Installing bash: 4.3.18_2                                             

The installation will require 6 MB more space                                 

1 MB to be downloaded                                                         

Proceed with installing packages [y/N]: y                                     
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/All/bash-4.3.18_2.txz: Not Found                                                                          

Not good :/

diskdiddler

Wizard
Update:

I'm stupid.
I forgot my crashplan JAIL isn't the same IP as my FreeNAS server.
That being said, I can confirm that special key thing, is indeed changing each reboot for me like some of you.
I've updated my file correctly now and instead of instantly timing out, I'm getting the error quite quickly.

Code:
---------------------------
Critical Error
CrashPlan has been disconnected from the backup engine.
OK 

EDIT: That's poor design on Crashplans part. The LOCAL desktop copy of the app refuses to write out a log file since I've adjusted the .ui_info to point to the server.
This 'has been disconnected' error, does not register in any way in app.log or service.log in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\log\
Not ideal for identifying the problem, presumably I need to look at the server logs and identify what's wrong with my client that's attempting to connect.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
No, it isn't. Did you do the pkg update first? Bash 4.3.18 is not the current version, which is likely why it wasn't found.
Yes I did, first time I did it, got an error, subsequent times though it ..... well it did this?

Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # pkg update                                                
Updating repository catalogue                                                  

No indication if success or fail really.

Nick2253

Wizard
How do I check the actual version? You're right, I am simply reading the plugin name..

You have to check in the log file. I forget exactly how to do this. Search around the forums. This has been answered many times, so you should be able to figure it out pretty easily. Your plugin version will not change, even as CrashPlan is updated.

So I should download an older 4.3.0x version and connect to that following the instructions for 4.3.x from code 42 and then it will force an update?

There is no such thing as "forcing" an update. Every time the CrashPlan services connects to Code42, it will check if it's running the most recent version. On the next startup, it attempts to install this newer version.

Also, the instructions from Code42 are overly complicated. They have you set up an SSH tunnel to connect. This would be recommended if you were in an untrusted network, but for most people, especially home users, you can trust the network you're on, and an SSH tunnel is overkill.

Can I do as I am trying? backup my PC to both my NAS and the crashplan cloud? or will these mods just allow me to backup to the NAS?

All this plugin does is enable the CrashPlan service on your NAS. It's up to you how you configure it.

As far as Code42 is concerned, your PC and your FreeNAS are separate devices. Therefore, you'll need a subscription for both of them to backup to the cloud (or a family subscription). If you want to backup your PC to your NAS, and then backup everything to the cloud from your NAS, you could do as I do: use a different backup service to backup to a shared folder on the NAS, and then back that up to the cloud. You might also be able to do something with CrashPlan's "Backup to another computer" thing, but I don't know if that will get you backed up to the cloud.

Nick2253

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.