Help getting Crashplan running

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcloadetter

Explorer
I believe I'm almost there, and once done, will turn this into a definitive guide for new installs. I can't seem to find one, they're all pretty scattered. But here is my current scenario:

FreeNAS Plugins page says Status is running. CP disagrees. So I think my first issue is why isn't CP running.

CP JAIL
root@crashplan_1:/var/lib/crashplan # /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine status
CrashPlan Engine is stopped.
Which I don't quite get since the plugins page says it is running

I updated /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf
SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider ..."
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider ..."

/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
<serviceUIConfig>
<serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>
<servicePort>4365</servicePort>

/var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info
4365,<clientkey>

cat /var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log | grep CPVER
CPVERSION = 4.3.0

Doug McIntyre

Dabbler
Unfortunately, I think an upgrade broke it somehow.
My used-to-be-working-fine setup is no longer working, failing exactly the same way yours has.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I have the same thing going on with my crashplan jail. It has been up and running since the last upgrade that was pushed out. Wonder what kind of update got pushed out now?
Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # service crashplan status
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/crashplan: WARNING: no shebang line in /usr/bin/cpuset
crashplan is not running.

root@crashplan_1:/ # service crashplan onestart
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/crashplan: WARNING: no shebang line in /usr/bin/cpuset
CrashPlan is already running with pid 5178 5202 5674 5681 5682 5713 5714 5715 5716 6186 6201 6206 6234 6282 6283 6284 6285 6286 6287 6288 6289 6290 6291 6292 6293 6294 6295 6296 6297 6298 6321 6764 6765 6766 6767 6768 6769 6770 6812 6813 6814 6815 6816 6817 6818 6819 6820 6821 6822 6823 6824 6837 6860 6861 6862 6863

EDIT: I actually think it is running even though service says it isn't

Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # tail /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/log/history.log.0
I 09/06/15 11:00PM [Default] Scanning for files to back up
I 09/06/15 11:01PM [Default] Scanning for files completed in < 1 minute: 71,312 files (3.60TB) found
I 09/06/15 11:01PM [Default] Starting backup to CrashPlan Central: 10,018 files (810.50MB) to back up
I 09/06/15 11:20PM [Default] Completed backup to CrashPlan Central in 19 minutes: 10,018 files (810.50MB) backed up, 808.30MB encrypted and sent @ 5.9Mbps
I 09/07/15 11:00PM [Default] Scanning for files to back up
I 09/07/15 11:00PM [Default] Scanning for files completed in < 1 minute: 71,311 files (3.60TB) found
I 09/07/15 11:00PM [Default] Starting backup to CrashPlan Central: 4 files (36.90KB) to back up
I 09/07/15 11:00PM [Default] Completed backup to CrashPlan Central in < 1 minute: 4 files (36.90KB) backed up, 8KB encrypted and sent @ 0Mbps
I 09/08/15 11:00PM [Default] Scanning for files to back up
I 09/08/15 11:00PM [Default] Scanning for files completed in < 1 minute: 71,311 files (3.60TB) found

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
I've been trying to setup crashplan for the better part of a week and am never able to get java to start, with it always throwing an error. I'm not at home, otherwise I'd post the error log, however from two one tutorial on setting it up on 9.3 the writer said they had to uncheck VIMAGE, which isn't able to be unchecked on the most recent update (perhaps it was on a prior 9.3 update? I've only tried using the most recent update). Running sockstat -l in the jail cli should list java as listening on the appropriate port(s), but java refuses to start (if I recall right, it gives the line of code that's the issue, but I could be misremembering).

Is this similar to others not being able to get it to work, or should I create a new thread with all the proper logs pasted when I get home?

tonyp1983

Dabbler
I've been trying to setup crashplan for the better part of a week and am never able to get java to start, with it always throwing an error. I'm not at home, otherwise I'd post the error log, however from two one tutorial on setting it up on 9.3 the writer said they had to uncheck VIMAGE, which isn't able to be unchecked on the most recent update (perhaps it was on a prior 9.3 update? I've only tried using the most recent update). Running sockstat -l in the jail cli should list java as listening on the appropriate port(s), but java refuses to start (if I recall right, it gives the line of code that's the issue, but I could be misremembering).

Is this similar to others not being able to get it to work, or should I create a new thread with all the proper logs pasted when I get home?

Everything was working fine for me until I restarted my FreeNAS box today and now the same as you, running 'service crashplan start' appears to start with no issue but there's no java listening when I 'sockstat -l'. Wonder what they've changed?

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
I'm not sure how to troubleshoot or fix it, as I reinstalled FreeNAS due to switching the boot disk from an HDD to a thumb drive. Once I did that, I installed crashplan first and everything started up perfectly, with java listening. It could have been the re-install that fixed it, or it could have been re-importing the pool I use for jails.

tonyp1983

Dabbler
I've just deleted and resintalled the plugin and java is starting now but can't connect to it from the interface.

zoomzoom

Guru
I've just deleted and resintalled the plugin and java is starting now but can't connect to it from the interface.
By interface, do you mean on FreeNAS or the client computer?

tonyp1983

Dabbler
Client computer.

zoomzoom

Guru
You have to replace the ui.info file within the crashplan jail with the one from the client computer.
  • (Windows) C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\ui.info
    • If the client isn't a Windows PC, the CrashPlan link includes where the locations on other *nix distros are located
  • (CrashPlan Jail) /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info
    • Once copied over, restart crashplan on the client computer
CrashPlan talks about it here (however, it took me days to realize the "remote" computer was referring to the client computer, while the local computer referred to FreeNAS :oops:)

tonyp1983

Dabbler
You have to replace the ui.info file within the crashplan jail with the one from the client computer.
  • (Windows) C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\ui.info
    • If the client isn't a Windows PC, the CrashPlan link includes where the locations on other *nix distros are located
  • (CrashPlan Jail) /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info
    • Once copied over, restart crashplan on the client computer
CrashPlan talks about it here (however, it took me days to realize the "remote" computer was referring to the client computer, while the local computer referred to FreeNAS :oops:)

Looks like this is a hell of a lot more complicated that it was when I set it up before and I'm far too tired to be messing around with it tonight! I'll leave it for another day... if only they could just make it simple ey! :) Thank you for the replies, I may be back.

zoomzoom

Guru
Looks like this is a hell of a lot more complicated that it was when I set it up before and I'm far too tired to be messing around with it tonight! I'll leave it for another day... if only they could just make it simple ey! :) Thank you for the replies, I may be back.
The reason why the ui.info has to be replaced is because it's a new install of crashplan, therefor the authentication token is different. The reason why you can't connect is due to an authentication token mismatch. You should also be able to copy and paste the token info from the client to the jail's ui.info file (if one doesn't exist, create it)

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "complicated" as it's a simple copy/paste of a file

tonyp1983

Dabbler
I did that, checked the ports, etc but still nothing. I'm going to try both from scratch tomorrow and see if I can get it working.

Nick2253

Wizard
For those who can't connect from their client computer to the FreeNAS CrashPlan, the most common issue I've run in to is failing to set CrashPlan to listen on all interfaces.

By default, CrashPlan only listens on localhost (127.0.0.1), when it should listen on all interfaces (0.0.0.0) in the /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml file.

Check the line:
<serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>
which should be changed to:
<serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>

zoomzoom

Guru
For those who can't connect from their client computer to the FreeNAS CrashPlan, the most common issue I've run in to is failing to set CrashPlan to listen on all interfaces.

By default, CrashPlan only listens on localhost (127.0.0.1), when it should listen on all interfaces (0.0.0.0) in the /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml file.

Check the line:

which should be changed to:
He should have already had that set since it was working before for him (I know every tutorial for crashplan on FreeNAS I've come across states to set it to listen on all interfaces), but could very well be the issue if he didn't re-edit my.services.xml to reflect that after he uninstalled/reinstalled the crashplan plugin.

However, that isn't the issue in regards to the prior problems he, I, and others were having where a java error was preventing java from starting. No one is quite sure why that occurs with some but not others.

Nick2253

Wizard
That's why I said "For those who can't connect from their client computer to the FreeNAS CrashPlan". My post was not even remotely attempting to address the java issue.

Most likely, if Tony just installed the plugin, then he is at CrashPlan 3.6, which means the ui_info issue doesn't even apply (since it only applies after CrashPlan autoupdates to 4.x). And since he just installed the plugin, it's more than conceivable that he did not set the serviceHost correctly.

tonyp1983

Dabbler
Hi, I did have have the serviceHost set when this was working and have again set it up after deleting and reinstalling the plugin. my issue is that I don't have a .ui_info file in /var/lib/crashplan on the CrashPlan jail to copy to my Mac. I read somewhere else you can do it the other way, i.e. copy the Mac one to the CrashPlan jail but that doesn't work either.

Totally stuck. :(

Nick2253

Wizard
You won't have the .ui_info file until CrashPlan updates to 4.x. Right now, you're probably on 3.6 or so.

Check which version your plugin is running:
cat /var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log | grep CPV

If you are on 3.6, then the only steps you should have to take are set the serviceHost on the server, and change the ui.properties file on the client. Make sure you've got the IP set correctly in the ui.properties file.

Last edited:

tonyp1983

Dabbler
So after uninstalling the plugin on FreeNAS and the app on my Mac, I setup the plugin again and then downloaded version 3.6.4 of the client so that they would work together, changed the my.service.xml on FreeNAS and ui.properties on the Mac and got them to talk to each other.

Then it got interesting, on connecting the client again it advised me to update. So I updated the app on my Mac (suspecting that the plugin had been triggered to update) changed the files as before as a test, launched the app and it launched as if it was running locally so I decided to exit, edit the files again. ssh'd into the jail and checked to see if there was a .ui_info, there wasn't so I copied the app version of it, dropped the ip address from the end and put it in the right place in the jail. I then did a 'service crash plan start', everything was fine, sockstat -l showed java processes running listening on 4243 and 4242. Opened the app and it stayed on the splash screen which stated 'Upgrading', so I left it a while and decided to check the version as per your instructions and was informed there is no such file. Decided to check on the status of the service and it's not running (now confirmed by the app).

Now when I try to start the service it looks ok but then when I check the status it's not running. 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Is there a way I can force an update of the plugin and then know for certain it's done?

Status
Not open for further replies.