Crashplan engine on 4.3.3, client on 4.5. Engine doesn't upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dainis Berzins

Dabbler
Add me to the many that periodically are frustrated by Crashplan...

I cannot connect to my crashplan engine that is installed via the plugin and that has upgraded to version 4.3.3 (according to history.log.0). My desktop client has auto-upgraded to 4.5, but the engine does not auto-upgrade. I assume that the different versions prevent me from connecting to the engine. So why is the engine not updating?

In the FreeNAS jail (v9.3):
Info from app.log:
OS = Linux (2.6.16, i386)
JVM = Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (1.7.0_51-b13, 32-bit)
CPVERSION = 4.3.3 - 1430802000433 (2015-05-05T05:00:00:433+0000) - Build: 3​

/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml has the following serviceUIconfig settings:
<serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>
<servicePort>4268</servicePort>

/var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info has the following settings:
4268,053a88ab-xxxx-xxxx-9357-fb0dc8ee7b01,0.0.0.0​
/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf is as follows. The red text was what I expected to be missing, but it's there:
SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseNam
e=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx3072m -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.
negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanDesktop -DappBaseNam
e=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.n
egative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"​

Given this thread, I have installed bash-4.3.42_1 as confirmed by "pkg info" and done "ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash".

I have stopped and restarted the jail, but Crashplan does not auto-update.

What am I missing? What else could I try to get Crashplan to update beyond v4.3.3?

Thanks in advance!

jadz

Dabbler
I have found that CrashPlan only updates after being prompted to connect to CrashPlan Central (CPC), which I do by logging on with my CrashPlan account.

I've never seen this documented anywhere, but have you been able to connect to your 4.3.3 instance on the server with a client and associate it with your CrashPlan account yet?

chrisada

Explorer
I've seen in another post that someone downgraded their client to older, compatible, version and then was able to connect to 4.3.3.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jadz

Dabbler
I've seen in another post that someone downgraded their client to older, compatible, version and then was able to connect to 4.3.3.

This is certainly true. You will want to connect with the same client version, then associate it with your CP account which will kick of the upgrade process.

Liriel

Dabbler
Using Crashplan 4.3.0 client and following the instructions to update config files here, I was able to connect to Crashplan on Freenas.

One annoying development is that every time Crashplan is restarted on FreeNAS you will need to re-update the config files, as Crashplan creates a new ID in .ui_info, in order to connect to the server via the client. Note that backups will still work without these changes; they are just required to connect via the client UI.

Here are links to Crashplan 4.3.0 client:
Windows 32-bit: https://download1.code42.com/installs/win/install/CrashPlan/jre/CrashPlan_4.3.0_Win.exe
Windos 64-bit: https://download1.code42.com/installs/win/install/CrashPlan/jre/CrashPlan-x64_4.3.0_Win.exe
OS X (Mac): https://download1.code42.com/installs/mac/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.3.0_Mac.dmg

Dainis Berzins

Dabbler
OK. Thanks to you all for good pointers. I have uninstalled my v4.5 desktop client, deleted my old settings and installed v4.3. (When I tried without deleting the old settings, Crashplan started upgrading to a new version straight away so I would not be able to connect to the FreeNAS box, so I repeated with the delete).

When I get home, I'll try to configure it to connect to the FreeNAS install and hopefully that then let's it update to 4.4.1.

If it fails, I'll give the linux/debian VM a shot.

Dainis Berzins

Dabbler
OK. Managed to get a v4.3 desktop client to connect to my FreeNAS install! Now I just need it to be able to back up to my Windows PC that has a backup drive in it.

The client had upgraded to 4.5 so I downloaded 4.3 again, installed it, logged in and immediately I get the message "Upgrading Crashplan". I bet when it finished my client will be 4.5 again and my v4.3.3 on my FreeNAS box won't be able to connect to this PC.

Any ideas how I might prevent a Windows PC Crashplan installation from auto-updating when I first run it?

diskdiddler

Wizard

I just tried this and the second I went to log in to the crashplan app it said "Upgrading Crashplan" :/ it refuses to login to the app without upgrading?

Dainis Berzins

Dabbler
Update:

So as I understand it, all Crashplan clients need to be on the same version (see comments here https://helpdesk.code42.com/entries...hPlan-4-3-headless-Linux-client-can-t-connect) and since I have some windows clients that I cannot prevent from auto-upgrading to 4.5.0, there is no usable way to restore the FreeNAS Crashplan plugin install to a workable state because it cannot be upgraded and I cannot prevent the rest of my Windows clients from upgrading. Would be delighted to be proved wrong on this...

The only alternative, as I see, is to use VirtualBox and install a Linux VM on which to install Crashplan for Linux v4.5.0 as jeronsoenmans pointed out above. The notes (http://pastebin.com/cfbhCiwM) he refers to are a little sparse (at least for me as a first-time user of VirtualBox), but I did manage to get an install of Crashplan v4.5.0 to be running on a CentOS 7 VM in VirtualBox on FreeNAS. (I had many VirtualBox related issues and cannot restart the VM, but I suspect these are an unrelated issue). My notes from the install are as follows, but read them in parallel with the original instructions (http://pastebin.com/cfbhCiwM):
  • I first created a VM with 8GB VDI. This was full very quickly. My guess is that new backup files ate this up. On my second attempt I created a 256 GB dynamic VDI, just in case.
  • I installed from the CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal.iso
  • sshd_config is located in /etc/ssh when checking if X11Forwarding is enabled.
  • I did not run sudo yum install java-1.8.0-openjdk before installing Crashplan. CrashPlan installed the JRE for me.
  • I installed the GNOME GUI, rebooting the VM by clicking the Ctrl-Alt-Del button for the VM.
Code:
sudo yum groupinstall "X Window System"
sudo yum install gnome-classic-session gnome-terminal nautilus-open-terminal control-center liberation-mono-fonts
sudo unlink /etc/systemd/system/default.target
ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target

• I downloaded and installed the 4.5.0 version with these commands instead (the folder is different, install.sh, not just install):
Code:
curl https://download2.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.5.0_Linux.tgz -o CrashPlan_4.5.0_Linux.tgz
tar -xzf CrashPlan_*_Linux.tgz
cd  crashplan-install
sudo ./install.sh

• I installed VBoxGuestAdditions v4.3.14 (not v4.3.12 that failed to build).
    • Downloaded the VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.14.iso from here: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.3.14/
    • Uploaded the iso to the virtual machine. (I use WinSCP for such tasks).
    • In VirtualBox WebGUI, selected my VM, clicked Settings and then CD/DVD devices, then Choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file, selecting the uploaded iso.
    • Then ran the following commands:
Code:
sudo yum install kernel-devel gcc* epel-release cifs-utils
mkdir /media/cdrom
sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom
cd /media/cdrom
./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

• Note that I tried to get guest additions v4.3.12 to install before and that kept failing to build the kernel. I also did the following commands before I switched to v4.3.14. They may not be needed if you go straight to v4.3.14 Guest Additions:
Code:
yum install kernel-devel-3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64
echo export KERN_DIR=/usr/src/kernels/`uname -r` >> ~/.bashrc

• GuestAdditions v4.3.14 still failed to build the OpenGL support module when it installed. I did not try to fix this, but it did not prevent me from getting Crrashplan to run.
  • For some reason, I could not get NFS shared folders to mount. I switched to CIFS shares,
    • Added Shared folders to the VM in the VirtualBox GUI.
      • Name has to match a folder that exists in your VM e.g. /mnt/data
      • Path is the full path to the shared folder on your NAS. e.g. /mnt/Drive1/data
      • Auto-mount is enabled
      • Make sure your folder to which backups will be written is not read-only.
    • Ran the following commands to mount 2 different folders, one for storing backups, the other to read my data (where 192.168.3.20 would be the ip of my FreeNAS box, althought that's not my real IP...):
Code:
yum install samba-client samba-common cifs-utils
mount \\\\192.168.3.20\\backups /mnt/backups -t cifs
mount \\\\192.168.3.20\\freenas-data /mnt/Drive1-ro -t cifs

• Ran the CrashPlanDesktop. Since I had installed the GUI after installing CrashPlan, I had to run CrashPlanDesktop from the folder in which it had been installed (/usr/local/crashplan in my case) as I did not have an icon on the desktop.
  • Logged in and adopted my old FreeNAS crashplan-server
As I say, I have issues with VMs on VirtualBox. Specifically, they almost never boot for me, but I'm fairly sure that is something to do with my BIOS and FreeNAS/VirtualBox. So right now this VM is down for me and I can't restart it, but hopefully the above pointers might help others that are trying to resurrect CrashPlan on their FreeNAS box after their Windows clients have upgraded to 4.5.0.

danb35

Hall of Famer
When you created the VM, did you check the box for "use host i/o cache" in the VM settings (in the storage section, I believe)? I've found that to be necessary for my VMs to be at all stable. With that checked, though, they work fine.

Dainis Berzins

Dabbler
Thanks for the suggestion, danb35. This was checked by default for my VMs.

One thing I have noticed is that when the VMs are booting succesfully, at the start of most rows, I see a green "OK". When I see these, it always boots succesfully. When there are no "OK"s, then I know it will hang at the clocksource message. Not sure why this is or whether it is relevant.

Dainis Berzins

Dabbler
Another observation: since I installed virtualbox template jail, the server console has recurring error messages:
Code:
virtualbox sm-mta[59039]: u026TUZp049869: SYSERR(root): hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: World writable directory"

There are at least 12 such error messages, each with what I assume is a different process id in the square brackets.
What could be causing these and could this explain the unstable VMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.