CrashPlan updated to 4.3.0, now will not connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Thanks - looks good, how do I force a crashplan update? Maybe just reboot the jail and wait 15 minutes?
EDIT: Well no luck same error as earlier but at least crashplan can update itself.

Last edited:

Xelas

Explorer
Thanks - looks good, how do I force a crashplan update? Maybe just reboot the jail and wait 15 minutes?
EDIT: Well no luck same error as earlier but at least crashplan can update itself.

did you:
ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash

Also, ui_info gets changed very often, but they must be in sync. Double check them. Make sure crashplan isn't running when checking/editing the file, or it looks like your edits saved but they really aren't. I suggest copying info form the server to the client - I can't get it to work reliably the other way around, for some reason.
Also make sure you aren't blocking the ports you are using on the network or firewalls.

Yes - the whole thing is a massive PITA. The bash requirement was a one-time deal I can deal with, but having to SSH into my FreeNAS server to copy ui_info all the time (and remembering where the dang thing is every couple weeks) is getting incredibly annoying and a waste of time.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I actually might have forgotten to "ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash"

I've just done that, it instantly came back to the command prompt (?)
Then rebooted the jail, re-updated ui_info (definitely every jail reboot, it re-updates)

No dice
I might wait 30 minutes tonight and see? It might take some time to initiate an update.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Tried it again, new error - good sign?

root@crashplan_1:/ # ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash
ln: /bin/bash: File exists
root@crashplan_1:/ #

So I'm guessing that bit is done, now it's just up to Crashplan to try and update.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Still no dice unfortunately.

Xelas

Explorer
I actually might have forgotten to "ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash"

I've just done that, it instantly came back to the command prompt (?)
Then rebooted the jail, re-updated ui_info (definitely every jail reboot, it re-updates)

No dice
I might wait 30 minutes tonight and see? It might take some time to initiate an update.
If you are rebooting the jail, and then changing ui_info, that won't work. Crash plan has already loaded the old parameters. You need to
services Crashplan stop
Edit the file
Then
services crashplan start.

Try rebooting jail again, then copy the ui_into parameters into your client instead of trying to update the server. Make sure that crash plan is not running on the client (use task manager or top or whether your OS needs) when you after making the edits. Don't forget that the server needs to have 0.0.0.0 while the client needs the server's IP (this was discussed earlier in the thread).

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
I think you're misunderstanding me

I'm remoting into the jail, getting the key from .ui_info in /var/lib/crashplan and then copying the text and placing it into my LOCAL .ui_info file on my desktop - I would assume messing with the .ui_info on the server would ... break stuff?

I've renabled the crashplan service under services.msc HOWEVER, I could've damn well swore, last time I got this working 7 months ago, the LOCAL crashplan service on the desktop PC wasn't even needed. It's headless - connecting to the service located on the freenas box.
None the less, I started the service, rebooted the jail and ensured .ui_info was correct.

No dice, same error :/
4243,aa69e2fa-bc97-4589-XXXX-321488a13471,0.0.0.0
Server

4243,aa69e2fa-bc97-4589-XXXX-321488a13471,192.168.0.242
Desktop

Both CP Jail had been rebooted, service restarted on desktop

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm remoting into the jail, getting the key from .ui_info in /var/lib/crashplan and then copying the text and placing it into my LOCAL .ui_info file on my desktop - I would assume messing with the .ui_info on the server would ... break stuff?

This is the way you're supposed to do it. If you change it on the server, it won't break stuff, it just won't work.

I've renabled the crashplan service under services.msc HOWEVER, I could've damn well swore, last time I got this working 7 months ago, the LOCAL crashplan service on the desktop PC wasn't even needed. It's headless - connecting to the service located on the freenas box.
None the less, I started the service, rebooted the jail and ensured .ui_info was correct.

The local crashplan service is completely unnecessary for a headless setup. There are two pieces to CrashPlan: the client, and the backup engine. When you go headless, you are running the client on your local machine, and the engine on the FreeNAS box. Starting the engine (service) on your local end will at best just waste resources, and at worst, could conflict with the headless setup.

Since I'm too lazy to look back :p, what is the error you are getting?

Xelas

Explorer
I think you're misunderstanding me

Server

Desktop

Both CP Jail had been rebooted, service restarted on desktop
What Nick said, and yes - I thought you were changing ui_info on the server. Sorry.
Just a thought - you aren't, by chance, rebooting the jail after you copy the ui_info to the client, are you?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Definitely not rebooting jail AFTER getting the key.
Error message is

1. ---------------------------
  2. Critical Error
  3. ---------------------------
  4. CrashPlan has been disconnected from the backup engine.
  5. ---------------------------
  6. OK
  7. ---------------------------

Key / IP address, definitely correct in my desktop machine.

Nick2253

Wizard
Where are you getting this error? On the server or the client?

What's the version of CrashPlan on the server and on the client?

diskdiddler

Wizard
4.4.1 Crashplan client (where the error is coming from)
Server I can't see or tell - I can't access it, without the client? Just shell into the OS through the jails console?

Nick2253

Wizard
The only way you can tell is through the shell. There's some engine status log file you have to check for the version. I don't remember it exactly; search around, it's posted on the forums.

If your server is not at 4.4.X, then that explains the cause of the error. You can only using 4.4.X clients to connect to 4.4.X servers. If your server is still 4.3.X or below, you'll need to use a 4.3.X client, and modify the ui.properties file (which is unused for version 4.4 and up).

diskdiddler

Wizard
Well the whole point of me repairing pkg, installing bash and running that particular bash line was to help crashplan be able to update itself.
That's no guaruntee it's fixed tho is it.

I'll have to find out how to check which version, oh boy!

Xelas

Explorer
To check version:
tail -f /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/log/app.log | grep CPVERSION

I think the crashplan plugin may not initiate updates until a GUI logs into it. You may need to get your hands on an older install and log in to kick-start the process.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Xelas:
Thanks for the information, "tail" is broken on my CP jail - because that command didn't return a cdamn thing.
Did copy the log out of the folder, viewed it manually, I'm 4.3.3 ! So thank you, really appreciate it.

So.. problem found - how does one force it to update?
Thanks again!

Nick2253

Wizard
Like I said before:
If your server is still 4.3.X or below, you'll need to use a 4.3.X client, and modify the ui.properties file (which is unused for version 4.4 and up).

You'll need to put the correct IP in the ui.properties file on the client side, and then connect to the engine. As soon as you connect, that should trigger the engine connecting to the CrashPlan cloud, which will cause it to attempt to update. You can also check the error log on the server for any things that aren't working correctly.

diskdiddler

Wizard
That much HAS been done correctly, definitely - and it doesn't work......?

jonandermb

Explorer
i just want to make a pause here to tell those that are having connectivity issues that they have to double or triple check the configurations since the ui_info files and other config files change from time to time, sometimes even without rebooting. i have been having problems in the past thinking something weird was going one and the real problem was that one of those files changed and I was so very sure I did edit it that it took me three or four days to realize the info was incorrect.

When we're trying to help we might sound douchey telling you to double check the config files: It's just becauseof this reason!

Be patient and triple or even 5x check your config files!! They'll change when you less expect it!

Nick2253

Wizard
That much HAS been done correctly, definitely - and it doesn't work......?

You just told us your server is on 4.3.X, and your client is 4.4.X. Which means you haven't done that correctly.

Now, assuming you use the correct version of the client, and you still have problems, have you checked the log files on the server? The engine log file is very rich with detail, and will help point you in the right direction if you're not updating. However, if you are using a 4.3.X client and a 4.3.X server, you should have no problems connecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.