SOLVED X11SSL-F won't boot

Davvo

MVP
I built my own nas.

Plugged in everything, BMC Heartbeat led works as intended (blinks), but I can't seem to make the mobo power up. At the start I tried bridging the pins, then removed everything but the 8 and 24 PIN, CPU and CPU Cooler, still won't boot up.

Doing a bit of research I found an old post regarding an x10 mobo that had the exact same issue: it turned out that the BIOS of the MoBo didn't support the CPU.

Since I don't have any other processor that can fit the socket and I don't really want to do the thermal paste ritual, I wanted to update BIOS by IPMI, but before I buy the key (don0t actually know which version, but that's not the issue now), I wanted an opinion from you all.
My MoBo is Rev. 1.01, specs are in signature.
Please help, I am quite upset (mostly with myself).

Last edited:

neofusion

Contributor
I built my own nas.

Plugged in everything, BMC Heartbeat led works as intended (blinks), but I can't seem to make the mobo power up. At the start I tried bridging the pins, then removed everything but the 8 and 24 PIN, CPU and CPU Cooler, still won't boot up.

Doing a bit of research I found an old post regarding an x10 mobo that had the exact same issue: it turned out that the BIOS of the MoBo didn't support the CPU.

Since I don't have any other processor that can fit the socket and I don't really want to do the thermal paste ritual, I wanted to update BIOS by IPMI, but before I buy the key (don0t actually know which version, but that's not the issue now), I wanted an opinion from you all.
My MoBo is Rev. 1.01, specs are in signature.
Please help, I am quite upset (mostly with myself).
Are you sure about the CPU support?
Supermicro's site lists:
  • Intel® Celeron®, Intel® Pentium®, Intel® 7th/6th Generation Core i3 series, Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v6/v5
  • Single Socket LGA-1151 (Socket H4) supported, CPU TDP supports Up to 80W TDP
As far as I can see, the G5420 is 8th gen Coffee Lake, but maybe I am mistaken.

Davvo

MVP
Are you sure about the CPU support?
Supermicro's site lists:
  • Intel® Celeron®, Intel® Pentium®, Intel® 7th/6th Generation Core i3 series, Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v6/v5
  • Single Socket LGA-1151 (Socket H4) supported, CPU TDP supports Up to 80W TDP
As far as I can see, the G5420 is 8th gen Coffee Lake, but maybe I am mistaken.
oof

No, really. Big OOF.
Thank you, that's surely the issue. CPU is not compatible.
I misread the line, somehow believed only i3 series having the 7th/6th generation requirement.

Last edited:

neofusion

Contributor
oof

No, really. Big OOF.
Thank you, that's surely the issue. CPU is not compatible.
I misread the line, somehow believed only i3 series having the 7th/6th generation requirement.
If you find a different CPU you might still need to update the BIOS since 7th gen CPUs require at least v. 2.0:
  • BIOS version 2.0 or above is required to support 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i3 Processors and Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 v6 series

Edit: I agree that the wording on SuperMicro's site is weird, but the MB supporting 8th gen CPUs and that not actually being specifically mentioned would be super strange. Plus, as I recall, even if the pins match, the usage of the pins is different.

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
Will see, bought a G4560. Maybe I am lucky and won't need to flash the BIOS.
edit: BIOS version is 2.6 so it should work.

Last edited:

neofusion

Contributor
Congratulations! :smile:

VladTepes

Patron

Davvo

MVP
So the CPU you had was faulty and a new CPU fixed the problem?
No, CPU was (probably) fine. It wasn't supported.
Also, I had attached the front panel connectors to the wrong pins as I misread the manual.