SOLVED "Unable to display current owner"

OzFromMarz

Cadet
I made a stupid mistake, I was messing around on Windows 10 in my shared TrueNas core 12.0 storage drive and I wanted to give a folder exclusive permission. So I set my folder to deny everyone in windows. I did this through a connection from my subnet. I tried some stuff but have no luck in reverting those changes. The Owner is set as "Unable to display current owner". This can be a windows issue, but I wanted to try my luck here on this forum because this is happening to my TrueNas machine.

Davvo

MVP
You can (and should) change the share's ACL from the WebUI (strip and apply recursively), and you can also access its files using ssh with the root account.

If however we are talking of a VM (and as such a zvol) I don't know how to help you.

OzFromMarz

Cadet
Thank you for the reply! I was able to access my files through the shell, but Where do I strip the ACLs? Can you give more details on how to do this, I'm lost? My version is TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1 Core

Davvo

MVP

That is how it's done in 13, I don't know if it's different in 12.

OzFromMarz

Cadet
Thank You for your help, I was able to access it again! I wasn't able to find the strip ACL option until after I gave them a new custom ACL permission.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
So I set my folder to deny everyone in windows generally speaking, this is a bad idea. In Windows and on TrueNAS it denies access to _literally_ everyone.

I'll probably add yet another validation check to prevent users from doing this via the webui.