Gave users permission to delete. Doesn't actually work?

Shaggy1007

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I'm in charge of migrating our company file server off of a windows installation to our new TrueNAS box, a TRUENAS-MINI-3.0-X running TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1.
Ive searched and seen this issue resolved, but, for some reason mine will not behave.

I'm trying to do the typical scenario of: only administrators can add/delete/rename root folders, The users can all do whatever they like once inside those folders. This is a samba share.

Right now, with these permissions set, basically the users can access everything, but cant edit anything in the sub folders. I don't understand why?
If I logon as a user and try to edit the file or folder name on something in a subdirectory, it lets me. If i try to delete something, it will not.

I've stripped ACL's from the pool and file system. I've made my AdminUser the owner of the root folder.

I've attached my security settings from the windows perspective. I tried to copy how the original windows file server was, but, that yielded no results.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Root Folder.png
    Root Folder.png
    27 KB · Views: 193
  • sub folder.png
    sub folder.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 172

Shaggy1007

Cadet
So after much tinkering,

I've got it to where users cant delete the root folder, and cannot change the names, which is exactly what we want.

However, now there's a bigger issue.
1. If i assign any security permissions based on usergroup, it appears Truenas isn't recognizing the usergroup of the logged in user. At the moment I have to specify every user I want the security for! 118 users, 8 different departments...this isn't going to fly.

2. If a user deletes a root folder, it pops up says "not permitted, must have administrator rights"
...while it's popping this up, its deleting all the files within the directory! When this was a windows server, this would never happen!