How to stop Owner Group From Changing

truecharts

Guru
That is why when one develops for *nix, they develop with the culture of the ecosystem in mind. Changing filesystem Ownership and Permissions descriptors "in the dark" is akin to changing the privacy settings in a windows machine, as far as I am concerned. Meaning, with such an operating profile (of the app), many people would think twice before installing it in their system. In the *nix ecosystem, most apps warn you even if they are run in sudo by you, that they get too much power. A way to operate way far from changing mission critical settings with an attitude "I am the only app here, everything runs for me". Even if the option to eventually stop this behavior (but... in no way fine-tune it, "it" the behavior, not how *nix security descriptors work) exists, consider what people would say if the option didn't exist... And that, I think (without any concrete data, just my feeling) is the reason that the option even exists in the first place. Have a good day.

It really helps for readability to use enter once in a while...

We do our best to give the best experience possible to our users.
This option is not "in the dark" it's a prominently displayed checkbox, right between the header of the storage option and the path to be mounted.

We disagree that most apps warn about bad security practices. In fact: We have continued fights with applications and containers demanding to be run as root, actually: The vast majority of our catalog needs to be run as root due to upstream issues.

It's also not the case that the complete App runs as root due to this setting. It's also done in a seperate init-container.

Anyway:
We've already gone over this quite thoroughly, given much insight an took previous advice to heart.
So these continued discussions, which are basically repeating what was said previously, are not really adding anything of value for anyone.

---
That being said:
If you want to give feedback to our staff and discuss our project choices, please reach out to our project directly
The 2-3 team members reading this forum, are not, single handly, going to change (design-)policies based on what is said here, generally speaking ;-)

homer27081990

Patron
It really helps for readability to use enter once in a while...

We do our best to give the best experience possible to our users.
This option is not "in the dark" it's a prominently displayed checkbox, right between the header of the storage option and the path to be mounted.

We disagree that most apps warn about bad security practices. In fact: We have continued fights with applications and containers demanding to be run as root, actually: The vast majority of our catalog needs to be run as root due to upstream issues.

It's also not the case that the complete App runs as root due to this setting. It's also done in a seperate init-container.

Anyway:
We've already gone over this quite thoroughly, given much insight an took previous advice to heart.
So these continued discussions, which are basically repeating what was said previously, are not really adding anything of value for anyone.

---
That being said:
If you want to give feedback to our staff and discuss our project choices, please reach out to our project directly
The 2-3 team members reading this forum, are not, single handly, going to change (design-)policies based on what is said here, generally speaking ;-)
I am sorry about the readability of my reply, but, not too much :wink: . Everything, as you said, is left for whomever it may concern to judge. Have a nice day (all 3 of you).