Permissions on pool changed after installing syncthing

mrbl0nde

Cadet
Hi!
I'm running TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2 and made a pool for my data called "datapool".
I installed syncthing from TrueNAS charts and configured it with user and group 568 (apps). To be more flexible using my existing structure for backup fotos and files from my smartphone with syncthing, I set the host path directly to the pool (/mnt/datapool). Syncthing works perfectly but I recognized, that now the unix permissions for the whole root datset (/mnt/datapool) was changed to owner "apps" and group "apps" and syncthing added folders which I cannot access.

Is there a way to reset/change the unix permissions on the pool? The documentation for TrueNAS scale says, it's not possible using the ACL editor. Unfortunately I don't have any Linux skills for command line. Can u please help me?

Thx!

I suspect there is something weird going on here. I've been running syncthing for months and just recently sync started failing due to perms problems on the .<name> tmp files. I've been trying to track down the root case without luck so far.

Any chance you are seeing perms issue with specifically the tmp files?

Stux

MVP
Hi!
I'm running TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2 and made a pool for my data called "datapool".
I installed syncthing from TrueNAS charts and configured it with user and group 568 (apps). To be more flexible using my existing structure for backup fotos and files from my smartphone with syncthing, I set the host path directly to the pool (/mnt/datapool). Syncthing works perfectly but I recognized, that now the unix permissions for the whole root datset (/mnt/datapool) was changed to owner "apps" and group "apps" and syncthing added folders which I cannot access.

Is there a way to reset/change the unix permissions on the pool? The documentation for TrueNAS scale says, it's not possible using the ACL editor. Unfortunately I don't have any Linux skills for command line. Can u please help me?

Thx!
I think this is perhaps working as expected.

You should be able to change the permissions in the shell.

My problem was a result of syncthing being somewhat inflexible as to how it handles odd characters in file names(ex: , : | ).

Re setting perms when actually needed, I think you can do that recursively in the UI even after the dataset has been created. However I usually ssh and do it old school unless I have complicated ACLS.

1. ssh in
2. cd /mnt/<pool>/<dataset>
3. chown -R ...
4. chmod ...