TrueNAS SCALE 22.12-BETA.1 has been released!

truecharts

Guru
I'd suggest starting a new thread after testing what works and doesn't work with Rc1.

As you're well aware, combining shares with App storage has been disabled on purpose.
So everything is working as expected here ;-)

Sawtaytoes

Patron
As you're well aware, combining shares with App storage has been disabled on purpose.
So everything is working as expected here ;-)
The question I have is "why?". I could get around this with parent datasets, but why wouldn't I just say "here's a share, but it's also something I wanna access over Samba"?

The question I have is "why?". I could get around this with parent datasets, but why wouldn't I just say "here's a share, but it's also something I wanna access over Samba"?
Because ACL's.
A more detailed explanation from Kris Moore on reddit from a couple of weeks ago:

The issue is that if you have an SMB share also shared to a container, the container may trample ACLs and xattrs, since its not aware of them, and we don't know what is really running inside the container. Depending on what you do with your SMB shares, that could be a data-loss situation.

That said, if you are doing simple things, you can disable this safety belt easy enough to restore the previous behavior. I do that with my Plex apps for example, but in a more enterprise scenario I'd recommend leaving that safety on.