TrueNAS SCALE Bluefin 22.12.0 has been released!

mirko80

Dabbler
Do you know if there was a bug on Anglefish with virtual network speed? Mine was stuck at 1Gbit/s between host and guests (with virtio nics on guests), so I had to switch back to Proxmox because of this, that can do about 40Gbit/s on the same machine. I'd like to switch to Scale one day in the future...

etrigan63

Dabbler
I cannot access the shell of my apps. I get the following error:
Code:
WARN[0000] Unable to read /etc/rancher/k3s/k3s.yaml, please start server with --write-kubeconfig-mode to modify kube config permissions
error: error loading config file "/etc/rancher/k3s/k3s.yaml": open /etc/rancher/k3s/k3s.yaml: permission denied

I am logged in as me, not root.

etrigan63

Dabbler
Code:
WARN[0000] Unable to read /etc/rancher/k3s/k3s.yaml, please start server with --write-kubeconfig-mode to modify kube config permissions
error: error loading config file "/etc/rancher/k3s/k3s.yaml": open /etc/rancher/k3s/k3s.yaml: permission denied

Have to log in as root for some reason.

mervincm

Contributor

eqartimus

Explorer
Is this an upgrade from Version 13? I am on that train and wondering if I should switch.

zatemnenie

Cadet
Code:

+1, fresh install, logged in web-ui as admin account (not root)

NugentS

MVP

sybreeder

Explorer
The only thing I notice is after the release update is that Plex remains on deploying.
Unfortunately it's not starting for me

Code:
2022-12-18 22:59:59
Container image "plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass" already present on machine

2022-12-18 22:59:56
Error: Error response from daemon: invalid volume specification: '/mnt/tank/Plex:/data': Invalid mount path. /mnt/tank/Plex. Following service(s) uses this path: `SMB Share`.

2022-12-18 22:59:51
Successfully pulled image "plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass" in 1m42.735236068s

2022-12-18 22:58:10
Pulling image "plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass"

2022-12-18 22:58:08
Add eth0 [172.16.0.6/16] from ix-net

2022-12-18 22:58:08
Add net1 [192.168.1.41/24] from ix-plex/ix-plex-0

2022-12-18 22:58:02
Scaled up replica set plex-ix-chart-55468bcbc6 to 1

Created pod: plex-ix-chart-55468bcbc6-45vmj

0/1 nodes are available: 1 Insufficient nvidia.com/gpu. preemption: 0/1 nodes are available: 1 No preemption victims found for incoming pod.

2022-12-18 22:57:53
MountVolume.SetUp failed for volume "kube-api-access-mstmn" : object "ix-plex"/"kube-root-ca.crt" not registered

2022-12-18 22:57:52
network is not ready: container runtime network not ready: NetworkReady=false reason:NetworkPluginNotReady message:docker: network plugin is not ready: cni config uninitialized

NugentS

MVP
Yup - and if you search - you will find out why

danb35

Hall of Famer
Warning, don't update to Bluefin if you're using Apps:

mervincm

Contributor
Post bluefin update I had no apps available
I had to wait a long time after the initial reboot, perhaps 30 minutes on my 10 core system w -20 apps. I also had to disable the host path warning and reboot at least one more time. Now all my apps are running, my true tool runs daily, everything seems ok. I was worried, but in the end it seems OK.

sybreeder

Explorer
Warning, don't update to Bluefin if you're using Apps:
All my apps are broken now. kubernetes doesn't want to start. no matter what i wastrying to do. even booting to older version didn't help :(

derp90

Dabbler
Is there a reason that Bluefin is the listed "Stable" on the website for Truenas scale?

A fresh install is unable to install any apps using all default settings, unable to check for updates, and many other issues.
I ran into a ton of issues yesterday because I didn't realize that the "Stable" version of scale was a very unstable "bluefin" version

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there a reason that Bluefin is the listed "Stable" on the website for Truenas scale?
Because it is? Well, roughly as stable as you're likely to get, anyway.

The problems you report sound like you have a fundamental networking issue. Suggest starting your own thread to discuss it. Note that the forum rules, which you said you read and agreed to when you joined the forum the other day, strongly encourage require you describe your hardware configuration, any error messages you're receiving, as well as other information that would be relevant.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
All my apps are broken now. kubernetes doesn't want to start. no matter what i wastrying to do. even booting to older version didn't help :(

Adding a status note on TrueNAS SCALE Bluefin.... There are now about 13,000 Bluefin systems up and active. Most of iX TrueNAS test systems have been running Bluefin very reliably.

Apart from the bugs identified in the release notes, the Apps have had the most reports of problems. So far 8 bug reports. We'd guess 10s of systems are having problems.... but frankly we don't have a great way of collecting this data, apart from these forums.

Unfortunately, we have not seen a pattern in those existing reports nor have we been able to reproduce a case. We are not sure if there are one or more causes of the issues... and whether there are specific processors/hardware that cause issues. It may or may not be related to having multiple pools.

So, we have three requests:

1) Please report any case where Apps are failing to run. Start a new thread with hardware details, we'll see if there's any obvious problem and then ask for a bug report. We can also see more clearly how many systems have an issue. Finding a simple system with an issue would be useful.

2) If anyone can reproduce the issue on a SCALE VM, that would be useful. We might be able to reproduce and isolate any software causes faster.

3) If anyone has time and spare hardware available, try building an angelfish system, installing Apps and then updating to Bluefin. Please report success/failure and the hardware spec. 1st person should start a separate thread.

Thanks in advance for any help.