TrueNAS 13.0-U1 is Now Available

I have attached replacement for vfs_ixnas for 13.0-U1 to this post.

WARNING: This is only for 13.0-U1. Using on an incorrect version of TrueNAS may cause smbd service to refuse connections.

Steps to apply:
1. Stop SMB service
2. Either clone current boot environment or make a copy of /usr/local/lib/shared-modules/vfs/ixnas.so
3. Extract attached zip
4. replace /usr/local/lib/shared-modules/vfs/ixnas.so with one from zip
5. Start SMB service

Steps to revert:
1. Stop SMB service
2. Copy stored old version of ixnas.so to /usr/local/lib/shared-modules/vfs
3. Start SMB service

Hashes (generated with `sha256` command on TrueNAS 13):
SHA256 (ixnas.so) = 7f20d35bd00c983efa6ed7ceba0db75119641b6c75a800866486bfee067db20b
^^^ New version
SHA256 (ixnas.so) = 4821e9089bc23e1cbea853e215204f60f78e13810864a2610b633f3801e1c75b
^^^ Original version

How to verify it's working:
1. Find path within SMB share that is affected (no SYNCHRONIZE bit set)
2. Run smbcacls command with appropriate arguments to see ACL on path.

Example:
smbcacls //127.0.0.1/SHARE stuff -U smbuser%Cats -j | jq
This will pretty-print JSON-formatted ACL of path "stuff" within the share "SHARE" authenticating with user "smbuser" with password "Cats".

You should see `synchronize: true` on all ALLOW entries (regardless of what is set in local FS ACL).
Like any shell commands, escaping or quoting path may be required.

Commit in our samba repo: https://github.com/truenas/samba/commit/6e1bae5a4589b500eb69302ff3ea08e3d2e9dff8

NOTE: if you run into an issue with these steps, please PM me and I will figure out what went wrong and edit this post accordingly.
Will it be necessary to revert this fix before updating to U2, when it arrives?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
bit confused... here 13.1 is released but if you enabled the 13.x channel it posts a big banner at the bottom saying this is not production ready.

Are we ok to execute the 13.0 or 13.1 update now.

G

At iX we have a very large installed based of production customer running critical workloads for their organizations. These are complex systems where downtime and troubleshooting efforts are very expensive.

TrueNAS 13.0 is Released..... we assess that the probability of losing data is extremely low.
However, we don't claim that there will not be minor issues/bugs. These are still being worked through with each update.
As such, we warn those "production" users (and anyone that is risk adverse). Those customers should stay on 12.0-U8.1

There's a general overview on the lifecycle here: https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/corereleasenotes/#software-lifecycle

kjacques1

Dabbler
I felt brave yesterday, so upgraded from 12.0-U8 to U8.1 and then to 13.0-U1 without any problems.

I recreated my emby jail using the 13.1-RELEASE template, and then started the job of upgrading the others using iocage upgrade. I encountered a minor issue with the process pausing, but I just needed to enter 'qqq' when the file list is displayed and everything completed fine. I've done 3, so have a few more to do.

Thanks to everyone involved at iXsystems.
Hmm, I've tried a few times to recreate my emby jail and it will not allow me to access the web interface. Mine sharing the instructions you used?

Krautmaster

Explorer
I have attached replacement for vfs_ixnas for 13.0-U1 to this post.

WARNING: This is only for 13.0-U1. Using on an incorrect version of TrueNAS may cause smbd service to refuse connections.

Steps to apply:
1. Stop SMB service
2. Either clone current boot environment or make a copy of /usr/local/lib/shared-modules/vfs/ixnas.so
3. Extract attached zip
5. Start SMB service

Steps to revert:
1. Stop SMB service
3. Start SMB service

SHA256 (ixnas.so) = 7f20d35bd00c983efa6ed7ceba0db75119641b6c75a800866486bfee067db20b
^^^ New version
SHA256 (ixnas.so) = 4821e9089bc23e1cbea853e215204f60f78e13810864a2610b633f3801e1c75b
^^^ Original version

How to verify it's working:
1. Find path within SMB share that is affected (no SYNCHRONIZE bit set)
2. Run smbcacls command with appropriate arguments to see ACL on path.

Example:
smbcacls //127.0.0.1/SHARE stuff -U smbuser%Cats -j | jq
This will pretty-print JSON-formatted ACL of path "stuff" within the share "SHARE" authenticating with user "smbuser" with password "Cats".

You should see `synchronize: true` on all ALLOW entries (regardless of what is set in local FS ACL).
Like any shell commands, escaping or quoting path may be required.

Commit in our samba repo: https://github.com/truenas/samba/commit/6e1bae5a4589b500eb69302ff3ea08e3d2e9dff8

NOTE: if you run into an issue with these steps, please PM me and I will figure out what went wrong and edit this post accordingly.
seems to fix the issue, thx

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I just rolled back to 12.0-U8.1 from 13.0-U1. Was having trouble accessing some of my files via SMB. I'll wait until the SMB kinks are worked out before trying 13 again.

adrianwi

Guru
Hmm, I've tried a few times to recreate my emby jail and it will not allow me to access the web interface. Mine sharing the instructions you used?

I just followed the standard instructions on the emby website > https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

Pretty standard VNET jail, but I do mount the /var/db/emby-server folder inside the jail to a pool and dataset running on a SSD, with various media folders mounted to my main TrueNAS HDD pool.

I only recreated it as I knew there was a different version of emby for FreeBSD 13, and it only took 20 minutes to rebuild it manually. Upgrading the 12.2-RELEASE jails is taking longer!

Update went fine for me, no hick-ups, jails upgrading to 13.1 was smooth, every smb dependent application worked just fine (no windows clients though). Loving the wireguard kernel module, it saves me about 10% of cpu utilization. Thumbs up!

dvandemaele

Cadet
Thanks anodos

After incurring the same issue on updating to 13.0-U1 (everything SMB related was fine for me on 13.0) I followed you steps to patch vfs_ixnas. This resolved the access issue (windows and mac clients could access the SMB shares). However, on 13.0-U1 I am not able to edit ACLs from windows (whereas I could on 13.0). Not sure if others are seeing this. Anyway I've rolled back to 13.0 for now.
Same issue here.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have attached replacement for vfs_ixnas for 13.0-U1 to this post. This supersedes the previous replacement and addresses an issue some users reported with being unable to alter permissions via SMB protocol.

Steps to apply:
1. Stop SMB service
3. Extract attached zip
5. Start SMB service

Steps to revert:
1. Stop SMB service
3. Start SMB service

SHA256 (ixnas.so) = 67322fd74a01c04f3646ed675b42b02d52143cb8301adaa3f440a11c35f319ca
^^^ New version
^^^ Original version

We should have a hotfix release pretty soon. Timing is tight because there's an upcoming samba security release regarding the file server.
If you encounter any issues with the attached file / encounter any new or unexpected issues please send me a PM.

Alternative google drive download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NAiYGNGpdj2ndXRYKaRZ3xvaUUyP8Dav/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• ixnas.so.zip
    20.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

vlj

Dabbler
I have attached replacement for vfs_ixnas for 13.0-U1 to this post. This supersedes the previous replacement and addresses an issue some users reported with being unable to alter permissions via SMB protocol.

Steps to apply:
1. Stop SMB service
3. Extract attached zip
5. Start SMB service

Steps to revert:
1. Stop SMB service
3. Start SMB service

SHA256 (ixnas.so) = 67322fd74a01c04f3646ed675b42b02d52143cb8301adaa3f440a11c35f319ca
^^^ New version
^^^ Original version

We should have a hotfix release pretty soon. Timing is tight because there's an upcoming samba security release regarding the file server.
If you encounter any issues with the attached file / encounter any new or unexpected issues please send me a PM.

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

This message is showing up when I try to download it

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

This message is showing up when I try to download it
Attached a download link for google drive. Do note that this is for people who want to validate the hotfix before we push it out. If you're affected rolling back to previous version of TrueNAS and waiting for upcoming release is also an option.

georgelza

Patron
At iX we have a very large installed based of production customer running critical workloads for their organizations. These are complex systems where downtime and troubleshooting efforts are very expensive.

TrueNAS 13.0 is Released..... we assess that the probability of losing data is extremely low.
However, we don't claim that there will not be minor issues/bugs. These are still being worked through with each update.
As such, we warn those "production" users (and anyone that is risk adverse). Those customers should stay on 12.0-U8.1

There's a general overview on the lifecycle here: https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/corereleasenotes/#software-lifecycle
... ye, but you now have the U1 and still saying no production...

so when does it go production, or is it simply expected we apply the patch/update and accept if things goes wrong as you said not production.

not everyone can simply have a 100% backup of their system... is U1 ready to be applied... aka select and apply without jumping through 10 work arounds.

G

Reactions: vlj

Etorix

Wizard
not everyone can simply have a 100% backup of their system...
In such case, take the most conservative approach and do NOT upgrade before at least U2 or U3 has been out long enough without reported issue. Never jump on RELEASE or U1.

georgelza

Patron
... what I;'ve been doing so far... figured the U0 was problematic so waited for U1... but at this stage, looking at this thread I'm going to wait for U2.

G

danb35

Hall of Famer
Never jump on RELEASE or U1.
...or U2 or U3, for that matter. Always give some time for bugs to show up--how much time depends on the importance of the data on the system in question. iX seem to have a real problem with determining when their software is release-ready.

vlj

Dabbler
...or U2 or U3, for that matter. Always give some time for bugs to show up--how much time depends on the importance of the data on the system in question. iX seem to have a real problem with determining when their software is release-ready.
This versioning thing is really misleading. Same version offered to production use here is the same treated as "for enthusiasts only " in forum. We tend to believe anything beyond "release" has all basic stuff well tested. But in the end, it was good for me after all. Learned new commands and stuff and got some new ideas to implement. IX guys and community were great at promptly helping everyone out. Thank you all :)

IX staff have also been super responsive on the matter which we do not and SHOULD not expect on the forums but truly appreciate. Official method to report and track bugs in through Jira.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems

Agreed, that it is a function of the importance of the data .. and any application that depends on access to that data.

That variability also explains why there is difficulty "determining when software is release ready." At RELEASE, we are comfortable that data loss is very unlikely and commit that future updates will be low impact.

However, for updating an individual system, it's really a question of determining probability of hitting a significant bug that causes issues with access or operations. How complex and sensitive is that system? That risk is weighed against the potential performance and functionality advantages.

At the time of pushing a new version... we know the general software quality, but we don't specifically know which bugs were missed. We rely on community reports to find the remaining bugs. We are looking for a more improved "real-time status" of software updates. Something like the table below would take into account community feedback. Is this an improvement?

Ei11y5ll5LeWdhnpI6xpvfOyjEniakGNqN9fSWSrqbAZ--EhoGJiHyAFcsfakmRdxsqcE-9L6-LZ09j4LqW1lGCFzRyiqGSNjTUJ4uCNkMtVTMYNVIVt1WsTiurtlg-3rZ_Zv5bWv7l544qNJQK1ew

An "Enterprise" user is typically running an HA system with a goal of five nines availability. The system is typically both more complex and more important.

TrueNAS 13.0 U1 (& U1.1) is intended for early adopters. U2 is intended for more general users, but not conservative users or mission critical applications.