TrueNAS 13.0-U1 is Now Available

eturgeon

Super Moderator
iXsystems

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I had an uneventful upgrade from 13.0-RELEASE, except I had to adjust my LOADER tunable for FUSE from fuse_load="YES" to fusefs_load="YES".

Volts

Patron
My install/sidegrade also went well. No problems. Thanks!

... I had to adjust my LOADER tunable for FUSE from fuse_load="YES" to fusefs_load="YES".
Are you sure? The fuse.ko -> fusefs.ko symlink was removed a while ago. I don't see it in 13.0-RELEASE. That's odd.

Scharbag

Guru
Yeah - 13.0-U1 from 12.3-U8 went fine - except for my inception system having the "doorbell-handshake" failure. Backed off the server from 96GB of RAM - which has been stable as all hell - to 64GB of ram and rebooted my host. Seems to be working fine again.

Was even able to update a couple jails to 13.1.

Great work on the updates Trueness Team!!!

j.lanham

Explorer
I upgraded mine to 13.0-u1 from 12.0-U8.1 and everything seemed to be fine after the upgrade. When I got in this morning none of the shares were accessible from normal users. IT could access it, but the smb authorities didn't seem to work. Checked one of the files through windows for one of the files in the share and the authorities were showing with GUID, not domain user/group. Did the new version of SMB change anything? I had to revert back to 12.0-U8.1 to get access back.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I upgraded mine to 13.0-u1 from 12.0-U8.1 and everything seemed to be fine after the upgrade. When I got in this morning none of the shares were accessible from normal users. IT could access it, but the smb authorities didn't seem to work. Checked one of the files through windows for one of the files in the share and the authorities were showing with GUID, not domain user/group. Did the new version of SMB change anything? I had to revert back to 12.0-U8.1 to get access back.
SIDs not resolving to names is typically an AD connection issue. Hard to say what happened without seeing logs from that time.

j.lanham

Explorer
SIDs not resolving to names is typically an AD connection issue. Hard to say what happened without seeing logs from that time.
Active directory was showing healthy. All of the folders were showing user not GUID. When I reverted everything worked normally again. What logs do you need to see? log.smbd? messages?

I still have log entries from when it was running 13.0-u1 for log.smbd. I probably don't for messages after the reboot.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Active directory was showing healthy. All of the folders were showing user not GUID. When I reverted everything worked normally again. What logs do you need to see? log.smbd? messages?

I still have log entries from when it was running 13.0-u1 for log.smbd. I probably don't for messages after the reboot.
SID to name resolution failures are purview of winbindd. There are edge cases where we can show healthy (have stable connection to DC) even if idmapping is semi-broken (still have some cache, but new lookups fail). middlewared log and winbindd logs are particularly relevant here, but looking through them after a rollback may be somewhat complicated. In general if you encounter an issue post-upgrade it's best to generate a debug before rolling back, that way we have the maximum amount of collateral to fix issues.

j.lanham

Explorer
SID to name resolution failures are purview of winbindd. There are edge cases where we can show healthy (have stable connection to DC) even if idmapping is semi-broken (still have some cache, but new lookups fail). middlewared log and winbindd logs are particularly relevant here, but looking through them after a rollback may be somewhat complicated. In general if you encounter an issue post-upgrade it's best to generate a debug before rolling back, that way we have the maximum amount of collateral to fix issues.
Okay, I'll try a roll forward do some testing and generate debug logs and then roll back.

indy

Patron
I updated from 13.0-RELEASE to 13.0-U1 and can not access my SMB shares anymore either.
It's a simple home setup without Active Directory.

13u1-error.png

chruk

Dabbler
SMB reports scare me as I use SMB, if it breaks how easy is to downgrade? I noticed there is a boot menu which seems to be a like a multi boot system?

indy

Patron
Changing the ownership from root/wheel to a different user/group made the shares accessible again.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
SMB reports scare me as I use SMB, if it breaks how easy is to downgrade? I noticed there is a boot menu which seems to be a like a multi boot system?
Yes, you just activate the boot environment from before the upgrade and reboot. So far SMB reports are inconclusive (mostly because users are unfortunately making changes before investigating what caused the issue or filing a report). There is an issue affecting shadow copies with nested datasets due to a bug in fget_zhandle() (unfortunately very old bug in cflags handling in the build system for the ZFS vfs module got exposed). I haven't seen an example yet of broken permissions on upgrade.

If anyone has an issue on upgrade please preserve logs / generate a debug before taking troubleshooting steps. Otherwise it becomes harder to pin down edge cases that users hit.

kspare

Guru
updated to U1 and you can replace hard drives again!

ThreeDee

Guru
Upgrade went without a hitch .. everything still working as it should :cool:

Macaroni323

Explorer
Upgrade from 12.0 U8.1 to 13.0 U1 went fine. Wondering why 13.0 U1 release says "TrueNAS-13.0-STABLE - Community Release Only - Not Enterprise Supported"? Should I have installed from the ISO vs using the GUI and changing trains to 13? Should I re-install from manual update? Thought maybe the release would be labeled as released.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Wondering why 13.0 U1 release says "TrueNAS-13.0-STABLE - Community Release Only - Not Enterprise Supported"?

This is for the benefit of TrueNAS Enterprise users. They're recommended to wait until 13.0-U2 or higher to upgrade. Enthusiasts and hobbyists with less critical storage needs are welcome to upgrade their TrueNAS Core systems as beta testers.

Volts

Patron
Small things I'm noticing -

Disable Hardware Networking appears to be applied immediately, before TEST CHANGES is performed.

Interface MTU values (such as 1499) don't appear to be applied.