TrueNAS 13.0-U4 is Now Available

airflow

Contributor
Currently installing the new update.

While I'm waiting, I use the time to quickly bring up a topic which already bothers me a long time with the update process of TrueNAS. Why is not possible to download and install the update, but *not* activate it immediately by rebooting right after? To my mind, that's really strange and I'm wondering why everybody accepts this. Especially for productive/work environments, where you want to keep maintenance-windows as short as possible, I'd like to reboot at a specific, planned time. And not have to wait for reboot until the quite long installation process is finished.

Summary: Currently, besides downloading, there's just the option to install and activate in one go. I'd like the possibility to install. And activate (reboot) at some later time, when I'm ready for it. Thoughts?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Currently installing the new update.

While I'm waiting, I use the time to quickly bring up a topic which already bothers me a long time with the update process of TrueNAS. Why is not possible to download and install the update, but *not* activate it immediately by rebooting right after? To my mind, that's really strange and I'm wondering why everybody accepts this. Especially for productive/work environments, where you want to keep maintenance-windows as short as possible, I'd like to reboot at a specific, planned time. And not have to wait for reboot until the quite long installation process is finished.

Summary: Currently, besides downloading, there's just the option to install and activate in one go. I'd like the possibility to install. And activate (reboot) at some later time, when I'm ready for it. Thoughts?
There's already an option to just download, with installation and reboot at a later date. Installation without a corresponding reboot isn't technically possible, due to the architecture of TrueNAS being tied to a SQL configuration database. You would end up operating on the old version with the new version's tables.

airflow

Contributor
There's already an option to just download, with installation and reboot at a later date. Installation without a corresponding reboot isn't technically possible, due to the architecture of TrueNAS being tied to a SQL configuration database. You would end up operating on the old version with the new version's tables.
Isn't the conversion of old db to new db done when the new version boots for the first time? If so, I don't see any problem in executing the reboot at some later time. And even it wasn't the case, it would be easy to provide an option to postpone the necessary reboot for as long as until the admin decides to do it - just with perhaps a "freezed" config until then.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Isn't the conversion of old db to new db done when the new version boots for the first time? If so, I don't see any problem in executing the reboot at some later time. And even it wasn't the case, it would be easy to provide an option to postpone the necessary reboot for as long as until the admin decides to do it - just with perhaps a "freezed" config until then.

Each upgrade is actually 2 boots. The first boot snapshots the old version as a boot environment for rollback, installs updated files, and then applies the DB changes to a quiesced DB. The 2nd boot boots into the new environment.

As the TrueNAS devs have imagined it, at upgrade, you would 1) download, 2) reboot into the upgrade, and then 3) reboot into the new version. There can be a pause before step 1, or between steps 1 and 2, but not between steps 2 and 3.

gwpotter

Dabbler
Quick and easy update from 13.0-U3.1 on my Test System, as expected!
Ill put it through its paces then anticipate updating my other 3 systems this weekend

ThreeDee

Guru
Update went without a hitch!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It turned bad again :-(

apologize for raising this too early.
I cannot modify/ delete my post.

Can you confirm... that you now have the same issue with 13.0-U3.1???

Perhaps start a new thread with status

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Here is an illustration of what happens with the zfs arc in u4, is this expected behavior or should I file a bug report (the gap is the reboot for the upgrade):
WSCb89JAaja8.png

you can also see that though there is no memory pressure the arc target drops during periods of light activity:
oIwAbdE4dvT2.png

Thanks... can you start a new thread with more info.
Is it causing performance issues?
Does the behaviour maintain?
Ask if anyone else has seen the issue.

As far back as TrueNAS Core 13.0-RELEASE, all the way through U3.1, and now with U4, I have never seen this behavior unless I reboot the server. Once my ARC fills up, it essentially stays at its highest amount, more or less.

I don't run any VMs. I usually have 3 to 4 jails running at once.

dak180

Patron
Thanks... can you start a new thread with more info.
Is it causing performance issues?
Does the behaviour maintain?
  • New thread
  • Not that I have noticed (yet anyway) but it may be masked by the optane l2arc
  • Yes, every time the system gets quiet the arc target and therefor the arc itself shrinks

Penobscot

Dabbler
Upgrade didn't go well initially on our Dell R720. Following iDRAC alerts I ended up having to power the machine off. Power on went OK. Following is from TrueNAS.

Current alerts:
* Critical Interrupt PCIE Fatal Err Asserted Bus Fatal Error ( PCI bus:01
device:00 function:0).

* Critical Interrupt PCIE Fatal Err Asserted Bus Fatal Error ( PCI bus:00
device:01 function:1).

* Processor CPU Machine Chk Asserted Transition to Non-recoverable.

* Processor #0x09 Asserted IERR (CPU 1 | APIC ID 0 ).

gwpotter

Dabbler
Four systems updated No Issues!
Updated all four of my truenas instances and have not seen any issues related to the upgrade from U3.1 to U4. I did have a permissions reorder issue with Mac OSX files on our smb shares. That was already happening on U3.1 and was quickly remedied by changing the storage ACL mode from pass-through to restricted.

HarambeLives

Contributor
Well maybe I'm special, updated on my second machine and now no disks!

GW2

Dabbler
I've got 2 TrueNas Core 13.0-U3.1 servers, one physical one virtual, both worked okay when upgraded but now both just sit "Root mount waiting for: da da". They did work after the upgrade, but wont boot anymore since. I thought it may have been a drive failure but new OS drive and same issue on both server. I have not tried going back to U3.1 yet but will report on that shortly. If there is any more info you need please let me know.

GW2

Dabbler
I've got 2 TrueNas Core 13.0-U3.1 servers, one physical one virtual, both worked okay when upgraded but now both just sit "Root mount waiting for: da da". They did work after the upgrade, but wont boot anymore since. I thought it may have been a drive failure but new OS drive and same issue on both server. I have not tried going back to U3.1 yet but will report on that shortly. If there is any more info you need please let me know.
I don't think it's U4 related, as U3.1 doesn't fix it. Not sure why came out of nowhere suddenly. Will start my own thread

HarambeLives

Contributor
I don't think it's U4 related, as U3.1 doesn't fix it. Not sure why came out of nowhere suddenly. Will start my own thread

For the record, I had issues where going back to U3.1 didn't fix them, but a re-install of 3.1 completely fixed all issues. I'm sticking on 3.1 for now. Not related to booting, but the fact all my disks became missing

olddog9

Dabbler
Upgraded to U4 about a week ago. Flawless, as it should be. Running error free.

Thank you for your support !

GW2

Dabbler
For the record, I had issues where going back to U3.1 didn't fix them, but a re-install of 3.1 completely fixed all issues. I'm sticking on 3.1 for now. Not related to booting, but the fact all my disks became missing
Yup, going back did not fix but installing a new VHD fixed it. Going to stick with U3.1 for now as well. it's just a home server, so not really to important to be 100% up to date, why do I create problems for myself haha

Spunky17

Cadet
Anyone else having issues with Plugins? My Nextcloud plugin quit working completely after upgrading to TrueNAS-13.0-U4, network stack is completely dead. Starts up just fine but has no connectivity outside of it's jail. Can't update the jail to match TrueNAS at 13-1-RELEASE-p7 cause it fails every time saying it can't validate the SRV record.

Testing Host DNS response to pkg.FreeBSD.org
Testing nextcloud's SRV response to pkg.FreeBSD.org
pkg.FreeBSD.org's SRV record could not be verified.

Testing nextcloud's DNSSEC response to pkg.FreeBSD.org
pkg.FreeBSD.org could not be reached via DNSSEC.

Spunky17

Cadet
okay, something i definately going on. i created a new jail to test with and it has the same issue, no network connectivity. starts up without issue or error, attaches to vnet0.14 but will not pass traffic.