Threadripper / Ryzen CPU temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waco

Explorer
I searched (and perhaps poorly) but didn't find anything on this. My current build (Haswell Xeon) shows CPU temps without issue. My upgrade (Threadripper 1950X) build doesn't show any CPU temperatures at all.

Running 11.1 update 6. I tried looking through release notes but they don't mention Ryzen/Threadripper and temperature sensors together anywhere. Is something not working properly or is this expected?

Thanks!

Arwen

MVP
You might also ask in the FreeBSD forums. They may be able to point to the specific kernel when that support is / will be added.
That would help then to find the same for FreeNAS, (though the FreeNAS developers sometimes cherry pick FreeBSD fixes / features...)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I searched (and perhaps poorly) but didn't find anything on this. My current build (Haswell Xeon) shows CPU temps without issue. My upgrade (Threadripper 1950X) build doesn't show any CPU temperatures at all.

Running 11.1 update 6. I tried looking through release notes but they don't mention Ryzen/Threadripper and temperature sensors together anywhere. Is something not working properly or is this expected?

Thanks!
Is there some special reason why you want to use a processor like that with FreeNAS? It is not in our recommended hardware list because it is too new and not fully supported yet. That is why some features are not working properly, the temperature sensor is just one. Others have tried, not many.

Waco

Explorer
Perhaps I'm too used to things like this "just working" especially given that I've had very few issues deploying Epyc servers.
I figured after a little over a year (and recent updates) that things like this would have been rolled in. I'd rather not dig in under the hood to fix it, is there an ETA on such an addition?
EDIT: It appears it comes in FreeBSD 11.2. I'm hesitant to hop on that train given that it's not marked stable yet.

It's not the end of the world (everything else works fine, including ECC correction) so I'm not terribly concerned, I was just surprised. My cooling is more than adequate and my motherboard has overtemp shutdown settings.

As for why? The wife won the Intel 8086K contest, then swapped it for a Threadripper via the corresponding AMD contest. Going from 4 cores to 16 cores and doubling memory bandwidth should be pretty advantageous for 4K transcoding. :)

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
As for why? The wife won the Intel 8086K contest, then swapped it for a Threadripper via the corresponding AMD contest. Going from 4 cores to 16 cores and doubling memory bandwidth should be pretty advantageous for 4K transcoding.
Awesome winning something like that. Have you done any transcoding with it? What kind of CPU utilization are you seeing?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. Other people have tried using the FreeNAS virtualization with these new AMD chips and had some trouble with it. I don't recall the details, but if you are not doing any of the bhyve virtualization, you probably won't have any of those troubles.
Perhaps I'm too used to things like this "just working" especially given that I've had very few issues deploying Epyc servers.
What operating system are you using with those?

Waco

Explorer
Linux for all the Epyc servers. RHEL7 for the most part. I'll probably have OpenZFS running on at least a few of them in the next few weeks, they're pretty ideal for IO servers.

No plans for immediate virtualization, haven't transitioned the NAS yet so no transcoding tests. I expect good things though. :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Linux for all the Epyc servers. RHEL7 for the most part. I'll probably have OpenZFS running on at least a few of them in the next few weeks, they're pretty ideal for IO servers.
We have not bought any of the Epyc servers where I work. They tend to be cautious about early adoption here. The new servers we bought this year are Xeon based. I am hopeful that we will get something Epyc in the next year.
No plans for immediate virtualization, haven't transitioned the NAS yet so no transcoding tests. I expect good things though. :)
Please start a build thread and keep us updated. The more information the better.

Waco

Explorer
Will do! I work in HPC so we're pretty bullish about adopting new interesting hardware. So far I'm very impressed.

Waco

Explorer
So I ended up with a different motherboard, the ASRock board I had didn't play nice with the LSI SAS cards I'm using. Hard locks of the PCIe bus, so much fun troubleshooting.

Now I have a Gigabyte Designare and it booted without drama the first time. ECC enabled without a hitch. 65 GB/s DRAM bandwidth from stream. No temperature sensors still, but the board has enough built-in that I'm not worried about it. Transcoding performance is phenomenal for 4K 70-100 Mbps content into 4K 65 Mbps. CPU usage hovers around 500% per 4K stream that's being transcoded, I was able to run 3 at a time without issue! Prior to the upgrade even a single stream would sometimes pause to buffer occasionally. :)

inis

Dabbler
I'm running a ryzen 7 2700, same here no temp sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.