SOLVED ASRock Rack C2750D4I :: CPU temperature issue

brando56894

Wizard
Very interresting. Which kind of fan are you using (speed) ?
The temps you gave, is it idle or working on normal load ?
On NewEgg: MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Cooling Fan 2500 RPM 35 CFM

That's under a pretty good load: 4 KVMs (I'm actually using ZFS on Linux until FreeNAS 10 comes out), 1 is a webserver, 1 has all of my Usenet services, 1 is for Puppet Enterprise and 1 is for Plex Media Server.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Interesting. Can you tell me more about it ?
Which way (push or pull) ?
What cpu temps are you getting ?

I'm running the NF-A6x25 FLX at 1500rpm in a push configuration. CPU temperature is two to three °C above ambient room temperature under low CPU load (systematic deviation between CPU sensor and my cheap indoor thermometer not taken into account) and about 10°C more under very heavy CPU load (prime95).

Out of interest: What are the physical dimensions of the heatsink of the C2750D4I? On a Supermicro A1SAi-2750F a 60x60x25mm fan fits perfectly as its heatsink has nearly the same base area.

Marcet

Contributor
On NewEgg: MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Cooling Fan 2500 RPM 35 CFM

That's under a pretty good load: 4 KVMs (I'm actually using ZFS on Linux until FreeNAS 10 comes out), 1 is a webserver, 1 has all of my Usenet services, 1 is for Puppet Enterprise and 1 is for Plex Media Server.
I already tried such configuration, but I was only able to achieve 53°C idle.
You're having 48°C with working cpu.

Have you checked the temps during startup with the IPMI Interface ?

Marcet

Contributor
I'm running the NF-A6x25 FLX at 1500rpm in a push configuration. CPU temperature is two to three °C above ambient room temperature under low CPU load (systematic deviation between CPU sensor and my cheap indoor thermometer not taken into account) and about 10°C more under very heavy CPU load (prime95).
I've ordered the fan on Amazon, will give a try this evening.

But, I believe the passive cooler of your Supermicro card is way more effective than my Asrock.
I start to regret my buying.

Out of interest: What are the physical dimensions of the heatsink of the C2750D4I? On a Supermicro A1SAi-2750F a 60x60x25mm fan fits perfectly as its heatsink has nearly the same base area.
It's 50x80 mm.

brando56894

Wizard
I already tried such configuration, but I was only able to achieve 53°C idle.
You're having 48°C with working cpu.

Have you checked the temps during startup with the IPMI Interface ?

I didn't use the IPMI for those readings, I used the lmsensors kernel module. I just checked the IPMI and it says 47C. My case is a Silverstone DS380.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Marcet

Contributor
I didn't use the IPMI for those readings, I used the lmsensors kernel module. I just checked the IPMI and it says 47C. My case is a Silverstone DS380.
Thanks.

brando56894

Wizard
They were around 150F last night under a very heavy load.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Marcet

Contributor

Dall

Dabbler
I'm pretty much idle right now (running a single 1080p plex stream - transcoding video, and with an idle VM running on one core).

According to sensors (coretemp-isa-0000), the 8 core temps at 72-76c and (nct6776-isa-0290) CPUTIN 68.5c. IPMI reports Cpu Temp is 71c.

This is without a fan on the heatsink. Next week I'll be back home and can tinker.

Marcet

Contributor
I'm pretty much idle right now (running a single 1080p plex stream - transcoding video, and with an idle VM running on one core).

According to sensors (coretemp-isa-0000), the 8 core temps at 72-76c and (nct6776-isa-0290) CPUTIN 68.5c. IPMI reports Cpu Temp is 71c.

This is without a fan on the heatsink. Next week I'll be back home and can tinker.
Check your temps at boot time with IPMI. When I do that without any fan blowing to the cpu, I reach the Upper Non-Recoverable.

Dall

Dabbler
Bought the NF-A6x25 FLX and some heat resistant double sided tape. Going to do some surgery tomorrow and report back!

brando56894

Wizard
That's 65°C which is about the temps I get when it's working.

The 1 minute load was about 6.5, the 15 minute load was about the same, that's a lot of heat for a small fan and cheap heatsink to dissipate. I would like to use a closed loop liquid cooler on it but there definitely wouldn't be room in my case for everything, I'd be lucky if I could fit the water block on there hahaha

Marcet

Contributor
Testing this fan was 79°C painful experience.
I'm going back to 2x80mm mounted on my DIY fan holder.

I start to think I will use this motherboard as a backup server and change for better for the main NAS.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Testing this fan was 79°C painful experience.
I'm going back to 2x80mm mounted on my DIY fan holder.

Sorry for recommending the NF-A6x25 FLX to you. Don't know what's going on here. Hey, it's an Avoton designed for low power applications and should be really easy to keep cool. The CPU in the FreeNAS Mini is cooled passively AFAIK.

Remember my first posting in this thread where I suspected a heat transfer problem between CPU and heatsink? O.k., heat transfer on Asrock Avoton boards might be worse than on Supermicro Avoton boards but that bad as seen on yours? Might/could be a manufacturing flaw. I don't have another explanation.

Marcet

Contributor

Marcet

Contributor
Sorry for recommending the NF-A6x25 FLX to you. Don't know what's going on here. Hey, it's an Avoton designed for low power applications and should be really easy to keep cool. The CPU in the FreeNAS Mini is cooled passively AFAIK.
No problem. I would have test this solution anyway.

Remember my first posting in this thread where I suspected a heat transfer problem between CPU and heatsink? O.k., heat transfer on Asrock Avoton boards might be worse than on Supermicro Avoton boards but that bad as seen on yours? Might/could be a manufacturing flaw. I don't have another explanation.
Poor conductivity glue paste ? Might be a clue.
The problem is removing the heatsink to change this. I don't want to break anything.

Marcet

Contributor
Here is my last setup :

On the cpu heatsink, I use two 3300 rpm 8mm fans.
The 12mm fan is pushing fresh air inside the case and the noctua 8mm is pulling air out of the case.

With this setting, I can achieve the lowest idle temp I've ever observed :

sysctl -a gives the following result :
Code:
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 50.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 50.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 50.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 50.0C
dev.cpu.4.temperature: 48.0C
dev.cpu.5.temperature: 48.0C
dev.cpu.6.temperature: 49.0C
dev.cpu.7.temperature: 49.0C

This is pretty good.
I'll try that tomorrow under heavy load.

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
Those temps still seem absurdly high for idle. With my A1SAi-2750F my idle temps are roughly 25C on each core (granted I have my FreeNAS box in the basement where it is roughly 65F ambient but I digress). The case I am using http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/tower/721/SC721TQ-250B.cfm only has one 120mm fan exhausting and one 80mm front intake too. I would recommend you contact Asrock about this because your idle temps seem extremely high. Maybe ask them if they use regular non-conductive TIM between the CPU die and Heatsink. If that is the case maybe you could take off the heatsink and apply a good TIM and see if your temps are lower.

Marcet

Contributor
Those temps still seem absurdly high for idle. With my A1SAi-2750F my idle temps are roughly 25C on each core (granted I have my FreeNAS box in the basement where it is roughly 65F ambient but I digress). The case I am using http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/tower/721/SC721TQ-250B.cfm only has one 120mm fan exhausting and one 80mm front intake too. I would recommend you contact Asrock about this because your idle temps seem extremely high. Maybe ask them if they use regular non-conductive TIM between the CPU die and Heatsink. If that is the case maybe you could take off the heatsink and apply a good TIM and see if your temps are lower.
I'll see what AsRock has to say about it.

This morning, the temps are a little better at idle :
Code:
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 46.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 46.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 47.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 48.0C
dev.cpu.4.temperature: 46.0C
dev.cpu.5.temperature: 46.0C
dev.cpu.6.temperature: 47.0C
dev.cpu.7.temperature: 47.0C

Anyway. I will not rely on this motherboard for my main server any longer, even if it stays at raisonnable temp range, it's way too noisy for my home/office.
I will use it as a backup server and find a better solution for the main NAS.

Marcet

Contributor
I've just sent a message to AsRock Support. I'll keep you informed of the situation.