SOLVED ASRock Rack C2750D4I :: CPU temperature issue

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Wanted to add my word of thanks to Ryan and Rich as well.

MakeXYZ is making the shroud, the rest of the stuff is coming from Amazon. I opted for a 92mm Noctua fan, along with shim, grizzly paste, etc. For the time being, a cardboard shroud is doing similar duty with a 120mm fan. Rich's solution is far more professional!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
This shroud, shim, and dedicated CPU upgrade has been eye-opening re: performance. The CPU temperature dropped to almost ambient and only rises to 41*C (below the lowest "smart fan" possible activation trigger) under a 80% processor load. FWIW, my system previously ran at 41*C at low loads.

shroud.jpg

Also noteworthy was just how incredibly nicely intel laps its CPU die heads. After I removed the ASrock paste, I marveled at the mirror finish of the CPU die. I used a 0.3mm shim and the Grizzly paste (very little in both cases).

I wish there were a way to adjust the "smart fan" triggers in the ASrock bios, but no joy, apparently.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Made some further revisions to case. CPU is now at a max. of 36*C under load and 21*C idle. The HDDs are happy around 35*C. The only "Hot" drive is the SATADOM at 40*C. So some minor additional work is planned to address that issue.

Did also verify that the fanless power supply (Platinum Seasonic at 400W) was getting good air flow (used the match method). If I ever get the Corsair Commander Pro programmed, then the PS will provide direct temperature feedback also.

cancel

Cadet
My thanks to rich110 that shared the STL and ryanakata for the imgur pictures.

Long story short:
6 January : plex puts the c2750 at 95C
7 January : found this thread and passed order on 3dhubs.com
8 January : order shipped
10 January : order arrived
IMG_20190110_184449.jpg.JPG

12 January : mounted the cooler: same transcoding, cpu is at 40C.

I am using Node 304 case and the fan used for the CPU is from an ancient Antec power supply fan. Since is not a PWM fan is tied to the Node's 304 3 speed fan controller along with all the others fans. All runs a minimal speed, so that is quiet.

Temperature before mouting at idle was ~37C. After mounting with plex using all 8 cores , ~40C:
before_after-cpu_temp.png

Plex heavy transcoding
plex_transcoding-cpu_temp.png

My system:
IMG_20190112_184646.jpg.JPG

The mount with the cooler:
IMG_20190112_185019.jpg.JPG

The mount on the CPU
IMG_20190112_190412.jpg.JPG

Will survey how it goes and if is needed I will add the copper shim that ryanakata used. For the moment seems that the CPU sits at 24C.

HTH.

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
One of the factors that is keeping me from upgrading to the D-1508-based X10SDV-2C-7TP4F SuperMicro board is the above - SuperMicro presumes in its server designs that the board will feature a shroud with multiple high-static-pressure fans. I don't have a SuperMicro chassis and hence don't have the shroud either.

To make the CPU and the on-board SAS controller happy (the latter reportedly operating at 85*C+!!!) active cooling of both chips seems like a good idea. However, I have yet to come across good solutions for the SAS heat sink as I cannot find any specs for it.

Several threads out there have gone over active solutions from CoolJag and other suppliers for the CPU. Some neat STL experimentation also, with a small slot to keep the Optane stick cool also (which failed, I suspect, due to the wrong fan being used - with tight fins you need a high-static pressure fan)

Anyhow, my Avoton continues to work great, so thanks again!

dvd-boy

Dabbler
Having recieved my replacement C2750D4I from Asrock, I ordered the custom shroud (thanks @rich110 ) via 3DHub, and paired it with a 92mm Noctua. Will report back with how it all goes.