SOLVED ASRock Rack C2750D4I :: CPU temperature issue

Dall

Dabbler
Bought the NF-A6x25 FLX and some heat resistant double sided tape. Going to do some surgery tomorrow and report back!

HUGE difference. I did cable management on the build, and plugged the 3 chassis fans directly to the motherboard. The case fans are clearly running harder because they are now audible. Of course, the big difference was that I mounted the NF-A6x25 directly to the heatsink.

Ambient is around 75c. CPU cores are idling between 29-32c. Perfectly acceptable. Now let's stress test them!

I've got 3-4 plex streams coming to my computer. All of them are transcoding video (a mix of 720p 1080p and SD). Looks like max temp is 42c. So I've literally more than halved my temps.

So everything is good. I'm happy now. My only question is: could I have screwed up the CPU by letting it run for the last 7-10 days without cooling? There was a night of stress testing where it hung out at 90c for 30-45 mins? And the last 7-10 days it's been running anywhere between 55-75c. Should I be worried that I've ruined my new board?

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
So everything is good. I'm happy now. My only question is: could I have screwed up the CPU by letting it run for the last 7-10 days without cooling? There was a night of stress testing where it hung out at 90c for 30-45 mins? And the last 7-10 days it's been running anywhere between 55-75c. Should I be worried that I've ruined my new board?

I would not think so. I am almost 100% sure that any modern CPU will throttle itself down once it reaches TJ Max which is 97C for the C2750 http://ark.intel.com/products/77987/Intel-Atom-Processor-C2750-4M-Cache-2_40-GHz I think you should be fine

P.S. Great job lowering your temps by that much!

Dall

Dabbler
My thought too. I'm just being a little paranoid, this being a new build and all.

Feels good to have such low CPU temps. I can deal with some pretty high ambients now!

Also, my HDD temps don't appear to be appreciably cooler because of the higher fan speeds. My guess is that 99% of the increased CPU thermal performance can be attributed to mounting a fan to the heatsink. I'll go into the BIOS settings and slow down the case fans--I don't expect it to affect CPU temps.

Marcet

Contributor
HUGE difference. I did cable management on the build, and plugged the 3 chassis fans directly to the motherboard. The case fans are clearly running harder because they are now audible. Of course, the big difference was that I mounted the NF-A6x25 directly to the heatsink.

Ambient is around 75c. CPU cores are idling between 29-32c. Perfectly acceptable. Now let's stress test them!
I suppose you missed up with ambient ;)
Anyway, excellent news for the CPU Cores temperatures. I wish I could achieve that.

I've got 3-4 plex streams coming to my computer. All of them are transcoding video (a mix of 720p 1080p and SD). Looks like max temp is 42c. So I've literally more than halved my temps.
Max temp is excellent also. Almost 10°C less than my idle :(

Your CPU is fine. It has at least two level of protection. It can lower the clock speed and even shutdown if it reaches it's 98°C limit.

Marcet

Contributor
Also, my HDD temps don't appear to be appreciably cooler because of the higher fan speeds. My guess is that 99% of the increased CPU thermal performance can be attributed to mounting a fan to the heatsink. I'll go into the BIOS settings and slow down the case fans--I don't expect it to affect CPU temps.

I think you're right.

Another thought : How reliable is the heat resistant double side tape ?
May be you should plan frequent inspection to see if it's a durable solution (my two cents).

Marcet

Contributor
Interesting update...

I've disabled Turbo Mode to see if it changes anything.
But in the mean time, I've compared the BIOS temperatures with the IPMI ones.
An there is a huge difference.

When the IPMI interface is reporting 58°C, the BIOS is telling 40.5°C.

Who's right ????

Dall

Dabbler
I think you're right.

Another thought : How reliable is the heat resistant double side tape ?
May be you should plan frequent inspection to see if it's a durable solution (my two cents).

The tape was pretty tacky and it's not as though the case will be jostled or moved. But I do plan to check on it every few days.

rogerh

Guru
When the IPMI interface is reporting 58°C, the BIOS is telling 40.5°C.

Who's right ????

Assuming the two readings are taken at the same time, that must be either a quite serious bug in one or the other, or some kind of hardware failure. I'd be tempted to ask Asrock, and if they don't say it is a known bug it might be grounds to exchange the board.

Dall

Dabbler
Given the high idle temps you're seeing (despite active air flow) and this bizarre temperature difference, sounds like your board might simply be defective.

Marcet

Contributor
Somebody at AsRock Europe finally answered my mail.
I will send them the two screenshots and we'll see.

Sir_Slappy

Dabbler
If you run the following command from either the FreeNAS shell or through SSH then what would the individual core temps be relative to what the BIOS and IPMI are reporting?
sysctl -a |egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"

Marcet

Contributor
If you run the following command from either the FreeNAS shell or through SSH then what would the individual core temps be relative to what the BIOS and IPMI are reporting?
sysctl -a |egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"
Morning temps :
Code:
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 46.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 46.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 47.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 47.0C
dev.cpu.4.temperature: 44.0C
dev.cpu.5.temperature: 44.0C
dev.cpu.6.temperature: 48.0C
dev.cpu.7.temperature: 48.0C

IPMI is reporting 49°C

Marcet

Contributor
AsRock NL sent me a screen shot of BIOS temps with a fan on the heatsink running at 1500 rpm.
They got MB 47°C and CPU 36°C.

I've made the test in the same conditions (without any attached disks or raid card).
I've got 46°C for the CPU...

Waiting for their answer to that.

Marcet

Contributor
The motherboard will return to AsRock in a few days.
I've just received the RMA.

Dall

Dabbler
Happy to hear you'll be getting this fixed.

My computer is in its new home where ambient is 71F, but I think it's more like 68F on the floor where the server is. Under a light load, I'm idling at a crazy 28C. That little fan has made a big difference.

Marcet

Contributor
Happy to hear you'll be getting this fixed.
It will take up to 3 weeks before I can get back the motherboard.
I'm waiting for a new machine before sending this one.

My computer is in its new home where ambient is 71F, but I think it's more like 68F on the floor where the server is. Under a light load, I'm idling at a crazy 28C. That little fan has made a big difference.
Nice. That's the kind of temps we expect from a modern cpu.

Marcet

Contributor
I shipped the motherboard yesterday as my new server is almost fully operational.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 6P en utilisant Tapatalk

Marcet

Contributor
Just a quick update on this issue.
I should receive a new motherboard anytime soon.

Marcet

Contributor
Brand new motherboard installed.

1x Noctua NF-A8-PWM blowing towards the heatsink :

Code:
MB Temperature  : 40 °C
CPU Temperature : 33 °C 

End of story :)

Did you ever do the touch test? If your CPU was really at 50C during idle the heat sink wouldn't be very pleasant to touch. If it was cool to the touch there could have been two things going on. 1: Bad mount, or 2: a sensor was lying (which looks like that may have been the case).