System wouldnt respond, now won't start on a hard reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oelc

Dabbler
System
MB: ASRock C2550D4I
HDD: Seagate desktop hdd ST4000DM000, 4TB (9 HDDs)
RAM: Crucial CT102464BA160B 8GB (4 pieces) 32GB total 1.600MHz
PSU: Corsair RM550x
USB: Sandisk Cruzer Ultra Fit 32GB'

Problem
System wouldn't respond (no access to/no response from shares and freenas local management website). Forced a hard shutdown by IPMI, normal one didn't work. And then started the system (tried this routine multiple times, with the same results). This is the message i get :
error 20160619.jpg

BIOS is working fine and detecting all memory.

What could this mean/how can I repair this NAS?

joeschmuck

Old Man
What version of FreeNAS are you running an did you do a recent upgrade? Did you list all your hardware? Does your motherboard have a SAS connection or do you have an add-on board? Lastly, post the output of dmesg.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm thinking your boot device has died. Do a clean install to a new one, upload a saved config file, and you're back up and running.

Oelc

Dabbler
I would reseat your cables going to the HDDs which looks like SAS cable as well.
I reseated all the cables, also there's no SAS cable needed the motherboard has 12 sata (300&600) ports standard.

What version of FreeNAS are you running an did you do a recent upgrade? Did you list all your hardware? Does your motherboard have a SAS connection or do you have an add-on board? Lastly, post the output of dmesg.
Running 9.10-stable, online for 2 straight months. Upgrade 2 months ago from 9.3. I listed all the hardware. I can only get into comand line of GNU Grub, which doesn't know the command dmesg.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree with @danb35 , it's likely a corrupt boot device. I'll bet you have the USB 3.0 version of that device. When you replace it, if you can, use a USB 2.0 device, or better yet, shoot for a SSD.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, that'd be totally typical of some flash devices that started experiencing too many errors. They'll switch to read-only mode, which of course breaks the system. The idea is that this will allow you to retrieve data off the unit if possible while preventing more damage from occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.