BUILD Wanted a few opinions on Build before pulling trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

I'm a first time NAS user and my goal is to pull the storage capabilities out of my gaming PC into a more stable 24/7/365 environment. I have done a bit of research into FreeNAS and came up with a build using suggestions and the build logs from others. Wanted to get some second opinions before I pulled the trigger on this.

Usage:
* Plex server for 1-2 users
* BitTorrent
* Remote storage for photos and a redundant storage location for documents (also using off site storage)

Build:
Mobo: ASRock C2550D4I
RAM: Crucial ECC 32GB (4x8GB)
Storage: WD Red 24TB (6x4TB I already have 4) in RAIDZ-1
PSU: Seasonic G 450w
Bootdisk: 2x 16GB Sandisk cruzer fit in parity
Case: Node 304

Will this server be powerful enough for what I would like it to do? Any suggested alternatives?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Might be a bit slow for Plex, the C2750 should be fine, though.

Do keep in mind that RAIDZ1 is rather likely to fail if a drive dies.

Might be a bit slow for Plex, the C2750 should be fine, though.

Do keep in mind that RAIDZ1 is rather likely to fail if a drive dies.

Thank you for your comments.

The problem with the C2750 from ASRock is that its $150 more expensive for 4 more cores. I'll probably get the C2750 if it really is needed for Plex though.

I have read about the down falls of RAIDZ1 but since all real data is remotely backed up and the rest is media, I figured the risk of a corrupted file was worth the extra 4TB of storage.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Thank you for your comments.

The problem with the C2750 from ASRock is that its $150 more expensive for 4 more cores. I'll probably get the C2750 if it really is needed for Plex though.

I have read about the down falls of RAIDZ1 but since all real data is remotely backed up and the rest is media, I figured the risk of a corrupted file was worth the extra 4TB of storage.

In which case you'd be better served saving money and going with one of the commonly recommended Supermicro boards and an Core i3 or Xeon e3 processor. You'll end up with a system that will be substantially more powerful and a bit more future proof. The Avaton boards look attractive but the price is a deal killer.

A micro ATX board won't fit in the 304 but you can find similarly sized and style cases that will work.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I think Jailer has some reasonable points. You really seem like a candidate for a SuperMicro X10 board, and a nice Xeon processor. If you know you'll be at six drives, and that will be sufficient for you, then something like the SuperMicro X10SLM+-F or X10SLL would be good choices.

Granted, this will be a micro-ATX form factor, and you'll have to get a somewhat bigger case.

RobertT

Explorer
I have a very similar setup. See my signature for specs. I run Sab/Couch/Sick and plex.
I was doing some testing with transcoding on my setup.
Comparing mediabrowser to plex.
Single stream to a chromecast.
22:10 to 22:25 is media browser
22:35 to 22:55 is plex
the blue hump at 22:20 is Sab doing something.

The video being transcoded was purposely chosen to have high bitrate. Exact specs are:
Video Resolution 1080p
Duration 2:10:32
Bitrate 27767 kbps
Width 1920
Height 1080
Aspect Ratio 1.78
Container MKV
Video Frame Rate 24p

Attachments

• plex im3 15 min at 2235.png
    plex im3 15 min at 2235.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 224

marbus90

Guru
The C2750 should be a better pick for plex than a Xeon E3 according to Jordan. Seems to be one of the few applications which works better with more threads rather than high singlethreaded speed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The C2750 should be a better pick for plex than a Xeon E3 according to Jordan. Seems to be one of the few applications which works better with more threads rather than high singlethreaded speed.

Depends on several factors. I can max out my Mini before I max out my E3-1230v2. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.