BUILD First build, opinions welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilLeprechaun

Dabbler
This is my first FreeNAS build, and I would really appreciate any and all opinions on this build.

Purpose of the machine:
  1. Primary Windows file storage for two people. The OS will be on a different machine, but my goal is to just mount a drive in Windows and put anything that needs saving in the NAS rather than the desktop boxes.
  2. Cloud backups with the CrashPlan plugin for offsite in-case-of-fire backup.
  3. Video streaming (probably with Plex) for two simultaneous users.
  4. Photo/video repository of the kids (this is what attracted me to NAS/redundant storage in the first place).
  5. Sickbeard/couchpotato for entirely legitimate purposes.
  6. Depending on the performance, I may use it for my Steam game storage, but that's not at all a deal-breaker.
  7. Running a very low-traffic wordpress blog (may get moved to a different machine that will back up to the NAS, again depends on performance).
  8. Maybe running a Minecraft server?

The build:
  • Case: Fractal Node 304
  • RAM: 16GB ECC (Corsair model CT102472BD160B)
  • Motherboard: Either the ASRock C2550D4I or C2750D4I (opinions, please!)
  • Power supply: Corsair 450W ATX 80Plus Gold (CP-9020066-NA)
  • HDDs: 6x?TB in RaidZ2. Probably WD Reds. Probably 1TB drives at first to save on costs (I've never filled up a single TB drive in my life, let alone 4), possibly 2TB drives.
That's what I've got so far. I don't think anything's terribly surprising. I'm very interested to hear how people think it will perform. Specifically, I have two questions:
  1. Should I stick with the C2550 for lower costs or spring for the C2750 -- would I see a decent increase in usability for the extra $120?
  2. How often do people use hot-swap bays or wish they had them? I was debating the DS380B because of all the shiny hot-swap bays, but it's over twice as much as the Node 304 (and it would require a different power supply)
I'd love to hear how more experienced FreeNAS folks think this build would turn out. Am I getting way too much machine for what I want to do? Not nearly enough? Honestly, neither answer would surprise me. Thanks for any and all opinions!

sremick

Patron
The Node 304 is really nice. The 450W is fine but probably overkill. I have a much-more demanding CPU, a 400W power supply, and it draws 40W idle and only gets to 110-120W if I artificially stress it to 100%.

Not sure if those Atom CPUs will keep up with everything you're thinking of throwing at it. 2-3 Plex transcode streams might be the max, let alone asking it to do anything else (Minecraft, CrashPlan, WordPress, Steam, etc). I considered them but opted to risk having too much CPU vs. too little.

EvilLeprechaun

Dabbler
The C2750D4I is (I think) the board in the FreeNAS mini, which people have reported can transcode to three devices at once, so I figure that will do fine for streaming. Are the other activities (web server, backups, steam library) enough to max out the rest of the CPU? I don't know how intensive those tasks are.

Good note about the PSU, I was expecting much more power draw than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.