BUILD New build, looking for opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hertzsae

Contributor
I'm putting together a build and trying to do it all at my local MicroCenter (Twin Cities/St. Louis Park), so that any problems can be resolved without shipping. My main goals are file sharing and 5+ simultaneous Plex streams.

Case - Nanoxia DeepSilence 4 uATX
Mobo - Supermicro X10SLM-F
CPU - Intel E3-1240v3
Mem - Crucial Server Memory (ECC) 16GB kit 2x8GB
HDD - 4x HGST DeskStar 4TB 7200 RPM NAS - probably adding 2x in the future, running in RAIDZ2
PSU - Was thinking about Corsair CS Series CS550M which is Gold+. Seasonic is not available at MicroCenter

Any shortfalls? Opinions on PSU choice?

My current build is almost 5 years old mini-ITX build using 1.5TB Seagates in a CHENBRO ES34069. It does not have enough power to run plex locally and is getting full. I hate that my new build will be bigger (apartment), but I think the tradeoff is worth it for cooling considering the extra work I plan to have it do.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Clarify the CPU.. E3-1240v2 or E3-1240v3. Only one of those will work in that motherboard. As long as you plan to get the right one all is fine.

The hard drives are going to make more heat than 5400RPM drives, so you're going to need more power and more cooling. I'm doubtful that the fans in that chassis will be able to keep 7200RPM drives cool.

hertzsae

Contributor
Thank you for noticing my lack of version on the CPU, I've updated above to specify v3 which is compatible with the motherboard. I should have mentioned that I will pay close attention to the cooling and add fans or remove sound deadening material as needed. Are you sure about the PSU not being enough power. The drives max at 30 watts a piece (1.2A, max +5V, 2A @ +12V). That puts 6 drives at 180W. The CPU is under 100. That leaves 270W for the fans, motherboard, and memory. I couldn't find specs on supermicro's site, so maybe someone here knows what I should expect. I just assumed it'd be around 150W and that I'd have at least 100W of headroom.

I really have no need for 7200 RPM, but will only buy HGST and figured since the price was fairly close, that I might as well get the NAS certified drives.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Those drives won't draw 30W continuous. Not even close.

I think you have ample headroom sir. More than ample. You won't even come close to pwn'ing that PSU.

Also, I support MicroCenter. Best brick&mortar retailer on the planet for computer stuff, I think. I am pleased I have one within 30 miles.

When you talk about "adding 2x" in the future, I assume you understand that once you create a vdev with four devices, you're not going to be able to add two more devices to increase capacity...unless you create a second vdev and stripe it in...which you probably don't want to do with 2 drives?

Also, exercise caution with 8GB sticks in that board. Make sure you have some assurance that those will actually work. There have been....questions? problems? off and on with 8GB modules in the X10 series (though this has mostly been with Kingston).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also, if you put reasonable fans throughout the case, I don't expect you're going to have any cooling problems. Keep in mind that the way this board works, having full 4-pin PWM fans (usually a couple bucks more) is to your advantage. Full disclosure: I do not have PWM fans in my X10, and it's fine.

hertzsae

Contributor
Those drives won't draw 30W continuous. Not even close.

I think you have ample headroom sir. More than ample. You won't even come close to pwn'ing that PSU.

Also, I support MicroCenter. Best brick&mortar retailer on the planet for computer stuff, I think. I am pleased I have one within 30 miles.

When you talk about "adding 2x" in the future, I assume you understand that once you create a vdev with four devices, you're not going to be able to add two more devices to increase capacity...unless you create a second vdev and stripe it in...which you probably don't want to do with 2 drives?

Also, exercise caution with 8GB sticks in that board. Make sure you have some assurance that those will actually work. There have been....questions? problems? off and on with 8GB modules in the X10 series (though this has mostly been with Kingston).
I know it won't be 30W continuous, but I do want to account for max power on load.

As for adding two drives, you bring up a good point. I have TB's of space available to me that I can borrow for a short period of time. I should have mentioned that I'll be backing up externally and starting over if/when I upgrade.

I'll also do some research on PWM fans and am not against spending a little extra for anything that makes my build more quiet or reliable.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

hertzsae

Contributor
Thanks much! Going into this build, I didn't imagine spending significant time researching fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.