BUILD My very first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

yegle

Cadet
Hi all,

Bear with me since this is the first time I build a machine ever. I've read the hardware recommendation list and just picked up the ones that looks good to me.

I'd like to build a quiet 4-bay NAS server mainly for backup. Here's my proposed build list:

• Chassis: NODE 304 Black SilverStone DS380
  • MB: ASRock C2750D4I
  • PSU: Seasonic G 450W
  • Memory: Samsung M391B1G73BH0-CK0 8GB*2 per comment
  • Disk: WD Red 4TB*4
Thoughts? Suggestion? I live in US, appreciate if you can give a link for any recommended hardware.

UPDATE:

I'm still not sure about the chassis. NODE 304 Black is 4bay and small, but can't hot swap the hard disk (which I'm not sure if I'll need it)

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You probably don't need 32GB of RAM, especially if it's just for backup. 16 ought to be fine for most uses. Are you planning on RAIDZ2 then?

yegle

Cadet
You probably don't need 32GB of RAM, especially if it's just for backup. 16 ought to be fine for most uses. Are you planning on RAIDZ2 then?

I was thinking about RAIDZ as I only want to prepare for 1 disk failure. Is there anything I should know to choose between RAIDZ/RAIDZ2?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, the instant a disk fails, you lose redundancy. That means that ANY read errors you encounter while recovering that disk become data loss.

Also, do you plan to have a spare disk handy? If not, then how long will it take you to acquire that replacement? WD Red 4's are not available at Best Buy. So are you going to need to wait a few days for a drive to get shipped to you? What's your tolerance for data loss?

Cyberjock likes to post this link about RAID5 being dead. While not-quite-true, since there's some false assumptions in there, the overall point is valid.

Lastly, if this is actually your first time building a machine, I will note that this is not horribly difficult, but you should definitely go watch some system building videos on YouTube before deciding to tackle this.

yegle

Cadet
Well, the instant a disk fails, you lose redundancy. That means that ANY read errors you encounter while recovering that disk become data loss.

Also, do you plan to have a spare disk handy? If not, then how long will it take you to acquire that replacement? WD Red 4's are not available at Best Buy. So are you going to need to wait a few days for a drive to get shipped to you? What's your tolerance for data loss?

Cyberjock likes to post this link about RAID5 being dead. While not-quite-true, since there's some false assumptions in there, the overall point is valid.

Lastly, if this is actually your first time building a machine, I will note that this is not horribly difficult, but you should definitely go watch some system building videos on YouTube before deciding to tackle this.

You are right, RAIDZ2 would be better as I'm using NAS to do backup. I don't care about availability, so if there's disk failure I can turn the machine off and wait 1 week for the disk.

I've updated my hardware list, if you have time would you mind take a look? Thank you.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Aside from saying that you don't really need the ability to hot swap for a home user backup machine, no comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.