New home and small office build: Intel Avoton still the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacemarine

Contributor
I built 2 system a while ago and I'm very happy with them so far. They offer a great value for the money, consume very little energy and make very litte noise. Perfect for Home and small office. Now I need to build a 3rd box, which will be used in roughly the same way.

Here are the two previous configurations:

First Box (at home):
6 x Western Digital WD Red 4TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s (WD40EFRX)
1 x Supermicro A1SRi-2558F bulk (MBD-A1SRi-2558F-B)
1 x Fractal Design Node 304 schwarz, Mini-DTX/Mini-ITX (FD-CA-NODE-304-BL)
1 x SanDisk Extreme 16GB, USB 3.0 (SDCZ80-016G-X46)
1 x Sea Sonic G-Series G-360 360W ATX 2.3 (SSR-360GP)
2 x 8 GB ECC Ram, can remember the exact model

Second Box:
4 x Western Digital WD Red 3TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s (WD30EFRX)
2 x Crucial DIMM 8GB, DDR3L-1600, CL11, ECC (CT102472BD160B)
1 x ASRock C2750D4I
1 x SilverStone DS380, Mini-ITX (SST-DS380B)
1 x SilverStone Strider Gold Series 450W SFX12V (SST-ST45SF-G)

The processor is the same one, that is used in the official Freenas Mini (and maybe the Mini XL?)
But since these systems are already on the market for a few years now, I wonder if there is anything new, that would be preferable?

I would probably use an SSD instead of two USB-Disks for boot. Any recommendation for the SSD?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The Xeon D stuff is an attractive higher performance alternative, but, really, if the Avoton stuff has worked well for you, why change?

Exactly, if it's working and the useage will be the same no real need to change. However if you intend to add more users and/or more jails that will change, especially with something like Plex and transcoding. It's all relative and without use case information it's hard to say one way is better than another.

Spacemarine

Contributor
True, I could just buy the same thing again, it would definitely work perfectly right now. But one never knows what the future brings, right? Maybe more users, maybe more bandwidth, maybe more plugins? That's why I'd like to think ahead a little bit, if it doesn't cost too much.

Processor technology seems to have advanced since then, so maybe this board might be a little more powerful at only a small increase in price:
1 x Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F retail (MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O)

Status
Not open for further replies.