Should I upgrade my power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneC1972

Dabbler
Just upgraded my FreeNAS server.

Went from:
Case: Lian Li PC-Q25B
Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C226 DDR3 1600/1333
CPU:1 x Intel Xeon E3-1225v3 CPU 3.20GHz Quad Core SR1KX LGA1150 Processor
Memory:Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
Hard Drive(s):6 x WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Drive: 1 to 8-bay RAID Hard Drive: 3.5-inch SATA 6 Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache WD30EFRX
OS Drive:2xSanDisk Ultra Fit 32Gb USB 3.0 Flash Drives - Mirrored
SATA Controller Card:IO Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Controller Card Marvell Non-Raid SI-PEX40064
Plex Drives: 1 x PNY 120GB (CS1311 SSD); 1 x Sandisk 120GB SSD plus -MIRRORED
Powersupply:Corsair RM Series 450-Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply CP-9020066-NA
Additional NIC: Dell Intel Quad Port Gigabit Ethernet Card YT674 PCIe NIC Server
Battery Backup: CyberPower 1000PFCLCD

To:

Do you think I should upgrade my power supply? If yes...to what?

Judging from this thread. I guess I should go to at least a 750?

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
Somewhere in the 650 to 1k range would be fine.
1k vastly overkill, yet, might give you the overhead you need for adding another vdev to your pool.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Somewhere in the 650 to 1k range would be fine.
1k vastly overkill, yet, might give you the overhead you need for adding another vdev to your pool.
Dude what are you even talking about. He's got 450 watts. With that setup as listed, he's idling at like 65 watts. He could add another vdev without even remotely breaking a sweat.

He's fine.

Dice

Wizard
With that setup as listed, he's idling at like 65 watts
Expected idle power use is a rather weak argument to size PSU.

If it was my own box, I'd not change the 450w at this point, granted it didn't run hot or noisy.
However, my recommendation is based on what a suitable next step upgrade is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're fine, look at my sig, you have a higher tdp CPU but I have 2 extra disks, 6 extra SSDs, the HBA and the 10GbE NIC, my setup idles @ 65w

Dice

Wizard
I think you're fine, look at my sig, you have a higher tdp CPU but I have 2 extra disks, 6 extra SSDs, the HBA and the 10GbE NIC, my setup idles @ 65w
That's an excellent amount of performance to power ratio!

WayneC1972

Dabbler
Thanks for the info. I am new to the X11SSH-LN4f. Where can monitor its power usage?

Dice

Wizard

danb35

Hall of Famer
By getting a "Kill-a-Watt RMS meter"
This is the easiest method. Another possibility is through the IPMI firmware itself; it sometimes gives power consumption information.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do you think I should upgrade my power supply? If yes...to what?
No.

In looking at your system hardware, you made very little change with respect to current draw, you might have even reduced it from the previous setup.

Where can monitor its power usage?
This was too easy of an answer... You got that fancy UPS, just ensure that your FreeNAS is the only thing plugged into it (no monitors, network switches, etc...) and on the front of the case is a button which will allow you to cycle through a few different displays. Look for the kW output. It should be as accurate as a Kill-A-Watt. You should be able to also set the display to remain on constantly, press the display button until you hear a beep. Same thing to turn it off. That is how my Cyberpower 1500VA supply works, I expect yours to be similar.

EDIT: You may be able to use the FreeNAS shell to also read the UPS values via upsc nameofups for example if the name of your ups is "ups" then type in the shell upsc ups and if configured properly you should get a set of values, one of which may be the current draw. I can't say if that data will be there, I use APC for my NAS.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer

Dice

Wizard
Another possibility is through the IPMI firmware itself; it sometimes gives power consumption information.
IIRC this requires the equivalent of SM's PMBus PSU.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Doubtful; my CyberPower unit only read in increments of 9 watts.
Ah Ha, I didn't think about the resolution. You got a point, but it should give the OP a reasonable idea on how much current is being pulled. Now I'm trying to figure out the resolution on my unit.

EDIT: Yup, looks like 9 watts for my Cyberpower unit as well but I couldn't find it in writing, I had to watch it bounce around for a while.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
IIRC this requires the equivalent of SM's PMBus PSU.
Could be; my server is a SuperMicro package unit with their PSUs.
Now I'm trying to figure out the resolution on my unit.
In my case it was simply by observation, and noticing that the display didn't change when I added a small load, but the next value I saw was 9 watts higher. I'm not at all sure that's the resolution across the board, but it's what I saw in the ~200 watt range on my 1500 VA unit.

My APC seems to have much finer resolution, but it only reads in percent of max, which is rather less useful.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I use (as per Cyberjock's recommendation a couple years ago) the Ubiquiti mPower devices. But I believe these are now deprecated.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Doubtful; my CyberPower unit only read in increments of 9 watts.
You made me look, so my CP1000PFCLCD seems to register in increments of 6 watts o_O

WayneC1972

Dabbler
You made me look, so my CP1000PFCLCD seems to register in increments of 6 watts o_O

6 watt increments are correct. Max I have seen on mine since I started watching it, was 54-60 watts at idle. I got it up to 96 while transcoding 3 Plex streams and coping a 5 gig file to FreeNAS. I guess I'm good with the PSU that I have.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's really not too weird. For a cheap 8-bit ADC, you'd get 256 different values. Take some that end up outside the range of interest and you're pretty much in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.