SM X10SLM+ Fake Out Death. I Need Help Troubleshooting

endnot

Dabbler
Tried to log into my FreeNAS today and it would not respond... When I went in to check on it, It appeared powered off. I think it died peaceably as there is no signs of struggle or heat stroke.

I get nothing from it - no lights, beeps, no feedback when the power switch it pressed.
The power supply checks out based on the paperclip shorting test to verify internal fans work.

CMOS battery =3.05 volts no load
Removed drives, memory, and cpu - no change.
tested by shorting reset and power pins. - no change

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them.

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
Are there any LED activity when system in under power. CPU could still be in the OFF state but IPMI should still blink if under power.

endnot

Dabbler
No I thought that there might have been lights on when I first checked but I pulled the case to put it on the bench for better inspection but there are no lights or beeps. If the board is bad, this would be the second failure in ~2 years. Not sure how I might verify the CPU and memory are good without another board. I guess I could purchase a SUPERMICRO X10SAE so that maybe the cpu and memory could be reused.

endnot

Dabbler
I seem to have an intermittent problem. The system is up and running again. Even though the battery tested fine 3.1 volts, I replaced it with one that had 3.02 volts and the LED on the board came on and so did all of the fans. WOO HOO. So I reattached all of the drives, USB cables and everything else, tried to start and NOTHING, no LED, no fans nada... Pull the battery let it sit for 10 minutes and it powered up. I had to connect a keyboard and monitor to get it to fully boot up by pressing the F1 key.
I am pretty sure when I power down, it will not come back again. I am not completely convinced that it is a hardware problem.

Anyone see this type of problem before? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Redcoat

MVP
i'd start with testing the power supply... and/or swapping it out with a known good one for a trial.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'd also verify the boot media - is it good, are there any SMART errors, etc? I use a mirrored boot pool because I'm paranoid.

However, I agree with RedCoat, the PSU is the most likely culprit, followed by a short somewhere shutting it down.