Freenas wouldn't start from USBdrive, reinstall fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarisguy

Guru
Back to the original issue. A simple step. Did you try to zero out the entire USB memory device ("stick" or whatever its form is), before writing to it the FreeNAS image?

In the case of a 32GB device, that means writing 32GB of nulls or zeros (or whatever).

Cygwin under Windows, and dd could be your friends, or dd on any Unix or Linux live image. Just be 110% sure that you are erasing the USB, and not your system disk...

Oelc

Dabbler
I honestly don't see how there could be a difference since it's on the internet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo-blocking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship
Same with Netflix, every country gets a different library. You can bypass this, by proxies or vpn.
What you are proposing is the file shrinks just because I'm out of the country.
No i suggests the file gets resized to a tumbnail format, maybe to protect against bots crawling the site and viewing/save all "interesting" images. Or more likely there're several servers running the database of postimg spread acros the globe, and they only save small thumbnails on every server for fast access/save space, and for some reason the original format does get to you 'in time'.

Oelc

Dabbler
Did you try to zero out the entire USB memory device ("stick" or whatever its form is), before writing to it the FreeNAS image?
To test the USB memory device? Update: testing with H2testw.exe, does the samething, writes all available space and verifies it. Update2: No errors found
If to erase the entire USB drive, isn't a "long" Format enough/the same?
before writing to it the FreeNAS image?
To install freenas to? Or USB carrying the Freenas install iso?

Fyi, I contacted the company i ordered the RAM modules from and am in the proces of send the broken one retour.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
If to erase the entire USB drive, isn't a "long" Format enough/the same?
I would expect it to be basically the same thing.

As for the images, hum... I'm going to need to figure that out if it's on my end. Weird, never seen that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.