SSD for FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Arman

Dabbler
what SSD's are certified to work with FreeNAS? At some point I would like to go all SSD.

You can use any SSD for an all SSD FreeNAS. It is however very expensive still and unless you have a ton of users or applications that need a ton of IOPS etc. it won't have a ton of benefit. You will also likely end up needing 10 Gbit networking or better to take advantage of it.

If it's just for data storage with a couple users or a bunch of media or things of that nature you are better off with regular drives.

As far as "certified" none, I don't believe that iXsystems certifies anything for FreeNAS but there are recommendations. With that said for longevity and stability you tend to get what you pay for. If you want something certified then you need to take a look at a TrueNAS system.

Dice

Wizard
Noise reduction is an incentive to go all SSD.
I'd love to do it some day.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd love to do it some day.
Me too! Someday

what SSD's are certified to work with FreeNAS? At some point I would like to go all SSD.
What do you plan to use this for? If it's a home system then the Samsung 850 EVO drives are very good. If it's for a work thing then I think a high end Intel would be good. Capacity also matters.

Dice

Wizard
But a long Ethernet cable is even more effective and cheaper. :)
haahah

...except a coil of cat5 on the floor won't do any good in a 350sqft apartment.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
But a long Ethernet cable is even more effective and cheaper. :)
And is exactly how and why my server is located on the opposite side of the room. :)

Rick Arman

Dabbler
It would be for a home network (lab as well as media/file storage). Based on the reading I've done thus far over this long weekend, it seems I'm better off investing money in 10gbE direct connection between my VM host and FN box. At some point next year I'd like to go all SSD's. I'd love to know what IX's recommendations are for SSD drives.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd love to know what IX's recommendations are for SSD drives.
What, you don't care about how we feel about SSDs? My feelings are hurt. Well maybe not.

If you are just talking about creating a vdev/pool of SSDs then just go out and buy a good quality brand. I personally like Samsung 850 Pro if I were to build a SSD pool. A lot will depend on the pool size you need and the money you can spend. For me the use case also matters as I would never spend money for a SSD pool if all I were doing was hosting video content, not saying your are. Of course if you have the money then you can build whatever you desire, and then I'd shoot for the high end Intel SSDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.