What can I build for $1000?

Higgins909

Cadet
So I'm currently using my old gaming computer as a home storage server, running CentOS, if I remember right. I've been wanting to build more of a advanced storage server. I think I decided on ZFS and some ssd caching. It was a while ago that I originally looked into this. I currently have no raid, just a bunch of drives that I've bought. Cheapest GB per $. I buy them as I need them. I have some other SSD's I can pull from unused computers, but they're only 128gb if I remember right. I would eventually want to get 10GBe installed. I currently use this storage server for my steam games and other junk. (I have about 4tb+ of games installed, I swap them out onto a ssd when I actively play the game)

My current specs are,
AMD Athlon x4 II 640 propus
12gb ram, 2x2gb & 2x4gb
Asrock M3A770DE motherboard
128gb ssd
2x4tb seagate baracuda
1x8tb seagate baracude
Rosewill Throne case, with like 10 3.5" tray/bays.
GPU is only put in when I need to. It's all desktop grade hardware. I think I listed everything.

I've been using this hardware for maybe 4 years as a server, but bought the mobo, cpu, and some of the ram in 2011-2012. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to keep it and build it up. I was wanting to get some sort of storage card, and 4 8tb+ drives and use ssd caching. With what I have, or buy new. Then later down the road when it becomes cheaper, add 10GBe to both my desktop and server. I'll need a switch too. It doesn't have to be hitting the full 10GBe, but maybe 3-4GBe? I know drives are going to take the majority of the budget.

TL;DR, should I use my existing hardware? What can I build with ssd caching, but storage orientated that can utilize 10GBe in the future. $1000 or less.

Thanks,
Higgins909

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I would recommend browsing the existing threads as a starting point. It will give you a good idea about your options.

As to the "core" question, I would not recommend investing in the existing machine but look for used enterprise gear on ebay.

ThreeDee

Guru
If you want a decent setup on the cheap (like me) .. then the setup in my sig might be right up your alley .. looking on Ebay .. and some Newegg
x79T motherboard = $100'ish
E5-2695 v2 = $120'ish
4 x 16GB ECC RDIMMS = $125'ish
GPU = $10'ish
Intel NIC = $20'ish
128GB M.2 NVMe SSD = $20'ish
Noctua Heatsink/Fan = $60'ish
HBA & Cables = $40'ish
750wtt 80+Gold = $100'ish

Average CPU Mark
rating

Single Thread Rating: 1535

Quad Channel memory at about DDR4 (Dual-Channel) performance for a lot cheaper.

anyways .. that's my 2 pesos worth of input/recommendations from personal experience.

AVB

Contributor
Believe it or not I had an ASRock 770Extreme with an AMD X6 athlon that was an upgrade from an even older system so I know that will work. It isn't going to be the fastest system but it will stream movies or music. That MB has 2 PCI-E 16 slots but the one the HBA would plug into is only a 4x electrically and the HBA really needs an 8X slot optimally. That is one bottleneck that only a hardware upgrade can over come but it will work.

You'll need an HBA with IT firmware and the cables as mentioned and 3 more 4TB drives (~$50 ea) You could get by with 2 but 3 gives you more breathing room. Unless you only have a 430W power supply you should be able to use what you have, I started with a 600W and had 8 2tb drives running. If you do get 3 more drives increase your memory to 16GB if you only get 2 more drives then the 12 you have4 will work. You want 500MB of memory for every TB of storage unless you are doing CPU intensive work and then it is 1gb for every TB. You'll also want 2 SSD drives so you can mirror your boot. It is hard to find 32GB drives now so whatever you can come up with will have to do. You already have a 120 so probably another 120 will be easiest.

That is as cheap as you can get and it will get you feet wet to see if you like TrueNas. Upgrades can come later as you can afford them. Now if you have already done the research and have decided that TrueNas is the best way to go then something more robust as suggested above is a better option although I disagree that 64GB of ram is needed right off the bat.
My two pennies worth