First Truenas build - threadripper or xeon?

diazhernawan

Cadet
Hello, i’ve been reading the forums and documentation for the past few months and i figured o ask the forum for the build im planning.
I already have a seperate server for backup & cold storage.

I run a small editing studio with 2 other editors and we’re planning to upgrade our network to 10gbe in the next month. The reason is mainly because we want a centralized location for all of our video data.
We’re all running windows 10.

Requirements:
  1. Streaming speed of 500mbp/s
  2. 2-3 people hitting the server at the same time
  3. Server will be running for around 12 hours a day. (Basically only when we’re working)
  4. Planning to run Truenas Scale
  5. 1 VM running with 4 cores & 4gb Ram.

No transcoding.
Ipmi is nice to have but not essential as the server room will be next to our editing bay.

I live in indonesia and here used server parts are scarce. But i found some good deals on 1st gen epyc and 1st gen threadripper cpu.

Boot media will be 2x128 kingston ssd.
Chelsio/intel 10gbe nic
LSI HBA card
Drives are 16 x 4tb segate ironwolf in a stripped mirror (raid 10)
128gb ecc ram
500gb L2arc

Im thinking of doing either this build:

Option 1
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte x399 aorus pro
$600

Option 2
Intel Xeon e5-2667 v3
Supermicro X10DRH-I LGA2011
$460

From what i read in this forum, for SMB people seems to be recommending higher clock cpu over cores, thus the threadripper. The treadripper also seems to be more energy efficient on paper.

I need a sanity check, are these builds enough is it build overkill for my needs? Will i be better served with some intel i3 or xeon e3?

Thank you so much in advance. Cant wait to delve deeper into truenas :)

NugentS

MVP
6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
Supermicro board can take 2 CPU's and the E5-2667 v3 is a 2S CPU

I would go with the Intel, but double up on the CPU's. Yes they are slightly slower but the motherboard is server grade rather than a gamer board.