Slow Transfer on SSD Pool

Hi,

I recently build a new NAS system with Truenas on it. It has quite good specs: dual 10 core intel xeon 2690v3, 128gb RAM, and a Mellanox Connect-x4 dual 100gbit/s card. I have 2 pools in the system. one consists of 16 2tb WD RED SA500 SSDs and it is a mirrored pool 8 x MIRROR | 16 wide. I have another Server (in the following called client) with the same Mellanox card and they are both connected to a Mikrotik switch via a 40gb link. I have tested the Fiber link between the servers with iperf and it is (almost)40gbit. see picture below
1674025340941.png

I have run this iperf test a few times and always get the same result within a little variation.

The SSDs should each be capable of ca. 500mb/s reads and writes. So in a pool of 16 drives in a mirrors it should give me in theory 8x500mb/s = 4Gb/s of Read/ Write speed. This is just theoretical so I am not expecting that kind of speed.
When I then Try to create a NFS share on the Truenas and mount it on the second Server (which I will Client with the 40bg link) and copy some isos between them I only get around 300mb/s of transfer speed from the Truenas to the Client.
1674026147105.png

When doing it the other way around (Client to Server) it is a little faster and I get around 500-600mb/s
1674026752533.png

The Storage on the client is also an nvme SSD (Samsung pm9a3 u.2) which should easily handle at least 3gb/s reads and 1,5gb/s writes (benchmarked on linux)

Any idea on this? can I still tweak any settings for the Network cards or truenas?
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Davvo

MVP
Units terminology please.

The 530-560 are sequential speeds; look at the fio command and jgreco's solnet array to test your drivers and pool performance, but it's normal for mirrors to have write speeds lower than read's.

Please read the following resource:

I would say it's not a networking issue.

Last edited: