Extremely poor one-sided network performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayanWarden

Dabbler
So, just to make sure I didn't miss something: you are able to download files from the internet just fine on your desktop? Not just speedtest, but actual download?
Yes.
MEGA downloads etc. run at full speed.
Steam also downloads with full... steam.
I can stream youtube videos in 4k (which wouldnt be possible with 3 MBit/s )

Etc.

Nick2253

Wizard
I believe that Steam and MEGA use their own proprietary delivery protocol for better download speed. If you download something directly from the web, does that change anything?

For example, downloading a test file: http://speedtest.tele2.net/

JayanWarden

Dabbler
I believe that Steam and MEGA use their own proprietary delivery protocol for better download speed. If you download something directly from the web, does that change anything?

For example, downloading a test file: http://speedtest.tele2.net/

One single file didn't get me enough stress on my network:
U2Ffct2.png

So i went ahead and downloaded a whole bunch of file, from different servers on tele and totally different websites, like NVidia for their driver download
zN5fUHl.png

Nick2253

Wizard
GAAAHHHH!!!! This is so freaking weird!

I'm am completely stumped here. I want to blame the NIC or the driver, but I don't see how that could be possible with these test results. It's not like one protocol is being weird. It works for some server (internet), but not for other servers (local). Direct connected, you still have the problem. Connecting between two PCs, you still have the problem.

At this point, the only thing I could possibly think is somehow local IPs are being slowed down. Are you sure you don't have some QoS or firewall or something on this computer?

My extreme solution is to try and reinstall Windows. However, I hate that as a "solution" because it's really just a work around.

Something just occurred to me: what happens if you forward port 80 or 443 to your FreeNAS, and try to connect via your public IP to the WebDAV share? (I would probably suggest setting up a firewall rule to only allow your IP to access this so you're not forwarding it to the whole world.) Depending on your router/firewall, this loopback traffic may or may not work by default, so you might have to create a rule that allows this. Or if you can try connecting via your mobile device if you can tether it.

JayanWarden

Dabbler
Something just occurred to me: what happens if you forward port 80 or 443 to your FreeNAS, and try to connect via your public IP to the WebDAV share? (I would probably suggest setting up a firewall rule to only allow your IP to access this so you're not forwarding it to the whole world.) Depending on your router/firewall, this loopback traffic may or may not work by default, so you might have to create a rule that allows this. Or if you can try connecting via your mobile device if you can tether it.

I don't know if that tells us anything.
My upload bandwidth is just 6 MBit/s.

Nick2253

Wizard
That's true. So that would rule out mobile tethering.

However, if you do the loop back, it shouldn't actually hit your ISP. Your router can loop the traffic back through. Basically, what I'm trying to test is if traffic coming from a non-local IP range behaves differently than traffic from a local IP.

JayanWarden

Dabbler
That's true. So that would rule out mobile tethering.

However, if you do the loop back, it shouldn't actually hit your ISP. Your router can loop the traffic back through. Basically, what I'm trying to test is if traffic coming from a non-local IP range behaves differently than traffic from a local IP.
Well would you look at that!
You were right. My router just loops back. And look at the bandwidth!

J7y02dX.png

Nick2253

Wizard
Ok, so that brings us back to something being really screwed up local IPs. Like I said, I would predict that this is a firewall or AV network filtering driver acting up, and significantly blocking inbound traffic. Usually, though, it would be the other way around: local IPs work fine, remote IPs are slow.

Can you check the network adapter list of items? In English, it's "This connection uses the following items:", the main list after you open the network adapter properties. There might be something in there. Maybe a VPN driver, perhaps?

JayanWarden

Dabbler
Ok, so that brings us back to something being really screwed up local IPs. Like I said, I would predict that this is a firewall or AV network filtering driver acting up, and significantly blocking inbound traffic. Usually, though, it would be the other way around: local IPs work fine, remote IPs are slow.

Can you check the network adapter list of items? In English, it's "This connection uses the following items:", the main list after you open the network adapter properties. There might be something in there. Maybe a VPN driver, perhaps?
Found it. I am too lazy to stitch some screenshots together, so i am just gonna write down the checked elements (loosely translated):

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer sharing for microsoft networks
QoS Packetplanner
IPv4
Microsoft LLDP driver
IPv6
answer for link-layer topology discovery
E/A Driver for connection layer topology detection

I am going to try again tomorrow with disabled QoS

Nick2253

Wizard
If IPv6 is also checked, you might try unchecking it along with QoS. LLDP can be unchecked as well, but I doubt it would be causing our problem.

You might also want to check in device manager to see if anything is hanging out under "Network Adapters" (Do View->Show Hidden Devices to see everything).

JayanWarden

Dabbler
If IPv6 is also checked, you might try unchecking it along with QoS. LLDP can be unchecked as well, but I doubt it would be causing our problem.

You might also want to check in device manager to see if anything is hanging out under "Network Adapters" (Do View->Show Hidden Devices to see everything).

I restarted my NIC after changing the options (disable -> enable)
Here is a file transfer with those options disabled:
TeL8quQ.png

Here is a file transfer with the options enabled:
DK1ysXz.png

Here is my device manager:
yTJGyIc.png

The NDIS device is my smartphone. It is not connected, I sometimes tether my mobile data plan when my ISP drops out.

Nick2253

Wizard
This is definitely one of those weird situations.

I'm not exactly sure what the correct solution is moving forward. Obviously those options have an impact, but it's not like QoS is responsible for 100% of the slow down (you're not getting up to full speed).

JayanWarden

Dabbler
I updated to 11.1 U2, but that did not help.

I am considering buying a PCIe NIC for testing... Maybe the NIC in my PC is broken. But then again, why only between data transfer between my PC and my Server on a local network?

EDIT:
I remember it was also between my Laptop and my PC...

But then again, why can I download from the internet at full speed?

Last edited:

suivax

Cadet
Hi guys, I happen to find this post.. I've been struggling with the same performance issues in FreeNAS as Jayan. I think it has something to do with poor flow control. The transfers will be 1.35MB a second, which is horrible for a gigabit connection. Using authentic Intel NICs in the FreeNAS server and PC. My internet connection is 100mbit throughput and I achieve that no problem with downloads. It's only transfers from the PC to the FreeNAS server. The same issue is experienced when uploading files to the FreeNAS box via the Owncloud service. The FreeNAS software or NICs just do a poor job of determining flow control, because those transfers that start off doing 1.35MB a second will eventually speed up, but it takes a long time; usually 3-5 minutes and that varies. No elaborate configs and no link aggregation are setup on this device. Sometimes transfers are fast, and sometimes they are horribly slow. It is the strangest thing.

Jello

Cadet
I have a similar problem. I have 2 dual port 10gbe cards one in a Win 7 and the other in FN.
One port is used as a gigabit network connected to my router and the net and the other port is a point to point 10 gigabit connection with no switch.
For testing I installed a Samsung 950 m2 drive in the FN box, on my win7 machine I have a Samsung 960 m2.
I mapped the network share to my win7 box.
I get about 1.2 GB/s when copying win7 to FN, but slow speed about 200 MB/s copying from FN to win7.
If I disable the slower network on my win7 machine, I get full speed, 1.2 GB/s both ways.
For me I think the problem lies with windows 7.
If you are having issues with slow speed and are using dual port nics, try disabling one of the ports.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.