Slow speed after upgrade from Core to Scale

DanielDvore

Cadet
Hello, yesterday i upgraded Truenas Core to Scale via USB and saving all the configurations. When it was done i realized that my transfer speeds from windows to the server went down from 112 MB/s to 12MB/s. It start at 100 and quickly falls as low as 7MB/s. Dashborad doesn't show high cpu or ram usage. I tried to delete and create SMB shares, I reinstalled Scale from 0 deleting all partitions left from Core and the problem is still there. Anyone knows what's wrong?
As I said, truenas core was giving me constant 112MB/s and now It can't hold 20Mb/s.

My Setup:

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor
8GB ram ddr3
160 Hdd for system and 4x1TB HDD running raid 5

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm just taking a stab at this but are you transferring a lot of smaller files vice a single large file?

When testing throughput, you must perform the same exact testing each and every time. Also for transfer speed testing the file must be quite a bit larger than the ARC or you get invalid results. Also, testing should be done on a dataset with all compression turned off.

There are a huge amount of threads on this forum about throughput issues and I would suggest you read them for some advice on how to test and obtain reproducible results.

Please understand that I'm not trying to discredit you having an actual problem, but you did not provide enough detail to show that you have a reproducible problem, nor the details on how you performed the tests. Maybe you do have a real problem, proper testing will tell.

Good luck and I hope you are able to find out if you have a real or just perceived problem.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
4x1TB HDD running raid 5
Point of clarity here - is this used to mean a RAIDZ1 single-parity vdev configured within TrueNAS, or have you used a hardware/software "fakeRAID" configuration to make a single drive which is then visible as a single disk to TrueNAS?

TrueNAS CORE is also based on FreeBSD, whereas TrueNAS SCALE is based on Debian Linux - so you may have wildly different levels of driver support and functionality.