TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.2.1 slow SMB write speed

speedtriple

Explorer
Latest SCALE working very good.
But maybe there are some improvements to be done on SMB write speed, as mentioned by many others.

With Syncthing I get transfer rate from pc to TrueNAS SCALE averaging writing 100 MB/s and even peaking at 110-120 MB/s on my 1Gb network (this was a 1.4 TB folder transfer/sync). So Syncthing appears to maxing out the network limit vs TrueNAS SCALE.

But with Black Magic Speed Test only 30 MB/s write speed - using SMB network drive.
Read speed seems very good at 100 MB/s.

I assume this is due to the SMB performance with SCALE?
Never did this test on CORE.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    382.1 KB · Views: 300

indivision

Guru
I just tested this, transferring a large file out (read) and then back in (write) to an SMB share on Scale. It was hitting around 110MB/s both directions for me.

There are quite a lot of factors/settings that could impact speed. But, it doesn't appear to be a Scale limitation.

[Just an idea from looking at your specs in signature, is it possible that your VM's are impacting available RAM and writing to the share is relying on multiple HDD write speeds?]

speedtriple

Explorer
I just tested this, transferring a large file out (read) and then back in (write) to an SMB share on Scale. It was hitting around 110MB/s both directions for me.

There are quite a lot of factors/settings that could impact speed. But, it doesn't appear to be a Scale limitation.

[Just an idea from looking at your specs in signature, is it possible that your VM's are impacting available RAM and writing to the share is relying on multiple HDD write speeds?]
Maybe VM's yes, but do not think so. Think it is the Black Magic Design Disk Test type of files.

Did a test with copy/paste from windows. Then speed is around 100-110 MB/s on large files both read and write.
Writing folders with smaller files/photos dropping to 80-90 MB/s, also somewhat slower read speeds with small files.

So SCALE is probably working as it should then, and maybe will be faster with SMB small files later on(?)

Syncthing seems to keep max speed both with small and large filetypes.

indivision

Guru
They have mentioned doing optimization work moving forward on Scale. So, that could be the case.

Another possibility for the current difference is that Syncthing might do some local processing before sending over network. So, a group of small files are sent as one larger archive of some kind.